Apple has opened every version of macOS and iOS to the public

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Apple doesn't own Foxconn?

Foxconn—one of the world’s largest contract electronics manufacturers—were investigated by several of its customers, including Apple and Hewlett-Packard (HP).[5]

I guess own is a bad word, but they are a large customer of them. At least partially responsible. Apple has blood on their hands from the Foxconn suicides as well.

50 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Foxconn—one of the world’s largest contract electronics manufacturers—were investigated by several of its customers, including Apple and Hewlett-Packard (HP).[5]

I guess own is a bad word, but they are a large customer of them. At least partially responsible. Apple has blood on their hands from the Foxconn suicides as well.

Oh yes, Microsoft, Dell, Lenovo, Huawei, HTC, Samsung, Nikon, Sony, Asus, MSI, et al. are completely innocent and don't use any Foxconn (or other shitty manufacturer's) components. Apple is no different than any of the other hundreds/thousands of companies in existence. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Oh yes, Microsoft, Dell, Lenovo, Huawei, HTC, Samsung, Nikon, Sony, Asus, MSI, et al. are completely innocent and don't use any Foxconn (or other shitty manufacturer's) components. Apple is no different than any of the other hundreds/thousands of companies in existence. 

And what is your point? You just posted a red herring... (irrelevant point) -- so just because other companies that use Foxconn mean it's ok?

5 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

And what is your point? You just posted a red herring... (irrelevant point) -- so just because other companies that use Foxconn mean it's ok?

No more irrelevant than your asinine comment. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

enjoy a huge inrush in low level malware and cryptolockers. Only thing that has saved apple so far has been the fact that their systems are more difficult (not very hard, just PITA) to target due to being so tight ass.

So now all the script kiddies will spam down IOS with low skill high impact viruses.

Enjoy apple. You're now no longer any better then android or windows.

On 10/1/2017 at 3:21 PM, Drak3 said:

Apple designs their own:

Audio chipset

SSD controller

Thunderbolt controller

USB Controller

And many of the other miscellaneous microcontrollers that are on their logic board. There are alternatives, but they're not off the shelf hardware.

I don't get it, is this troll or sarcasm?

Since when Apple can design or ever design any hardware by themself?

I mean how did they able to design it if the technology is already exist, they will be getting lawsuit like mad.

it's like saying Sony design x86 processor, when they actually use AMD products.

All proprietary is standard, and most MAC use Intel proprietary,

Audio chipset? Realtek

SSD Controller? Samsung, and ofcourse on macbookpro you'll see it as "Apple SSD Controller"

Samsung_MZ-JPU256T-0A6_256Gb_PCI-Express

Thunderbolt controller? Intel.

USB Controller? since LGA 775, most USB Controller are already build-in inside the CPU.

If you like apple or their products that's fine, but I don't understand how or why people like you think they invent/design every hardware they use, they are not, the saddest part about this is there are other people who's agreeing with this statement, it's ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

I mean how did they able to design it if the technology is already exist, they will be getting lawsuit like mad.

it's like saying Sony design x86 processor, when they actually use AMD products.

All proprietary is standard, and most MAC use Intel proprietary,

Audio chipset? Realtek

SSD Controller? Samsung, and ofcourse on macbookpro you'll see it as "Apple SSD Controller"

USB Controller? since LGA 775, most USB Controller are already build-in inside the CPU.

If you like apple or their products that's fine, but I don't understand how or why people like you think they invent/design every hardware they use, they are not, the saddest part about this is there are other people who's agreeing with this statement, it's ridiculous.

Don't you know? Apple also invented the CPU, the story about intel being the one doing it first with the 4004 are lies spread by the obvious Apple haters of this forum.

