FCC’s claim that one ISP counts as “competition” faces scrutiny in court

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, TheBeastPC said:

Thats one thing I can get across, with the older modems, wifi was available via phone cable, which, back in those days, using internet explorer with that type of wifi connection was very slow.

Umm... Wifi or Wi-Fi is "wireless" networking.... thus it would by nature never travel over the older modems/phone cable. When those devices existed.... Wifi did not.

=====================================================================

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

Bill no 1.  The CEO of any ISP who is caught shaping or limiting data on any connection where the plan is not specifically advertised as "restricted and limited", will pay the fee of $5000 for every single effected customer to an already established and audited homeless charity in that customers area. 

I'd put that 3rd or fourth.

1. Freedom of speech shall apply to any person on the internet. Businesses operating within the US do not have the right to ban someone for protected political speech, regardless of whether or not their membership is "private". This is because those businesses are actually not private, and are doing business OPENLY, AND PUBLICLY, WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC, thus, freedom of speech MUST AND SHALL APPLY. While this would be hard to enforce, I would hope the US would be able to get the UN to back at least this. Twitter is a perfect example of how corporations are abusing their power over their user base. Just because the SJW's in charge of a corporation don't like someone who makes good arguments that they disagree with, does not mean they should have the right to inaccurately call it "hate speech" and ban that person.

2. Any and all persons shall have the right to secure themselves. (I don't wont to go into detail here, but you have the right to close a backdoor into software you are using, and the creator of said software shall in no way have the right to prevent you from doing so).

3. The government shall in no way shape or form have the right to use hardware owned by private citizens or corporations (public or private) for their own ends. (i.e. the government cannot run a botnet on the hardware of private citizens or the hardware of private/public corporations, etc.)

4. All United States Citizens shall have the right to privacy, which cannot be violated without due process. In such cases where a violation is necessary, the authority to commit such a violation may only be enacted upon individuals or members of an organization, and cannot be enacted on the wider public (basically, fuck yourself NSA and CIA. No more mass data collections). This cannot be overruled in the name of national security. Warrants for spying or data gathering on specific individuals can be issued in the name of national security, by a court, but CANNOT, AND SHALL NOT, be issued against the wider public. (once again, NO MASS DATA COLLECTION)

5. No corporation shall violate the 2nd or 4th amendments of this document as a terms of doing business. In other words, you SHALL NOT include violations of privacy or security as apart of terms of service or end user license agreements, wherever physically possible (Obviously, GPS services would be a minor privacy violation that is unavoidable for those services to function. This is merely an example. However, in this example, said corporation providing said service would be legally responsible for guaranteeing the safety and security of said data). Nor shall any corporation operating in the US be allowed to sell the data of its users as the terms of an EULA, or other contract. Corporations MAY request that a user allow them to collect data, but this shall be done as OPT-IN, not OPT-OUT.

6. No fast lanes, no slow lanes, all data is equal.

7. Artwork or media content released for free to the public, is public domain and thus fair use. This includes content that is accompanied with advertisements because the user/viewer did not pay for said content. This applies only to reviews, criticisms, parodies, or memes. If you upload something that is freely viewable without a paywall, someone can make a meme out of it. (also FUCK NINTENDO)

8. TL;DR: fuck the way youtube handles copyright, fix it so that when a company submits a claim, that claim must be addressed in court. During this process any money gained via advertising shall be held in an account, and awarded to whomever the court decides is in the right. If the issuer of a complaint does not show, the defendant gets the money, if the defendant does not show, the issuer of the claim gets the money. If the defendant wins the case, the issuer of said complaint shall be legally responsible for damages (legal fees, loss of income equal to the amount held in limbo from advertising, etc.) to the defendant as the result of said complaint.

I can't think of much else. Feel free to add or change things. Or disagree with me entirely. I'm not a lawyer.

Also, again, FUCK NINTENDO.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 10/13/2017 at 4:08 AM, Trik'Stari said:

And if we're going to have government take control over the infrastructure, then there is going to have to be an internet bill of rights.

Or better yet, we don't have goobermint take control.  That's a major part of what's lead to the current issues we have right now.  City/state govs allowing monopolistic practices by ISPs.  What we need is for citizens to get proactive and complain to their city council.  If that doesn't work, go to state representatives and complain.  That was how the founders intended for situations to be handled, not for a massive federal gov to keep sticking their fingers into every aspect of our daily lives.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, Dylanc1500 said:

Are you referring to DSL? As DSL is still extremely common in a lot of places and you can have speeds of roughly 45mbps. Your modem (dial-up or DSL) conversts the connection and sends it to your router which can be all in one (modem/router/WLAN). Wifi doesn't have anything to do with the connection to the Internet unless it is the bottleneck itself.

