Apple has opened every version of macOS and iOS to the public

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, for one thing, as with Windows, you can (and should) just reinstall your own fresh copy when you get it so doesn't really matter at all, and second, I doubt it would be used like that, it would probably be more like Linux is now - an enthusiast thing not really available from stores.  Also, apparently I over reacted and this isn't going to be what I thought :P 

With Apple's Mac computers, I don't have to do all that. And if something is corrupted, I can easily download a fresh copy of mac OS from the internet, something Windows 10 still doesn't have.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

With Apple's Mac computers, I don't have to do all that. And if something is corrupted, I can easily download a fresh copy of mac OS from the internet, something Windows 10 still doesn't have.

what?  It's had this since day 1 of Windows 10...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Ummmm https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

so they added compatibility or something? 

Nope. Uploaded the source code for the kernal to a place other than just their open source repository. They also made all old versions available again.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what?  It's had this since day 1 of Windows 10...

While in Recovery mode? I can't find any option. With macOS, I can hit command + R while booting and it will have the option to download a fresh copy of the OS.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

While in Recovery mode? I can't any option. With macOS, I can hit command + R while booting and it will have the option to download a fresh copy of the OS.

I've never tried it myself but it does have a "reset" feature that is supposed to rebuild everything back to stock

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Nope. Uploaded the source code for the kernal to a place other than just their open source repository. They also made all old versions available again.

Aww man. I am currently downloading Linux to dual boot, and I was thinking that I could probably give mac os a try

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Everyone would just point and laugh at Microsoft if they made their code public. I've heard quite a few things about the state of the Windows' code:

It's a typical notion among PCMR people that Apple doesn't follow open standards. Notwithstanding a few facts like it was Apple to first implement USB in mainstream products even if they are using Power PC processors back then and it was Intel who invented it.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

It's a typical notion among PCMR people that Apple doesn't follow open standards. Notwithstanding a few facts like it was Apple to first implement USB in mainstream products even if they are using Power PC processors back then and it was Intel who invented it.

PCMR is filled with people who like to pretend Apple is Satin himself. PCMR has some very unrealistic and inaccurate views of Apple.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I've never tried it myself but it does have a "reset" feature that is supposed to rebuild everything back to stock

That requires a bootable DVD or USB if any part of the original image is damaged.

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

Aww man. I am currently downloading Linux to dual boot, and I was thinking that I could probably give mac os a try

You can install PureDarwin, it's the closest you can get without hackintoshing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't understand how these two statements relate to each other or the thing you quoted

Just now, Drak3 said:

That requires a bootable DVD or USB if any part of the original image is damaged.

You can install PureDarwin, it's the closest you can get without hackintoshing.

is triple booting a thing?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

is triple booting a thing?

Yes. I ran a quad boot system awhile back.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That uses the partition just before the main volume of your C: Drive. 

In my experience that never works the way it is supposed to. 

macOS doesn’t rely on anything to resinstall itself to a machine in recovery mode. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Drak3 said:

Which, honestly, you should always have on hand, along with a Linux USB.  These are some of the things you never know when you might need and do not want to be caught without, especially if you only have 1 computer.

That said, that "download and install from recovery" does sound cool and should definitely be added to Windows.

13 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Not while in recovery. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Assuming that the recovery partition is not corrupted but in the very unfortunate event that it got corrupted, they should have to restore from a system image or recovery flash drive but a lot of people don't do that.

win10_safemode_24.png

No option to download a fresh copy of Windows 10

macos-high-sierra-recovery-mode-reinstall.jpg

Macs have an easy recovery option  https://support.apple.com/en-ph/HT201314

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which, honestly, you should always have on hand, along with a Linux USB.  These are some of the things you never know when you might need and do not want to be caught without, especially if you only have 1 computer.

Every consumer just laughed at you in unison. 

And so did I. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Every consumer just laughed at you in unison. 

and I laughed at them being fucked because the one computer they have just got corrupted and they have no way to fix it without taking it to a shop

and I laughed at them being fucked because the one computer they have just got corrupted and they have no way to fix it without taking it to a shop

Nobody wants to use a computer that it bricking on you is a real possibility. Every time I turn on my PC there is a small chance it will bluescreen based on my poor experiences with Windows 10. 

Both of the Macs I have owned haven’t even kernel panicked once in about 6 years of use. 

Nobody wants to use a computer that it bricking on you is a real possibility. [..]

Of course, but the fact is if you use a computer at all, you do.  Having a shovel to dig yourself out is just common sense and good planning, and anyone who laughs at being prepared is just stupid.  I don't most consumers would laugh at my suggestion actually, I think they would just be unaware of why it's a good idea, unaware of the option, and unaware of how to take advantage of it.  That's a very different thing. 

Having a shovel to dig yourself out is just common sense and good planning

Building an OS that isn’t crap and doesn’t need the consumer to be prepared is even better planning for a multi million dollar company. 

Building an OS that isn’t crap is even better planning for a multi million dollar company. 

Yes, hence why I said

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

[...]

That said, that "download and install from recovery" does sound cool and should definitely be added to Windows.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Nobody wants to use a computer that it bricking on you is a real possibility. Every time I turn on my PC there is a small chance it will bluescreen based on my poor experiences with Windows 10. 

Then nobody wants computers at all then.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Both of the Macs I have owned haven’t even kernel panicked once in about 6 years of use. 

I haven't had a bluescreen on 8 machines that I've ran over the past 10 years, except for overclocking my 5930K.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

if you only have 1 computer.

I have 6 fully function systems, each ready to create a bootable at any moment.

Building an OS that isn’t crap is even better planning for a multi million dollar company. 

Good to see that you're still living in 2002.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Yes, hence why I said

Yeah but activation is probably the reason why Microsoft hasn't added it yet

hqdefault.jpg

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Good to see that you're still living in 2002.

Didn’t know quality could only be achieved in basic software. I guess paying your staff to test your OS was too much to ask for from Microsoft.

?