First look at AMD X INTEL, new INTEL NUC has AMD vega Graphics

pyconaut

Just noticed this a few minutes ago.

http://www.pcgamer.com/leaked-photos-show-an-intel-nuc-with-kaby-lake-cpu-and-vega-gpu/

I already guessed AMD x Intel was going to go after small form factor to combat MXM on Nvidia, but I did not think it would be so soon.

As Pc gamer Said,

Now a photo has emerged showing the MCM plopped into a NUC (Next Unit of Computing), reinforcing our belief that it won't be just laptops that benefit from Intel and AMD working together.

As I said in the post I was writing about VR a few minutes ago, this will help bring down the cost of VR significantly in the long run as small form factor designs lower the cost of VR backpacks.  I also think this will cause Nviidia to double down on MXM form factor cards, which will make laptops and small form factor desktops much cheaper to upgrade (currently upgrading my Sager SLI laptop from dual GTX 765M's to GTX 980M's would cost $1000 dollars at the very least (dual 1080's draw to much power as LTT has shown (I am not carrying another 3 pound power brick))).  Also based on the NUC specs, it should be able to drive current gen VR.

This has become the age of mini computers, but none have nearly enough RGB.  

@LinusTech Have Luke build a new VR backpack with one of these NUC's, and RGB!

18 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Its most likely Polaris

Imho vega also doesn't make much sense since it just eats all the power and then heats that little nuc up till it explodes. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

Imho vega also doesn't make much sense since it just eats all the power and then heats that little nuc up till it explodes. 

Vega is very power efficient, idk what you're talking about. You can't compare this to the Vega 56/64...

But can it even stand against mx150

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Vega is very power efficient, idk what you're talking about. You can't compare this to the Vega 56/64...

Fun fact: the only vega cards we know are the 56 and 64 and they eat like what, 80-150w more than the Nvidia counterpart? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Fun fact: the only vega cards we know are the 56 and 64 and they eat like what, 80-150w more than the Nvidia counterpart? 

But if you paid attention to some reviews and testing, you would know how much overblown the stock voltage on these cards is which in addition to the underwhelming cooler contributes also to a big power leakage.

Undervolting greatly reduces power consumption and even helps in improving performance.

You can get Vega 56 to outperform GTX1070 while it will consume only marginaly more power.

Vega power consumption scales very well with low voltages.

8 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

11 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

i assumed that polaris wouldnt have a memory controller for hbm2 i guess :P

not only that but at this smaller gpu sizes gcn's scaling problems go away, (more rops and tmus per Compute unit)(gcn is limited to 64 rops, and 4 pipelines right now)

Just now, FloRolf said:

Vega's poor scaling happens past 1GHz, and you're talking about desktop add-in cards which released with ridiculous stock voltages.

30 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

why so?

geekbench GPU code points to Polaris

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

But can it even stand against mx150

With 24 polaris compute units probably yes

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

iRucKdX8FZJUit8XdYqvWV-650-80.jpg

A nice single waterblock for CPU & GPU would do this nicely.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

But if you paid attention to some reviews and testing, you would know how much overblown the stock voltage on these cards is which in addition to the underwhelming cooler contributes also to a big power leakage.

Undervolting greatly reduces power consumption and even helps in improving performance.

You can get Vega 56 to outperform GTX1070 while it will consume only marginaly more power.

Vega power consumption scales very well with low voltages.

Was it not a 1080? The 56 normally beat the 1070 at stock. If AMD had not attempted to push the architecture so hard they would have had a card which people would have been pleased to buy. Just like the R9 290/X stock card where a decrease in frequency of ~7 % actually gives you a performance boost overall, the card would otherwise be slamming into its thermal limit and throttling down to 500 MHz.

2 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Overclocked VEGA consumes a ton of power such as in RX VEGA 56 and RX VEGA 64.

Normally clocked VEGA is rather efficient such as in the Ryzen 5 and 7 2500U/2700U SOCs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AbeTrve said:

Vega's poor scaling happens past 1GHz, and you're talking about desktop add-in cards which released with ridiculous stock voltages.

Scale well or not, the fact they can't pump enough of those out for the consumers already excludes it from being a candidate.

And the costs, dang, i be surprised if AMD can make enough to justify pumping out the least amount as they can right now without getting backlashed.

51 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Scale well or not, the fact they can't pump enough of those out for the consumers already excludes it from being a candidate.

And the costs, dang, i be surprised if AMD can make enough to justify pumping out the least amount as they can right now without getting backlashed.

they probably are focusing the supply more to the ssg's and other enterprise versions, that use the same pcb and sell for a lot more

4 hours ago, FloRolf said:

They're overclocked out of the box. drop the clock speed and they become insanely efficient.

This is not a NUC but a Zotac Zbox, also polaris not vega. #knowyourshitLTTforum

17 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Umm except this isn't a Vegas card... If it's Vega, it would be a discrete Vega10 connected via EMIB just like Raven's Ridge has Vega10 connected via InfinityFabric.

16 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Was it not a 1080? The 56 normally beat the 1070 at stock. If AMD had not attempted to push the architecture so hard they would have had a card which people would have been pleased to buy.

They pushed the vega64 so hard because they were so ridiculously late to market. They thought after all that time if we they don't at least match the gtx 1080 at stock it would be embarrassing.

If I was them I would have released only 1 vega discrete GPU for the gaming market. Fully unlocked (like the vega64) but at vega56 clocks. So then at stock power consumption would have been reasonable like vega56. And price it like 1070ti. If people want to overclock it and make it very power hungry to be a bit faster just leave it to them... 

Vega64 load power consumption is almost 100 watts higher than vega56. Which clearly shows that they have allowed the clocks to stray far outside the peak efficiency zone..