I can get 60mbit ADSL to my house, but judging by the fact that I am on 30mbit now and barely ever getting 15mbit down and one up, I don't think I'd get those 60mbit... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Or better yet, we don't have goobermint take control.  That's a major part of what's lead to the current issues we have right now.  City/state govs allowing monopolistic practices by ISPs.  What we need is for citizens to get proactive and complain to their city council.  If that doesn't work, go to state representatives and complain.  That was how the founders intended for situations to be handled, not for a massive federal gov to keep sticking their fingers into every aspect of our daily lives.

How people intended the system to work hundreds of years ago and the state it's in now are so different I don't think you can use the original reasoning.

Our network infrastructure (all consumer internet) here in Australia is effectively totally owned by the government now*. They have the NBN who wholesale bandwidth to the ISP's who then retail it to us.  We do have some kinks to iron out, but it is a very good system because there is no way an ISP can stake a monopoly, they can't leverage sales to get better prices, they can't outsource network hardware or make it hard for new startups.  About the only thing they can do at the moment is run at a loss to try and get more customers, but that inevitably results in shit internet (because they haven't bought enough bandwidth). 

*some services are still private, but the NBN owns all the copper and private services will all transition to the NBN within the next few years.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, Dylanc1500 said:

No you need the latest and greatest.

image.jpeg.f80f34db1f17af7d99a70e37e006c987.jpeg

Im slightly curious as to how many on here actually even know what this is.

Here is a more updated version

3-5mm-Audio-Jack-Volume-Control-font-b-R

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 12/10/2017 at 8:50 AM, mr moose said:

Say what you want about the NBN,  it is the perfect model in this regard as retailers rarely touch infrastructure nor have dedicated areas of control.  You choose whichever one you want.  My ISP (now called RSP's) is a distant rural business not a some large company in the City.

Actually New Zealand's UFB should be the poster child for that. 

Australia still fucked up the execution hard 

48 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Actually New Zealand's UFB should be the poster child for that. 

Australia still fucked up the execution hard 

I don't think anyone would argue about the execution, it's inception was a vote grab..  But what makes the NZ system better?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

How people intended the system to work hundreds of years ago and the state it's in now are so different I don't think you can use the original reasoning.

On the contrary, the original vision for this country (meaning the US, not Aus) is needed now more than ever.  D.C. is basically England in this scenario, and given how little our so-called representatives actually represent our interests, we're virtually to the point of needing a new 'Boston tea party' event.  The reason for the founders vision of sovereign states, was because a far off government tends to become detached from the people they're meant to represent.  That's much less likely to happen with city and state governments, due to their physical proximity to their constituents.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent that's only slightly related to the topic at hand, so I'll leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

On the contrary, the original vision for this country (meaning the US, not Aus) is needed now more than ever.  D.C. is basically England in this scenario, and given how little our so-called representatives actually represent our interests, we're virtually to the point of needing a new 'Boston tea party' event.  The reason for the founders vision of sovereign states, was because a far off government tends to become detached from the people they're meant to represent.  That's much less likely to happen with city and state governments, due to their physical proximity to their constituents.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent that's only slightly related to the topic at hand, so I'll leave it at that.

I think I understand what you mean, my insinuation was more that the current system is so kaput that you need to start again. going back to the original vision is like relying on the constitution to save you from goivernment.  Which won't happen because the current system won't allow it.

One provider is sure not competition.  Anyway, I given up on ISPs doing anything useful.  Hell, AT&T's so call Rural Network Plan is pure hogwash.

Pretty much, I said crap it.  I am going to get a high end SIM router that can take any SIM (so crap any one provider to try to lock me in) and smack two high gain Yagi Antennas to it.  I seen other individuals in the country side going this route and having some nice results.

Seriously, it is bad when I just watched videos of other Americans doing some crazy hacks to things like AT&T's Mobiley (you can hack it to work outside a vehicle), using microwave shots, antennas, and other setups just to get unlimited Internet at good speeds and not be raped by prices that local ISPs try to lock them into.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

21 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Here is a more updated version

3-5mm-Audio-Jack-Volume-Control-font-b-R

It's like we've done a 180,  The updated version does exactly the opposite job these days.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's like we've done a 180,  The updated version does exactly the opposite job these days.

Here is an interesting idea. Could you use that handset as a way to dial in through your cellphone to another network or maybe even a BBS that still operates.

13 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Here is an interesting idea. Could you use that handset as a way to dial in through your cellphone to another network or maybe even a BBS that still operates.

That's like a whole other layer of whoah.   Maybe, if the audio stream wasn't compressed beyond the bandwidth required to get a reliable connection.