4K GAMING AT 120Hz - ON DIY MONITOR!?

You can do anything you put your mind to!

Unless Linus is involved, then it's gonna explode :P 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The pronunciation of Aziz kills me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

There will surely be a lot of questions about this.

I'd be happy to answer any questions in this thread, but many will have been answered before, check these first: 

Support forum here : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/zisworks-x28x39-user-group

I did an AMA on reddit here :

15 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I think it's actually Zis, not Aziz :) 

Ohhh.. I thought I saw an A. My bad my bad.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I would be very interested if it would work with my Philips BDM4065UC monitor =)

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

12 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I think it's actually Zis, not Aziz :) 

It is pronounced more like zees with the ee being closer to an i.  It is Greek (zisimos).

1 minute ago, snortingfrogs said:

I would be very interested if it would work with my Philips BDM4065UC monitor =)

Not supported, sorry.

First i need my current setup to be able to handle 4K at high refresh rates, i think its gonna be a while

Is it only me or is linus's voice sped up and so is the intro? It's higher pitched .. 

reloading fixed, why is there so much static?!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Groundedbeef said:

First i need my current setup to be able to handle 4K at high refresh rates, i think its gonna be a while

Switch between 4k and 1080p240 in the same display ;)

That his is quite annoying in the video..

Panel is a cool prototype thing

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, cirthix said:

Switch between 4k and 1080p240 in the same display ;)

i would rather not run 1080p on my 4K monitor, regardless of refreshrates

I can finally watch something about 4K in 4K on my phone :)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, Groundedbeef said:

i would rather not run 1080p on my 4K monitor, regardless of refreshrates

Aside from truetype font rendering which isn't used in games, 1080p on a 4k screen with 1:4 mapping (thats the key!) generally looks better than 1080p on a 1080p native screen of the same size due to the reduction of the screendoor effect.  No fuzzyness with 1:4 mapping.

7 minutes ago, cirthix said:

Aside from truetype font rendering which isn't used in games, 1080p on a 4k screen with 1:4 mapping (thats the key!) generally looks better than 1080p on a 1080p native screen due to the reduction of the screendoor effect.  No fuzzyness with 1:4 mapping.

But does it look better than 4K?

1 minute ago, Groundedbeef said:

But does it look better than 4K?

Of course not on a static image, but it is 240hz vrs 120, which some may consider as looking better in a game.   I personally use mine in 4k120 most of the time, but do switch it down to 1080p240 for LoL.

I'm confused about what parts or part would be needed to upgrade a monitor already with the panel. I'm running an Upstar m280a1, which is a 28" 4k TN monitor (probably the right panel), and would consider it if I just need to replace the controller and some smaller parts. I wouldn't be against rewiring the buttons on the monitor too.

1 minute ago, PokemonMasta said:

I'm confused about what parts or part would be needed to upgrade a monitor already with the panel. I'm running an Upstar m280a1, which is a 28" 4k TN monitor (probably the right panel), and would consider it if I just need to replace the controller and some smaller parts. I wouldn't be against rewiring the buttons on the monitor too.

You can certainly reuse the panel, there was only one 28" 4k panel made, so it makes identification easy.  Get the x28kit for a few hundred less :)

It is basically a full display minus the panel which you already have.

Does anyone else hear MAJOR hissing in the audio for this video on YouTube? (Auto 4k video settings)

I've got M-Audio BX5's with a Scarlet 6i6 interface.

The sponsor spot at the end sounds perfectly fine. Just the content audio is awful. :(

Im actually gonna probably buy one for 1080 240hz specially with that price, this will be also nice for games like super smash bros

yeahyuz