Recently in LTT tech news and reviews. (shitpost)

mrchow19910319

Tmw you want to post an edgy meme, but are afraid the mods will flame you apart..

But just imagine people getting extremely mad when someone says

"I actually like the way Intel is handling the X299 platform"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

Tmw you want to post an edgy meme, but are afraid the mods will flame you apart..

But just imagine people getting extremely mad when someone says

"I actually like the way Intel is handling the X299 platform"

People's opinions (and even objective facts) are considered offensive now. Fucking forums mirror real life scarily.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

People's opinions (and even objective facts) are considered offensive now. Fucking forums mirror real life scarily.

>when your country's flag or anthem is a neo-confederate symbol because some pro-jim crow idiots supported it or some shit

by that logic because Hitler and Stalin breathed air, ate food, and did every bodily function a human does means that those actions are anti-Semitic, racist or being a literal nazi or wanting to kill political dissidents/citizens of your own country

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Recently? You mean recently as in, since the forum was started?

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Fucking forums mirror real life scarily.

It's almost as if the forum is made up of real people!

...and time to abandon the thread since it has already derail to be about nazis and stuff.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's almost as if the forum is made up of real people!

...and time to abandon the thread since it has already derail to be about nazis and stuff.

Godwin's law

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

What i dislike about Apple is that they created a "fanbase" that does not even know why they buy apple, they just do it.

Every hollywood movie has apple products, and apple just loves their marketing, to the point the ignorant people just buy apple because they assume its good, or like there is no other real option.

My point is: if people on THIS FORUM like apple, I will hear and respect them, because they know whay they are doing (at least to a certain point). I know apple products have some usecases, I just dont know what they are because most people pay a premium for a facebook/email machine. I would like to hear from people here what they like about a MacBook and why its the best choice in X or Y usecase.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I still think that people just do this to get view points.... put APPLE and SOMETHING BAD in the same title, people will click in and make fun of it... that's it.. useless rant... I think if we try really hard to poke at any large company, you will find things that is really messed up. Right now we are just beating the dead horse.. and doing nothing productive. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

15 minutes ago, Taja said:

My point is: if people on THIS FORUM like apple, I will hear and respect them, because they know whay they are doing (at least to a certain point). I know apple products have some usecases, I just dont know what they are because most people pay a premium for a facebook/email machine. I would like to hear from people here what they like about a MacBook and why its the best choice in X or Y usecase.

Windows machines are getting better and better, I've seen more people to get a windows laptop to do development work. So as linux machines. But macbook pro is still dominant when it comes to that specific use case. Sure when you start learning you can do it on whatever machine. But as you go deeper you will see that macOS is the platform that required minimum setup to do things. And most of the resources you can get online, are based on macOS/OS X. If it takes you lesser time to setup and you can straight go into work, why the hell not. 

Also when it comes to pricing, well, let's just say that "overpriced" is a busted word. Your consume power will go higher when you start to earn more money. For you and me is overpriced, for somebody else, it is the "normal price". 

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Windows machines are getting better and better, I've seen more people to get a windows laptop to do development work. So as linux machines. But macbook pro is still dominant when it comes to that specific use case. Sure when you start learning you can do it on whatever machine. But as you go deeper you will see that macOS is the platform that required minimum setup to do things. And most of the resources you can get online, are based on macOS/OS X. If it takes you lesser time to setup and you can straight go into work, why the hell not. 

Also when it comes to pricing, well, let's just say that "overpriced" is a busted word. Your consume power will go higher when you start to earn more money. For you and me is overpriced, for somebody else, it is the "normal price". 

Yeah, I want to know WHAT are this specific uses. Because for programmers for example, Linux is the way. For gamers, Windows is the way. And for what is Apple the best choice, and WHY is it the best choice? thats what I want to know.

And overpriced is objective: A bubblegum for ten dollars is overpriced, no matter your salary, because every bubblegum cost 50 cents, so it is 20x the regular price. You can say it is normal for a person to buy a mercedes, and thats fine. But when talking about directly comparable products, overprice can be used quite correctly. My best example is clothing: A manufacturer sells a white shirt for $10 both to brand A and brand B. Brand A puts a nice logo on it and sells it to the costumer for $200, and the brand B sells it for $20. OFC Brand A is overpriced, it is not related to your own wealth.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

10 minutes ago, Taja said:

And overpriced is objective: A bubblegum for ten dollars is overpriced, no matter your salary, because every bubblegum cost 50 cents, so it is 20x the regular price. You can say it is normal for a person to buy a mercedes, and thats fine. But when talking about directly comparable products, overprice can be used quite correctly. My best example is clothing: A manufacturer sells a white shirt for $10 both to brand A and brand B. Brand A puts a nice logo on it and sells it to the costumer for $200, and the brand B sells it for $20. OFC Brand A is overpriced, it is not related to your own wealth.

