Ryzen mobile announced

porina

To start, AMD is launching a pair of low-power processors for the laptop market: the Ryzen 7 2700U and the Ryzen 5 2500U. Both of these processors combine four of AMD’s latest Zen cores, with some minor improvements, with AMD’s latest Vega graphics, into a single piece of silicon. These are both 15W processors, using the U-suffixed nomenclature that Intel has popularized for its 15W parts. By developing around a 15W TDP, AMD is aiming for the same range of thin and light notebooks that are currently almost entirely Intel-powered, while also using the Vega graphics architecture as a significant selling point in gaming and enthusiast workload acceleration. AMD has also gone into detail about a number of power-saving technologies that is has developed and implemented to provide better battery life.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11964/ryzen-mobile-is-launched-amd-apus-for-laptops-with-vega-and-updated-zen

We've had the desktop for a while, and now we see the mobile processors. These are 15W parts so they're not going to be for higher end gaming laptops, but it will be interesting to see what it does for gaming performance of such low power systems. Intel had already started looking at more cores as standard in the mobile space, and this is likely what they were looking to defend against.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Damn it. I am literally on amd's web page atm, thinking of posting this... 

Here's a link, they actually provide additional details regarding graphics frequency etc

http://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, porina said:

. Intel had already started looking at more cores as standard in the mobile space, and this is likely what they were looking to defend against.

Good job for Intel. I'm curious to see how performance changes between this and mobile Coffee Lake CPUs

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Damn it. I am literally on amd's web page atm, thinking of posting this... 

I only found it by chance as I was looking for more 1070Ti news :D

Still, I had noticed AMD's twitter had been hinting at launching something recently, and this is it. I was actually hoping for desktop APUs myself, as Ryzen+Vega cores could be an interesting value combo on there too.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Now this is coming a few years later than anticipated but I believe this are at around 1030 levels which is also around 750(nonti) levels of performance. For a thin and light notebook that isn't gonna cost you more than a cheap used car this is fairly decent news. I mean this probably won't be capable of playing BF1 or Ghost Recon: Wildlands at any kind of decent settings but it is capable of doing 30 FPS on some titles that could be reasonable like for single player AAA games and will do 60 just fine for the e-sports crowd (not a fan but I recognize those are quite popular with new users)

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Now this is coming a few years later than anticipated but I believe this are at around 1030 levels which is also around 750(nonti) levels of performance. For a thin and light notebook that isn't gonna cost you more than a cheap used car this is fairly decent news. I mean this probably won't be capable of playing BF1 or Ghost Recon: Wildlands at any kind of decent settings but it is capable of doing 30 FPS on some titles that could be reasonable like for single player AAA games and will do 60 just fine for the e-sports crowd (not a fan but I recognize those are quite popular with new users)

Not quite GT 1030, I believe the 2700u was around 900-1000 in time spy which is 30% or so behind a 1030

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Not quite GT 1030, I believe the 2700u was around 900-1000 in time spy which is 30% or so behind a 1030

I hate to do AMD favors when it comes to GPU (but then again this is also a CPU and I like those) but AMD will probably get to 1030 levels with drivers after release (yes this is why I hate making the point: should be ready for launch but honestly, when it comes to GPUs they never are).

But for now, point conceded.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Can't really use those synthetic benchmarks as an accurate representation on real world performance though. The Iris Pro 580 was worlds behind a GTX 750 in Firestrike, but performed relatively close in real-world gaming. Unless Timespy is far more accurate than Firestrike was.

Either way, with a 15w package limit, I am not expecting GTX 750 performance in that small of a package power limitation. Especially not if super thin heatsinks (XPS 13 style) are involved. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This is really cool from the workstation perspective.

A lot of companies (mine included) buy their staff laptops instead of desktops, so they can have portability with one machine, and then just have a docking station.

The problem is that sometimes, AMD's offerings might be better for multitasking, and/or might be more price competitive.  However, the intel domination of that class of machine means that's the only option, and for many workers, it may not be the best choice.

Finally an APU that's worth something (and well over twice as efficient as my A8 4555M).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, kingfurykiller said:

This is really cool from the workstation perspective.

I wouldnt put in the workstation category. I mean they are still quad cores but at 15w.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I wouldnt put in the workstation category. I mean they are still quad cores but at 15w.

That's true. Light workstation.

We will have to see how they benchmark, but I imagine they would perform better than my work machine's current processor, at the same or maybe even a lower price point

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Unless Timespy is far more accurate than Firestrike was.

I think I've heard claims that TimeSpy was more nvidia friendly due to the mix of workloads in it, but we can only wait and see as benchmarks come out.