Apple also invented the magnet, the alluminium ore, the glass, the PVC, the PCB, the black PCB, the lithium ion battery, the laser optic, and even the first quartz watch was made by Apple as proven in this picture

apple_watch_1995.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 10/1/2017 at 1:20 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I've only heard about Skype on windows... the devs themselves said something like this: 

What a piece of shit.... so many bugs and nobody cares..... it is bad, believe me. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

Samsung_MZ-JPU256T-0A6_256Gb_PCI-Express

The SSD controller does appear to be a custom designed controller. Although everyone seems to have lost interest shortly after the release of the 2015 macbook and stopped looking into it. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9173/more-pictures-of-2015-macbooks-applebuilt-ssd-controller

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

Audio chipset? Realtek

Realtek makes the codec, not the entire chipset.

Apple's controller was developed to be close to Intel's, but they're not identical. Apple's controller has one advantage, in that it supports 5K60.

Technically false. Intel platforms have USB controllers build into the chipset.

Here's the thing though, Intel's current mobile chipsets only supports 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 speeds. Apple's current MacBook Pros support 10Gbps, USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds.

That requires an additional controller. Digging through System report gives an OEM for it, Apple Inc.

For quite some time, actually. They designed the past few ARM SoCs on their iPhones, so I can't fathom how they'd be incapable of designing a few controllers.

I don't understand how or why people like you think they invent/design every hardware they use, they are not

Apple hasn't invented anything. But they do design their own versions of existing hardware components when they see need to do so. They've got more than enough inflow to conduct R&D and commission fabs for these, while still pulling incredible profit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Realtek makes the codec, not the entire chipset.

Apple's controller was developed to be close to Intel's, but they're not identical. Apple's controller has one advantage, in that it supports 5K60.

Technically false. Intel platforms have USB controllers build into the chipset.

Here's the thing though, Intel's current mobile chipsets only supports 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 speeds. Apple's current MacBook Pros support 10Gbps, USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds.

That requires an additional controller. Digging through System report gives an OEM for it, Apple Inc.

For quite some time, actually. They designed the past few ARM SoCs on their iPhones, so I can't fathom how they'd be incapable of designing a few controllers.

Apple hasn't invented anything. But they do design their own versions of existing hardware components when they see need to do so. They've got more than enough inflow to conduct R&D and commission fabs for these, while still pulling incredible profit.

You are confused between designing and licensing.

Apple do the latter.

It's like Sony ask AMD to make them machine and put the brand on any of AMD products that they've licensed.

I make stuff, you pay me for license my stuff and put your brand on my stuff, that's licensing.

The Intel deal with Thunderbolt is atm exclusive for apple only , and soon will be open for public to use.http://www.gsmarena.com/intel_will_open_the_thunderbolt_3_standard_to_the_public_royaltyfree-news-25233.php

Realtek make both their own chipset and codec.

Again USB has been moved to CPU otherwise we will still be using Northbridge today.

The last platform that still use both Northbridge and southbridge is AM3/+.

The only thing I know that APPLE design and can be use for PC platform is FIREWIRE.

I don't care about ARM or Mobile department, that's irrelevant to your claim.

10 hours ago, JohnMiller92 said:

It's more that you were parroting the classic Only Apple Does Bad Things view: omg, Apple's evil because their products are made in Chinese factories with mediocre working conditions!  Now pardon me while I use a Dell laptop made in similar conditions, an Xbox made in similar conditions, a Samsung phone made in similar conditions...

As it stands, Apple has also been taking steps to improve conditions, and has been posting regular reports on both that progress and problems it sees.  It's ironic that people act as if Apple is horribly irresponsible when many of its peers don't even discuss their suppliers.

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

You are confused between designing and licensing.

Apple do the latter.

It's like Sony ask AMD to make them machine and put the brand on any of AMD products that they've licensed.

I make stuff, you pay me for license my stuff and put your brand on my stuff, that's licensing.

Apple licenses Broadcom's Bluetooth radio, Toshiba NAND, SK Hynix RAM.

