Ryzen mobile announced

porina
1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Yeah Realized after I posted. I checked real quick before I began filling it out, but that was long ago because I don't make news posts that often and I had to fill it out by their guidelines which took some time as well as wording my opinion. Getting ready for work at the same time didn't help either.

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

How much vram does the MX150 or Mobile 1030 have? 
Obviously GDDR5 (right?) is faster than DDR3 or DDR4 especially for graphics cards. Shame I don't think mobile DDR4 comes much faster than 2400MHz, most of it is DDR4 2133MHz.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications

This shows 2GB of vram at 48 Gbps (sys ram on ryzen is about 27 Gbps on a good day) and it said to use 30W vs 15w nomial 25w max of the CPU GPU package.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

it will be as usual: AMD = superior iGPU performance but a little lacking in raw CPU performance

intel = superior CPU performance but the iGPU can't do shit

But slightly different this time as the Zen architecture means that it will only be slightly worse than intel whereas it used to be a massive difference :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

@Okjoek

Threads merged ;)

13 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Sorry but repost

^ Please use the report function, tagging a thread as a repost is against the CS.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But slightly different this time as the Zen architecture means that it will only be slightly worse than intel whereas it used to be a massive difference :) 

true ... it won't be a night an day difference like it used to. wich is a good thing. 

It's the Realm of Integrated graphics where I feel AMD's Acquisition of Radeon pays off the most. And I think it's the perfect spot for Vega to make its appearance as it has been shown to have great efficiency when power is reduced unlike the Vega 64 models.

As a casual gamer I've always had the mentality of this piece of comedy:

Like back in ~2008 before I got into PC building I was gaming on a Windows Vista machine that didn't even have Integrated graphics, but something on the motherboard and these APUs were like night and day for a good price.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

AMD is not mentioning Intel's Kaby Lake-R in their promo materials which gives me the impression that Intel is still better when it comes to power consumption.

3462FED4-9D41-4311-BE27-AF84C7ED2F32.thumb.png.4fd46abaa9bf667266d4a07237e59f2d.png

They mentioned Kaby Lake-R more often than not. What I'm surprised about is that they aren't also listing regular Kaby Lake just to piss on Intel (unless you are only referring to power consumption and not actual performance).

AMD uses DDR4 instead of LPDDR3.

And they use some power gating scheme that may somewhat negatively affect idle power but generally it should be pretty competitive if desktop is any indication.

In general it seems like their power controls are significantly more advanced and granular than Intel's but Intel has a great headstart in tweaking the power of their architecture and process node.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

They mentioned Kaby Lake-R more often than not. What I'm surprised about is that they aren't also listing regular Kaby Lake just to piss on Intel (unless you are only referring to power consumption and not actual performance).

AMD uses DDR4 instead of LPDDR3.

And they use some power gating scheme that may somewhat negatively affect idle power but generally it should be pretty competitive if desktop is any indication.

In general it seems like their power controls are significantly more advanced and granular than Intel's but Intel has a great headstart in tweaking the power of their architecture and process node.

intel has the advantage of having the best silicon nodes on the market, but ryzen's perf/watt is super good, its better than intel cpus on the desktop, i guess we will see what happens when the reviews arrive.

btw where is the ryzen 1700 asus notebook it disappeared.

capture-100739783-large.jpg

Okay so for games I play the specs using a 950M would be...

Planetside 2:

Why is this idiot playing it at max settings though?

Rocket League:

World of Tanks:

Minecraft:

Maybe some 720p PUBG? I don't actually play it, but my brother does.

Looked up Runescape, but didn't find any benchmarks, but I'm sure it will be fine.

So it looks like the GPU atleast might provide the horsepower for light gaming, but will I be able to find these laptops for ~600 USD like ones with the i5 8250U like an Acer Swift?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316247&cm_re=i5_8250u-_-34-316-247-_-Product

On 26/10/2017 at 3:54 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

It may even be better. Pretty sure zen was already more efficient so it may be able to hold higher clocks for longer

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

intel has the advantage of having the best silicon nodes on the market, but ryzen's perf/watt is super good, its better than intel cpus on the desktop, i guess we will see what happens when the reviews arrive.

btw where is the ryzen 1700 asus notebook it disappeared.

It was a niche product that Asus wasn't really promoting much from what I can tell. It's probably limited stock. I wasn't aware it was MiA though.

The fight has only begun for AMD, they will need to be as good as Intel IN THE WORST CASE for the next few generations, and maybe they might change their public image in 4-5 years.

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

PCWorld Article:

"

The two chips launched this morning are:

The Ryzen 7 2700U features four cores with symmetrical multi-threading and 10 compute units based on the Vega graphics architecture. The chip has a base clock speed of 2.2GHz and boost speed of 3.8GHz. The GPU will clock "up to" 1,300MHz.