True. 

14 minutes ago, Taja said:

Yeah, I want to know WHAT are this specific uses. Because for programmers for example, Linux is the way. For gamers, Windows is the way. And for what is Apple the best choice, and WHY is it the best choice? thats what I want to know.

I just told you why macOS is better than linux when it comes to coding... it just went over your head... 

2 hours ago, Taja said:

What i dislike about Apple is that they created a "fanbase" that does not even know why they buy apple, they just do it.

And what I hate about anti-apple people is how they area always like "apple is overpriced" which is true for some products but for some products (such as the Macbook pro 13), they aren't actually overpriced (compared to the competition at least) :P

2 hours ago, Taja said:

I would like to hear from people here what they like about a MacBook

- Real TB3 (majority of Windows-based laptops only have 2 PCIe lane TB3, such as the beloved XPS series)

- The display, yes it doesn't have touch but when the panel ticks all the boxes in colour accuracy, brightness and resolution, does it really matter? 

- Things like the speakers or the trackpad (if the majority reviews agree on something, surely its true...and yes, I have had first hand experience of em).

- Price of the Macbook Pro 13 (non-touch bar), a MBP13 will only cost you about £50-100 than a similarly specced XPS13 although you'd get a better iGPU, faster SSD and a much better display. And this isn't even touching on how the XPS13 doesn't really have TB3. 

All I'm trying to say is you need to consider the 'whole package' and not just specifics like "how much storage and RAM does it have?" or "what type of CPU does it have?" while completely disregarding what iGPU it has (and yes, the HD 640 can indeed be used to play a majority of current gen Triple As whereas the 620 can't so it is noteworthy) or things like speaker or screen quality. 

TL;DR: Apple is overpriced for some products (its not as bad as people claim) and is actually very competitive for other products. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

YOu know that sometimes people are have the mentality that as long as I dont like onion, anyone who likes them is just a dumb ass. It is called confirmation bias. We all have it. That's okay... what's not is keep repeating those beliefs over and over and over again. You get nothing out of it. 

Why not channel that energy and do something else? Learn a new skill for example. 

But hell no, all we need to do is complain. 

27 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Anti apple fanboy logic: 

"Apple is overpriced." You tell them it is relative. They tell you apple device is overpriced.

You tell them the build quality is good, they tell you it is trash.

You tell them not everyone buy it just to show off, they tell you everyone who bought it is just to show off. 

You tell them apple's hardware has it usage, they tell you apple's device does not have any real usefulness. 

You see the fucking pattern here? 

Also the infamous gamer's logic: 

Can it game?

no.

trash, unusable, hell, satan.

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Why not channel that energy and do something else? Learn a new skill for example.

Not sure if you're pointing that directly at me or what but all I know is as I was multitasking at the time (working on my project as well), I was technically only channeling 25% of my energy to write that-which is probably why it took me something like 45 mins to type that up xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I just told you why macOS is better than linux when it comes to coding... it just went over your head... 

Wait, where did you do that?

You mean this post?

5 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Is your argument that MacOS is better than GNU/Linux when it comes to coding because it has more online resources and it won't take as much time to set up for coding?

I don't think you're a programmer if you believe those things are true.

3 hours ago, Taja said:

Yeah, I want to know WHAT are this specific uses. Because for programmers for example, Linux is the way. For gamers, Windows is the way. And for what is Apple the best choice, and WHY is it the best choice? thats what I want to know

Video editting. Final Cut Pro X is one of the most efficient and fastest out there.

Music creation. Outside of the Vocaloid Editor, most music creation programs work extremely well on OS X.

Development. Xcode only runs on OS X, but it's the only good tool for iOS. OS X also is favored for stability on Apple hardware.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Not sure if you're pointing that directly at me or what but all I know is as I was multitasking at the time (working on my project as well), I was technically only channeling 25% of my energy to write that-which is probably why it took me something like 45 mins to type that up xD 

Nah... i think I need to take a chill pill... 

