Samsung Galaxy S4 Catches On Fire, Samsung Wants You to Keep Quiet

snowComet

A Canadian, Richard Wygand, put his Galaxy s4 on an official charger and went to sleep. He was then woke up by the smell of burning electonics, and found his phone was on fire. Samsung legal requested a video proof of this claim before Wygand could have a replacement, so he uploaded on on youtube.

After seeing that video, Samsung legal contacted Wygand again with a letter, saying they would replace Wygand's phone with a similar model, if he would remove the video, never told anyone what happened, and take no further actions in the future.

Upset about this, Wygand posted another video about his frustrations with the company and its attempted coverup.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=36415

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/1s97zr/samsung_galaxy_s4_catches_on_fire_samsung_wants/

Oh wow, my S4 charger us a little weird aswell :/

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Great thing about Apple is that they actually replace your stuff, no questions asked, if it's a known problem.  Even if you bring in an out of warranty Mac that is having a problem, like I did, they diagnose the problem for free, meanwhile a PC repair shop will charge you for everything.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Tell everyone

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Great thing about Apple is that they actually replace your stuff, no questions asked, if it's a known problem.  Even if you bring in an out of warranty Mac that is having a problem, like I did, they diagnose the problem for free, meanwhile a PC repair shop will charge you for everything.

I recommend you learn to recommend your own stuff, putting that sort of stuff helps in job applications according to my older brother.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Woooow. Will everybody staph hating on samsung? I have the note 3 and its the best phone ever. Whats everybody's problem? The fact they fit all this shit in this slim body is amazing. Now Im no fanboy of samsung personally because heck I think theres no competitor to the ipod. But still, you do have to pay a premium but I dont see another better phone out there.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Woooow. Will everybody staph hating on samsung? I have the note 3 and its the best phone ever. Whats everybody's problem? The fact they fit all this shit in this slim body is amazing. Now Im no fanboy of samsung personally because heck I think theres no competitor to the ipod. But still, you do have to pay a premium but I dont see another better phone out there.

No one is questioning the quality of the Note 3 here, this is mostly about the behaviour of Samsung. This kind of behaviour suggests they know there is an issue with the S4. 

A company delivers a faulty product, the customer seeks compensation for said product, and then the company tries to blackmail the customer. (See WarZ or Day One Garry's Incident

Regardless of whether or not this story is true, Samsung is blatantly at fault here, and yet you make it sound like they have done nothing wrong and instead praise their company.

If that's not being a fanboy then I don't know what is

Streisand Effect!

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

Wow, that contract was a load of bullshit, Apple or Sony give this man a phone[With no strings attached] and make him a customer for life.

This just put another nail in Samsung for me... glad i don't own a mainstream phone, absolute power corrupts absolutely and Samsung obviously has too much right now.

^If this isn't blatant fanboyism due to one owning said company's phone i'll go throw a puppy off my apartment. This is about Samsung's PR and business policy bullshit.

And 'better' is relative,

I went for an Xperia Z1 because i want an excellent camera that produces realistic images and a product that feels like quality in the hand - aluminium and glass, this phone is better than the Note 3 for me.

My friend went for a HTC One Mini because the camera is decent, it is made of Aluminium, fits his hands and pocket without being obtrusively big, the HTC One Mini is a better phone than the Note 3 for him.

My sister went for an iPhone 5s, because it fits her small hands and has iOs - the iPhone is better than the Note 3.

People need to stop overreacing. If you own Samsung and you replace someone's phone in the rare event that it caught fire. (seriously, there are millions of them out there.) and that person posted a video about it, wouldn't you ask them nicely to remove it. Simple logic. Did they go to his house and beat him to a pulp after warning him to remove the video? NO. I really don't understand why this is news

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

iPhone 5s my friend. It beats the crap out of rubbish unreliable samsung products. I bought a 2012 smart tv samsung which lasted a year and a half, whilst i still have a retro 1980's Toshiba TV in the attic that works just fine. Goes to tell you that Samsung have appalling quality and i will never ever buy a samsung product again, whether it be a TV, a phone, a fridge or a washing machine.... 

LG TV's and Apple phones or HTC Phones are the stuff you should buy. At least they have very good quality.

Edit: Just realised, if you want the most reliable phone get a Nokia 3310 :)

I wouldn't really trust this unless Samsung officially made a statement about this saying whether or not this is true as they would probably ask them to send them the phone and the charger for them to analyze and to see if it is their problem.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Oh noes im using my GS4 to type this right now.

And I sleep with my phone beside me charging with the screen on showing the time.

People need to stop overreacing. If you own Samsung and you replace someone's phone in the rare event that it caught fire. (seriously, there are millions of them out there.) and that person posted a video about it, wouldn't you ask them nicely to remove it. Simple logic. Did they go to his house and beat him to a pulp after warning him to remove the video? NO. I really don't understand why this is news

I wouldn't say people are overreacting, if you read the letter that Samsung sent him, it's not, "We're sorry, we'll send you a new phone. And could you please remove the video now that the issue is resolved?", it's "Remove the video and we'll send you a new phone".

It's "do this to get a new phone, so our company doesn't look bad", not "Heres a new phone, can you help keep our companies image?".

I wouldn't really trust this unless Samsung officially made a statement about this saying whether or not this is true as they would probably ask them to send them the phone and the charger for them to analyze and to see if it is their problem.

But then they'd be admitting that they actually HAD done it, and if they lie saying that they haven't, then that's worse.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Wow, that's a huge dick move from Samsung.

Does anyone know if he used the official charger and the stock battery? There are people that have said their Samsung phones has busted into flames in the past, and it has then been relieved that they for example put it in the microwave, or used third party batteries.

I'm definitely going to trust a Pastebin'd letter ...

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

iPhone 5s my friend. It beats the crap out of rubbish unreliable samsung products. I bought a 2012 smart tv samsung which lasted a year and a half, whilst i still have a retro 1980's Toshiba TV in the attic that works just fine. Goes to tell you that Samsung have appalling quality and i will never ever buy a samsung product again, whether it be a TV, a phone, a fridge or a washing machine.... 

LG TV's and Apple phones or HTC Phones are the stuff you should buy. At least they have very good quality.

Edit: Just realised, if you want the most reliable phone get a Nokia 3310 :)

Note 3 is ten million times better than a 5s. Even my apple fanboy friend agreed.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

i'm pretty sure they have to replace his phone (assuming it is still under warranty) regardless if he tells people or not.

Note 3 is ten million times better than a 5s. Even my apple fanboy friend agreed.

Thats a funny joke mate!

Wow, one phone burns and this all the proof iphone fanboys need to have a stab at Samsung.  Did no-one consider it may be a freak on one off? surge maybe? this bloke could have dropped his phone in the sink and decided this was the best way to get a new one.   For the record apple are just as much dicks to their customers as any other company is, so get off the fanboy wagon.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Thats a funny joke mate!

Clearly u don't know phones then.