The Ryzen 5 2500U also has four cores with SMT. The main difference between it ans the Ryzen 7 2700U is the graphics core and clock speed of the CPU and GPU. The Ryzen 5 has 8 compute units instead of 10, and its cores will clock up to 1,100MHz. The compute cores will hit 2GHz with a boost clock of 3.6GHz."

"Both chips are rated at 15-watt TDP"

I would say that I'm glad they're going with a single 4-core CCX, however, I'm hoping you can get DDR4 speeds running higher than 2400 on these chips since that will probably significantly affect both the CPU and GPU performance across the Infinity Fabric.  Now to wait for the actual benchmarks to be released...

Looking really great. These will be awesome for well priced laptops. 

Single CCX is great, also dual channel 2400Mhz memory should be assured by laptop manufacturers. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

The fight has only begun for AMD, they will need to be as good as Intel IN THE WORST CASE for the next few generations, and maybe they might change their public image in 4-5 years.

that is if intel doesn't bribe everyone like they did back in 2000's when they released the opteron and the first Fx,

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I hate to do AMD favors when it comes to GPU (but then again this is also a CPU and I like those) but AMD will probably get to 1030 levels with drivers after release (yes this is why I hate making the point: should be ready for launch but honestly, when it comes to GPUs they never are).

The main limit for integrated graphics, especially on AMD side, is memory speed. Low power DDR4 at 2400 MHz, even in dual channel, is still bit limiting; don't forget that sadly most OEMs cripple these parts' performance by putting single channel ddr4 2133 and bad cooling, thus I don't think there will be cheap, full powered, 25W versions on the market

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Just now, Agost said:

The main limit for integrated graphics, especially on AMD side, is memory speed. Low power DDR4 at 2400 MHz, even in dual channel, is still bit limiting; don't forget that sadly most OEMs cripple these parts' performance by putting single channel ddr4 2133 and bad cooling, thus I don't think there will be cheap full powered, 25W versions on the market

Well on a laptop it probably will be limited so I'd adjust my expectations to maybe under a 750 trailing it.

But once you can get these for AM4 you can pair with 3200 and the already beefy wraith spire cooler, should work out for small itx rigs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

aww fuck yes FUCK YES I've been long waiting for this. Ever since the announcement of 'zen' I cared a hell of a lot more about laptops, cause intel virtually owns the market aside from the extremely low end. It's great that ryzen is lower power and has competitive IPC not just for desktop gamers, but for laptops of all varieties. I have 2 sandy bridge dell precisions and I've been holding out on getting a new laptop because I want to see what happens with this. 

Between cpu competition, mxm gpus with desktop performance, and thunderbolt docks, high performance laptops are getting a hell of a lot more compelling recently. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, cj09beira said:

that is if intel doesn't bribe everyone like they did back in 2000's when they released the opteron and the first Fx,

People forget that AMD wasn't in the laptop space because of criminal activity by Intel. That Intel got away with it is, slightly, beside the point. Though the Dozer-era CPUs weren't ever going to work well for Laptops. (Lower clocks are always going to be better in that space.)

As for Raven Ridge:

Cinebench.png

Anyone else noticed that the 2700U is posting Cinebench R15 results (144 1T; 719 nT) right on par with the Ryzen 5 1400, which is a 4c/8t 65w CPU?  If there was any question that was a full Zen CCX, that's done. 

Now, we have an interesting question for what happens when Desktop arrives. 

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

People forget that AMD wasn't in the laptop space because of criminal activity by Intel. That Intel got away with it is, slightly, beside the point. Though the Dozer-era CPUs weren't ever going to work well for Laptops. (Lower clocks are always going to be better in that space.)

As for Raven Ridge:

Anyone else noticed that the 2700U is posting Cinebench R15 results (144 1T; 719 nT) right on par with the Ryzen 5 1400, which is a 4c/8t 65w CPU?  If there was any question that was a full Zen CCX, that's done. 

Now, we have an interesting question for what happens when Desktop arrives. 

They did show in a slide that if it was sustained R15 runs for 5 min it would get 550 ish, I bet it is a thermal/power issue. but still even at 550 it is a amazing 15W CPU beats a i5-7500

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Being able to play Overwatch at 60* FPS on 720p with onboard graphics would make for a pretty inexpensive travel laptop!

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Well on a laptop it probably will be limited so I'd adjust my expectations to maybe under a 750 trailing it.

But once you can get these for AM4 you can pair with 3200 and the already beefy wraith spire cooler, should work out for small itx rigs.

Even with 3200 MHz DDR4 you won't get any higher than 40 GB/S (the 1800X sits at about 39 with 3200 MHz CL14 ram)

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Wonder if we will see any laptops with an R5/7 mobile and FreeSync 2 together. That would make it more compelling for the iGPU but the question I have is would there be a power impact (Negative or positive)?

Just now, tjcater said:

Wonder if we will see any laptops with an R5/7 mobile and FreeSync 2 together. That would make it more compelling for the iGPU but the question I have is would there be a power impact (Negative or positive)?

freesync 2 probably not, but with freesync is probable