Apple designs a good number of controllers where they consider third party unacceptable, for whatever reason. Things like USB controllers, SSD controllers, etc.

Much like Microsoft and Sony, Apple acknowledges when they brand the licensed hardware in some way. With Apple, they list the actual manufacturer, or manufacturer code, in System Report, when the OS accesses the hardware itself (which means instead of listing Toshiba as the manufacturer of NAND, they list the name of the controller again. The OS cannot interface directly with NAND.) 

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

The Intel deal with Thunderbolt is atm exclusive for apple only , and soon will be open for public to use.

Thunderbolt is a protocol and overall design for a chipset that encompasses a PCIe 3.0 uplink, DisplayPort signalling, and now, USB. There are multiple chipset variations.

Apple can easily license what they need to create their own controller that is compatible with their 5K monitors and 5K monitors made as part of a partnership with Apple.

6 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Realtek make both their own chipset and codec.

Realtek just makes the codec. The actual chipsets are OEM implementations involving the codec.

7 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Again USB has been moved to CPU otherwise we will still be using Northbridge today.

The last platform that still use both Northbridge and southbridge is AM3/+.

Again, you're technically wrong. USB functionality on Intel's mobile platform is found on the southbridge, aka the chipset. And of all of Intel's current offerings, none of them offer the speeds that Apple delivers on their MacBooks.

9 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

I don't care about ARM or Mobile department, that's irrelevant to your claim.

But it's not irrelevant to your claim that Apple cannot or does not design their own hardware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:19 AM, DrMacintosh said:

its just the Kernel. 

Isn't that the most important bit?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is kind of interesting. I wish there were more open source OS that have user friendly experience like Windows.

5 hours ago, Okjoek said:

.....user friendly experience like Windows.

tumblr_o0h6mp3XhO1tkb2p0o1_500.gif

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 9/30/2017 at 9:24 PM, Drak3 said:

Congratulations to Apple, for republishing the source code of an already largely open source Kernal that they adopted and adapted, and already made open a long time ago.

The only thing Apple really did was publish them in places that are more likely to get it noticed.

If you're familiar with Apple's development of OS X's kernal, it really isn't. As a matter of fact, Darwin is OS X stripped of all closed source softwares.

That's what I was thinking. I was pretty certain a good chunk of the OS's kernel was already either BSD or APL licensed... So what else would they have released that doesn't go on top of that?

And I recall reading the APL license years ago and didn't really like it. I probably didn't interpret it correctly, but it basically felt like "any changes you do belongs to Apple"

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

tumblr_o0h6mp3XhO1tkb2p0o1_500.gif

What operating system would you recommend then? Only other one I've tried for desktop is Ubuntu and that sure as hell isn't user friendly, for Linux maybe I guess, but you still really gotta know what you're doing.

40 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What operating system would you recommend then? Only other one I've tried for desktop is Ubuntu and that sure as hell isn't user friendly, for Linux maybe I guess, but you still really gotta know what you're doing.

MacOS. It's still the only OS that hasn't made me want to through my computer across the room on a near daily basis.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

MacOS. It's still the only OS that hasn't made me want to through my computer across the room on a near daily basis.

How does one install MacOS onto a PC?

And I wouldn't be able to play several of my games such as Planetside 2.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

How does one install MacOS onto a PC?

No one is helping you with that here in the forum 

On 1/20/2016 at 8:52 AM, Windspeed36 said:
  • Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

20 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

No one is helping you with that here in the forum 

but there shouldn't be any problem in posting Linus's own video on the matter, is there?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but there shouldn't be any problem in posting Linus's own video on the matter, is there?

I don't know. That video was made before Linus and his team are aware that it is a form of piracy and it's against Apple's terms of services. I wonder why they haven't taken down that video.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

21 hours ago, Okjoek said:

This is kind of interesting. I wish there were more open source OS that have user friendly experience like Windows.

Without going to a Chinese distro, the closest you'll get is probably Linux Mint.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.