EA is buying Respawn Entertainment, the developers of Titanfall

Bouzoo

RespawnEntertainmentEALogos.jpg

As it turns out, just a week after shutting down Visceral Games, EA is buying another studio for over $400 million all together (apparently $455 million). Fairly interesting timing I have to admit. Until now, EA were only publishers for Respawn. But there is not a lot to say here about the whole thing.

Quote from Eurogamer:

EA has announced it will buy Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment.

The agreement will see EA pay $151 million in cash for Respawn, up to $164 million in long-term equity, and a maximum of $140 million in performance milestone payments.

According to Kotaku, South Korean publisher Nexon, which published the Titanfall mobile game, had made an offer to buy Respawn first. EA apparently had 30 days to match Nexon's offer, which they ultimately chose to do.

During the acquisition announcement, EA confirmed that Respawn currently has three games in development: a new entry in the Titanfall franchise, a new Star Wars game, and a VR gaming experience. The latter is almost certainly the "super secret" new VR game that Respawn announced for Oculus earlier this year. It's scheduled for release in 2019.

Quote from Kotaku:

EA said in a press release that the deal is worth $455 million, a number that includes cash, equity, and performance milestone payments. Respawn staff have spent the past few weeks exchanging whispers about a potential sale, two sources said, although there was no concrete news until the studio informed employees about the deal in a meeting today. Earlier this week, one source with access to some of Respawn’s forthcoming plans sent us what they said was a version of the acquisition contract, which reveals that EA is paying over $400 million for the Los Angeles-based studio. According to various documents sent by that source, EA outbid the South Korean publisher Nexon, which publishes the Titanfall mobile game and had also made an offer to buy Respawn. EA had 30 days to match that offer, which they chose to do.

Respawn will also receive bonuses tied to Metacritic scores for both its upcoming Star Wars game and the unannounced Titanfall 3, according to that documentation.

Respawn CEO says they will have their freedom, but lets's wait and see. In all honestly we're talking EA here:

We started Respawn with the goal to create a studio with some of the best talent in the industry, and to be a top developer of innovative games. We felt that now was the time to join an industry leader that brings the resources and support we need for long term success, while still keeping our culture and creative freedom.

I am fairly curious what people here think about that since their Titanfall games got a lot of praise here. I personally haven't played them, but as far as I know the games have a good fan base, even with low sales, and are being praised for not going the new EA route of loot boxes and micro transactions while still being good games. i have a feeling that might change. 

Sources: 12

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

16 minutes ago, Inkz said:

3-4 years later in the news "EA closes Respawn Entertainment"

Front page on Kotaku says everything:

image.png.f463d6c1b485d60519c291dca1354c96.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I'm hating EA more and more each day. The only thing they are good at is killing devs, killing franchises and having insanely high pricing.

WwvzQii.png

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Inkz said:

2 years later, Titan Fall: Civil War, the most hard-core shooter with Mech-Lincoln and Robo-Lee.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Eh, Titanfall wasn't that good anyways.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

I laugh, but that could actually be a good game idea.

Hopefully I just saved Respawn Entertainment from shutting down. xD

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They were actually very good. The second one sadly suffered from launching so close to Battlefield 1. It deserved better.

Added: Of course being an Origin exclusive harmed it a LOT too. Imagine if it was on steam. It would have sold like hot cakes.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I thought there was a reason the developers at Respawn split off from Capcom(or Activision, I forget which)....

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I thought there was a reason the developers at Respawn split off from Capcom(or Activision, I forget which)....

They split from Activision. Respawn is just Infinity Ward with a different name.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

They were actually very good. The second one sadly suffered from launching so close to Battlefield 1. It deserved better.

The only thing really good about the entire series was Titanfall 2's campaign. Otherwise, it plays significantly like a MW1 feel, with jump movement, and most of the battles feels like it comes down to RNG and not skill in any capacity. It's still decent, but I wouldn't be sad if the series and servers died tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They split from Infinity Ward, basically because they wanted to make a game just like TitanFall but Ghost was already being pushed into production.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Well normally I would be annoyed by EA killing another franchise I loved but I don't buy EA published games anymore so nothing of value was lost.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

titanfall 2 singleplayer was really good.

Well, we had a good run Respawn, I guess Titanfall 3 will never happen now... massive fu*k you to EA 

My PC is running and I can't catch it....

oh no

and I was excited to speedrun TF3, but it'll probably be a microtransaction

oh well

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

5 hours ago, Inkz said:

They'll cannibalise TF3 by filling it with loot boxes and microtransactions, blame Respawn when it doesn't sell, force them to make a TF RTS then close them down because the RTS flopped.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

They split from Infinity Ward, basically because they wanted to make a game just like TitanFall but Ghost was already being pushed into production.

I'm sorry but what? Respawn was formed by a team of ex IW employees who left the studios and sued Activision when Activision didn't pay them millions owed in royalty payments from previous COD titles because Activision claimed they had planned to form a new studio under EAs umbrella instead (and well, look at this very thread.....)

https://venturebeat.com/2012/05/31/activision-settles-lawsuit-with-former-infinity-ward-heads-west-and-zampella/

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)