7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Well, literally EVERYBODY I know disagrees, and they are computer science/ computer engineering students, so... I did some research and actually lots of programmers like it, but I guess it is not that simple. There are lots of different realities and preferences. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And what I hate about anti-apple people is how they area always like "apple is overpriced" which is true for some products but for some products (such as the Macbook pro 13), they aren't actually overpriced (compared to the competition at least) :P

- Real TB3 (majority of Windows-based laptops only have 2 PCIe lane TB3, such as the beloved XPS series)

- The display, yes it doesn't have touch but when the panel ticks all the boxes in colour accuracy, brightness and resolution, does it really matter? 

- Things like the speakers or the trackpad (if the majority reviews agree on something, surely its true...and yes, I have had first hand experience of em).

- Price of the Macbook Pro 13 (non-touch bar), a MBP13 will only cost you about £50-100 than a similarly specced XPS13 although you'd get a better iGPU, faster SSD and a much better display. And this isn't even touching on how the XPS13 doesn't really have TB3. 

All I'm trying to say is you need to consider the 'whole package' and not just specifics like "how much storage and RAM does it have?" or "what type of CPU does it have?" while completely disregarding what iGPU it has (and yes, the HD 640 can indeed be used to play a majority of current gen Triple As whereas the 620 can't so it is noteworthy) or things like speaker or screen quality. 

TL;DR: Apple is overpriced for some products (its not as bad as people claim) and is actually very competitive for other products. 

Thats nice, THAT is what I want to hear: Real and valid reasons. For me personally, it is not enough (as some stuff are not relevant to me), but I see how can it be for some people (the screen is really good, I agree with that). Also, I live in Brazil, and Apple products here are VERY overpriced (it is - or was- the most expensive place to buy Apple IN THE WORLD) These £50-100 are like 400-600R$ after taxes and shit (and minimum wage is ~1000R$)

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Video editting. Final Cut Pro X is one of the most efficient and fastest out there.

Music creation. Outside of the Vocaloid Editor, most music creation programs work extremely well on OS X.

Development. Xcode only runs on OS X, but it's the only good tool for iOS. OS X also is favored for stability on Apple hardware.

I heard that a lot, but never from a person who actually worked with this kind of projects both on windows and on mac, to compare objectively. I dont know anything about that however, no matter the OS.

And speaking for me, I dont like the OS (MAYBE it is beause im not used to it), I dont like Apple business strategy, I dont like Apple "cult-like" style (being honest, most people that buy Apple dont need - or event SHOULD NOT buy Apple for their usecases).

However, I am not a "hater" anymore, as I once was. Still think its kinda shitty and will never use it for sure, but I dont go and criticize everything all the time just because.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 minute ago, Taja said:

I heard that a lot, but never from a person who actually worked with this kind of projects both on windows and on mac, to compare objectively. I dont know anything about that however, no matter the OS.

I've gotten to do remodels for a few local companies that deal with development, Pingman Tools and T-Sheets being the being the only two I know the names of. There is always a good few MacBook Pros used for development. One company used them exclusively, for the reason I specified.

As for video editing, I've been looking at benchmarks of FCP vs other suites like Vegas Pro and Premiere, and FCP is, at worse, neck and neck with them at as close one can get to identical spec. Usually, the Apple machine has a slower processor and lower end GPU.

As for music creation, I've been thinking about dabbling in it for a few years. Vocaloid is the only software where there was no good OS X alternative, other than Vocaloid on Cubase. On the flip side, most good softwares either played nicely with OS X on lower spec machines than it would with Windows.

7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

You tell them it is relative.

It's only relative to an extent.

10 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

But macbook pro is still dominant when it comes to that specific use case.

OS X's dominance is recent. For quite a long time, Linux was simply a superior choice for development because it took less work to enable proper development for alternative platforms and because there was a plethora of matured tools not available to OS X.

10 hours ago, Taja said:

I would like to hear from people here what they like about a MacBook and why its the best choice in X or Y usecase.

Fairly soon, I'll be pitting my MacBook Pro and FCPX against my 5930K/GTX1080 with Premiere (and Vegas if it has a trial), to see which would be better for what I want to do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.