Otherwise, I'm wondering if it might be possible to estimate performance based on the GPU cores/clocks? Can't do it this minute...

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

For sure, I'm betting on it being able to play World of Warcraft and TF2 way better than like my A10 9600P could.

But in newer, more demanding titles like recent Call of Duty's or your examples, or GTA V it might struggle a little more or those games might be nearly unplayable at most settings

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

29 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I hate to do AMD favors when it comes to GPU (but then again this is also a CPU and I like those) but AMD will probably get to 1030 levels with drivers after release (yes this is why I hate making the point: should be ready for launch but honestly, when it comes to GPUs they never are).

But for now, point conceded.

you also have to keep in mind the 1030 had vram the 2700u does not, it has to use much slower system ram. it also uses less power.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Looking at Precision Boost 2, the way Ryzen APU turbo should greatly lessen its negative impact in games (as it stands-I had to disable Turbo Core on my A8 4555M, which made it run worse than old Core Duo), because older games at least such as FO3/FONV and Oblivion are affected by changes in clock speed-I have to run my 4790K with the minimum speed set to 100% to prevent stuttering.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

45 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Good job for Intel. I'm curious to see how performance changes between this and mobile Coffee Lake CPUs

it will be as usual: AMD = superior iGPU performance but a little lacking in raw CPU performance

intel = superior CPU performance but the iGPU can't do shit

AMD is not mentioning Intel's Kaby Lake-R in their promo materials which gives me the impression that Intel is still better when it comes to power consumption.

3462FED4-9D41-4311-BE27-AF84C7ED2F32.thumb.png.4fd46abaa9bf667266d4a07237e59f2d.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Sources:

PCWorld Article: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3234649/laptop-computers/amd-mobile-ryzen-7-and-ryzen-5-with-vega.html

Official AMD Video:

AMD Website: http://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop?utm_source=silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=31233145&utm_term=btn_ LEARN MORE&utm_content=global-general-product-technology-announce-2017Oct-ryzenmobile (1):&spMailingID=31233145&spUserID=Mzg2Mjk4MjEzMDE1S0&spJobID=1143363142&spReportId=MTE0MzM2MzE0MgS2

Quotes:

PCWorld Article:

"

The two chips launched this morning are:

The Ryzen 7 2700U features four cores with symmetrical multi-threading and 10 compute units based on the Vega graphics architecture. The chip has a base clock speed of 2.2GHz and boost speed of 3.8GHz. The GPU will clock "up to" 1,300MHz.

The Ryzen 5 2500U also has four cores with SMT. The main difference between it ans the Ryzen 7 2700U is the graphics core and clock speed of the CPU and GPU. The Ryzen 5 has 8 compute units instead of 10, and its cores will clock up to 1,100MHz. The compute cores will hit 2GHz with a boost clock of 3.6GHz."

"Both chips are rated at 15-watt TDP"

ryzen_7_mobile_specs-100739846-large.jpg

ryzen_mobile_apu_vs_core_i7_coffee_lake_

ryzen_mobile_more_performance_claims-100

capture-100739783-large.jpg

My Opinions:

OMGOMGOMG YES!

So compared to my RX 460 that has 14 CUs the greater of these mobile ones has 10 and has a higher clock speed than my RX 460. I'm eager to see mainstream game benchmarks like Rocket League and World of Tanks.

I'm gonna start looking up some 950M Benchmarks and see what that's like.

Edit: Was a bit late on this I realized after posting. Here's the post before mine by @porina:

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

you also have to keep in mind the 1030 had vram the 2700u does not, it has to use much slower system ram. it also uses less power.

The power difference isn't as profound as with other GPUs: let's not forget the 1030 it's only 30 watts (I know it hasn't been talked about much but this is close to ideal for HTPCs since it can be half height, single slot and even passively cooled: a fully fanless HTPC it's finally kind of possible but I digress) so it's not too far away from the APU. Sure it shares tdp with the CPU but it's still comparing to one of the lowest tdp gpus ever (that's worth a damn that is)

Also the other thing is that these are 15 watt TDP chips for laptops but AMD will probably release AM4 socket APUs at the full 65 watts or even 95 watts soon after and those will probably be able to improve quite a bit. I look forward to those for something like a NUC type device.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

How much vram does the MX150 or Mobile 1030 have? 
Obviously GDDR5 (right?) is faster than DDR3 or DDR4 especially for graphics cards. Shame I don't think mobile DDR4 comes much faster than 2400MHz, most of it is DDR4 2133MHz.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization