Is My Roommate Cheating?

MrImnotMLG

Is My Roommate Cheating?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is My Roommate Cheating?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's a little complicated.

So a little poll for you guys to ask if what my roommate is doing is wrong or not.

Background:

I go to college in Vermont and my roommate is from D.C. He has a "girlfriend" whom he has not broken up with but has expressed that he wishes to do so. He doesn't want to call it off until he has another girlfriend. He goes onto tinder(I mean really? He thinks he's going to find someone on there?) to try and find girls. Luckily the three dates in the past month he has attempted to go on have catfished him in different ways.

Because he has tried to go on dates with other girls, do you think he's cheating?

Edit: I know my comments seem to tell other wise but, I do NOT plan on confronting him again. This poll was more to see if I was wrong on what was going on.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

absolute scumbag

he is stringing along this poor girl simply so he doesnt have to be "single" 

if you looked up douche-bag in the dictionary his picture would be next to it

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

1 minute ago, SlipperyPete said:

absolute scumbag

he is stringing along this poor girl simply so he doesnt have to be "single" 

if you looked up douche-bag in the dictionary his picture would be next to it

Pretty sure that's why. I confronted him about it and also another one of his friends ans he fervently denies it. He even claims it was his mom's idea.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Yes he is unoquivocally cheating on her. 

He might not have physically cheated on her (yet) but actively trying to go on a date with another person is close enough. 

Not wanting to be single is fucking stupid. Dump the gf, otherwise he’s just being a douche to her. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, MrImnotMLG said:

Pretty sure that's why. I confronted him about it and also another one of his friends ans he fervently denies it. He even claims it was his mom's idea.

Okay... so that just means his mom is a douche too...

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, Monte_Carlo said:

So man isn't cheating because he hasn't successfully hasn't found a new person to string along?  

I'll say this.  Even if you fail a test you cheated on... you still cheated.  

A.) Yup. That's his mentality.

B.) I'll use that analogy the next time it comes up.

1 minute ago, MrImnotMLG said:

Why get involved in the drama at all?  You've said your part on this matter.  Your best bet will be to try and avoid the fallout when it comes around. 

Just now, Monte_Carlo said:

Why get involved in the drama at all?  You've said your part on this matter.  Your best bet will be to try and avoid the fallout when it comes around. 

I won't get in his face about it. Just the next time he brings it up.

Quite frankly I do not suppose you have any saying on your roomate's life style, even if what he is doing is very jerk-ass worthy you're indeed better off minding your own business.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Don’t get into other peoples problems 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

I've always been of the opinion that you're kinda cheating if you do or say anything that you wouldn't be willing to do if your partner were sat in the same room with you. Sure its strict but its not a bad way to conduct yourself :) 

Why not tell his current GF about his cheating behavior? Or does she know and not care?

That way at least she can dump him, possibly publicly in front of everyone and feel slightly better about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

12 hours ago, MrImnotMLG said:

Are you stupid or something?  Don't discuss it with him at all.  He's half your rent and so unless you can afford a place on your own and associated moving costs, the only right move is to stay out of his shit entirely.  When co-habitating with other individuals it's always the smartest move to not take steps that produce unnecessary conflict.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Are you stupid or something?  Don't discuss it with him at all.  He's half your rent and so unless you can afford a place on your own and associated moving costs, the only right move is to stay out of his shit entirely.  When co-habitating with other individuals it's always the smartest move to not take steps that produce unnecessary conflict.

There’s definitely merit in that. Especially if this is a college roommate whom the OP otherwise has no attachment to (eg: it would be different if they were good friends that chose to room together long term). 

1. It's none of your business really, you can express that it's a little bang on to the person at home but that's all. You don't know about his relationship from home so you can't assume.
  2. Is he shagging them, kissing etc? Can't be sure if it's cheating, you can go on dates with the pretense of just friends.

Unless it's of paramount importance to you then stay out of it lad. No good losing a friendship over things like this.

17 minutes ago, Mug said:

you can go on dates with the pretense of just friends.

I'm gonna disagree with you on this. If you're just friends, you're not going on a date, you're hanging out with your friend.

The other points you made, I won't disagree with.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm gonna disagree with you on this. If you're just friends, you're not going on a date, you're hanging out with your friend.

The other points you made, I won't disagree with.

True, but Tinder can be far more nuanced than you'd expect. I have no personal 'just friends' dating experience but I've known it to happen with certain types of people.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

A.) You obviously didn't read the entirety of my post: "Edit: I know my comments seem to tell other wise but, I do NOT plan on confronting him again. This poll was more to see if I was wrong on what was going on. "

B.) Just for clarification: The apartment we live is in is rented out by the college and we pay for the semester up front(utilities included). I also pay for and cook all of my food.

26 minutes ago, Mug said:

True, but Tinder can be far more nuanced than you'd expect. I have no personal 'just friends' dating experience but I've known it to happen with certain types of people.

My personal definition of "date" would preclude "just friends" from dating - it would simply not fit the definition.

The word itself has many definitions, some of which could imply non-romantic, but it also implies non-social too (Eg: An appointment with your accountant).

The definition to which we adhere (going out to an event with someone), implies romantic connotations.

But I do recognize that other people apply the word "date" to non-romantic social gatherings - I just don't share that definition.

definitely cheating

i don't understand the need to cheat behind someone's back, if you don't feel like things don't work out, have a talk, then break up in a good way. No hate, no bullshit. Hurt, yes, but not as painful and obnoxious as found out cheating or straight dump the partner after you found another person

Is he cheating? No.

Is what he is doing socially acceptable? No...but that is subjective.

Should he end the current relationship before pursuing another? Yes.

Is he prepared if the situation backfires and she finds out and/or he is no relationship at all? Probably not.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:41 AM, L.Lawliet said:

Kids nowadays doesnt know how to respect women.. -_- 

A Scumbag like him wont find a Good Girl cause he didnt deserve it..although finding one is tough nowadays :( 

R/niceguys.......

@MrImnotMLG he is cheating, but best not to get involved, as he is your roommate and the bro code still applies.

Pathetic Behaviour. He is an Asshole.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO