Michael Dell donates $36M to victims of Hurricane Harvey

NumLock21

Michael Dell, the founder of Dell computer and his wife, has pledged $36 million of their own money to help with the recovery, of those affected by Hurricane Harvey. Being a Texas native, he and his wife is also setting up a fund, called Rebuild Texas Fund, where they're goal is to raise up to $100 million dollars.

Dell and his wife are also among the biggest philanthropists in the state, so it's not at all surprising to see them step in with an effort that's more than a big, one-off donation. This fund may be something in place for years; in fact, the fund's page proclaims: "A Texas-sized disaster requires a Texas-sized response."

Dell says 100% of donations will go to recovery/rebuilding efforts because his foundation and the OneStar Foundation will be picking up the tab for administrative costs. OneStar acts like a hub that assists with non-profits in Texas.

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-dell-houston-100-million-2017-9

https://www.rebuildtx.org/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

And yet they refused aid from quebec

Wait are you serious?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

What?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

another evil corp PR move :dry:

and worst of the bunch after paypal and apple

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Himommies said:

Because they already have enough qualified people and equipment/supplies coming out the wazoo, which is what Quebec was offering. Their assistance would have had marginal effect at a high cost for Canada which could be applied elsewhere, especially if Irma ends up hitting landfall somewhere as a Cat 4. The money is for long term recovery over the next decade at the least which has nothing to do with the immediate emergency. Well, unless Quebec was planning to loan Texas their hydro crews for the next several years.

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

the fuq ur yaking about?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Still waiting to find out what qualifies as an adequate effort to support Hurricane Harvey relief.  So many are people willing to say "it's not enough" and declare it a PR stunt, but never give an idea of what "enough" is.  $100 million?  $1 billion?  You get the impression that some won't be happy until the companies wipe out their entire cash reserves.

I'm not saying $36 million is a perfect number, but for goodness' sake... it's $36 million from Michael and Susan Dell.  Even for a very wealthy couple, that's a lot of money to give away in one shot.  I'm sure he doesn't mind the publicity, but that's too much money to be just a stunt.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

Still waiting to find out what qualifies as an adequate effort to support Hurricane Harvey relief.  So many are people willing to say "it's not enough" and declare it a PR stunt, but never give an idea of what "enough" is.  $100 million?  $1 billion?  You get the impression that some won't be happy until the companies wipe out their entire cash reserves.

I'm not saying $36 million is a perfect number, but for goodness' sake... it's $36 million from Michael and Susan Dell.  Even for a very wealthy couple, that's a lot of money to give away in one shot.  I'm sure he doesn't mind the publicity, but that's too much money to be just a stunt.

obviously 99% of their income cause, you know, they rich and rich people don't deserve the money they sacrificed their lives for and took a lot of risks to get where they are 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Huge props to Dell..unlike Apple who can easily do this, but expects their users to dump even more to make themselves look good.

12 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Huge props to Dell..unlike Apple who can easily do this, but expects their users to dump even more to make themselves look good.

You're assuming Apple hasn't done anything.  The company rarely if ever makes its own donations public.  Closest you get was a past promise of donation matching for employees, and that only emerged through a leak.

I still get a kick out of people trying to demonize Apple for making it easy to donate, as if it would somehow have been better for Apple to do nothing.  And I'll bet that if Apple did publicly announce a donation, whatever figure it gave would never be high enough for some people.

12 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Apple probably will, they just won't say it publicly. Between various leaks and information from both Apple and non-Apple sources the company has donated over 100 MILLION dollars to various charities within the last decade. The real number is probably a hell of a lot higher then that as outside of the first year there is no information on how much Apple has donated to charity through their employee matching program. If you aren't aware: Through the employee donation matching program Apple will match any donation to a non-profit charity by employees dollar-for-dollar up to $10,000 per employee per year. During the last quarter of 2011, the first year they did the program, Apple matched over $1 million in employee donations.

22 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Michael Dell, the founder of Dell computer and his wife, has pledged $36 million of their own money to help with the recovery

Good on them!

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

Thread cleaned.

While I understand the reason, let's try to avoid the snarky comments, the conspiracy theories and religious debate.

In short, follow the Community Standards ; "be respectful" and "no religious debate".

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 9/2/2017 at 4:58 PM, ravenshrike said:

Because they already have enough qualified people and equipment/supplies coming out the wazoo, which is what Quebec was offering. Their assistance would have had marginal effect at a high cost for Canada which could be applied elsewhere, especially if Irma ends up hitting landfall somewhere as a Cat 4. The money is for long term recovery over the next decade at the least which has nothing to do with the immediate emergency. Well, unless Quebec was planning to loan Texas their hydro crews for the next several years.

That's the kind of shit a public servant would discuss in private and in public just reply "We appreciate the efforts we will coordinate with them"

Sorry but telling them the PR equivalent of "Fuck off Canucks" was not ok

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That's the kind of shit a public servant would discuss in private and in public just reply "We appreciate the efforts we will coordinate with them"

Except that's not what actually happened.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/texas-official-disputes-declining-quebecs-harvey-aid-and-asking-for-prayers-instead/ar-AAr8lT4

Pablos did indeed ask for Quebecers' prayers, Taylor said, but he also informed St-Pierre that his office isn't responsible for determining disaster response needs. She was directed instead to the Department of Public Safety.

A spokesperson for St-Pierre issued a statement on Saturday that echoed the version of events provided by Pablos' office.

"Contrary to what has been reported in the media, Secretary Pablos did not decline the minister's offer, but instead made sure Quebec made contact with the proper Texas state agency that receives assistance and aid from foreign governments," said Ann-Clara Vaillancourt.

So this was the media taking something out of context, again.

28 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Except that's not what actually happened.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/texas-official-disputes-declining-quebecs-harvey-aid-and-asking-for-prayers-instead/ar-AAr8lT4

So this was the media taking something out of context, again.

He specifically said this:

"But at the same time he said, 'Thank you for your offer but at this moment the situation seems to be under control.'"

The situation hardly seems under control. There seems to be some damage control over what he said but if he said that, verbatim, yeah that was a shit thing to do. I don't really care about the "prayers" comment that's just irrelevant to me but telling someone "thanks but it's under control" seems like a shit thing to say given the situation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Today at Walmart I was asked to donate to their Hurricane Harvey relief fund...while buying 6 cases of bottled water in preparation for when we inevitability get boned by Irma.

I just looked at her like "have you not watched the news this past week". Bottled water/sports drinks (Gatorade/Powerade)/bottled tea/literally everything else containing water is sold out everywhere in a 150 mile radius. Gas is almost completely gone at 75% of gas stations near us and this idiot asks me to donate to the Harvey relief effort...

Edited by SansVarnic
Cleaned for language

Moral of this thread: You're always 1 million dollars too short when donating to something. 

Other moral: Florida sucks... Point proven:

On 9/4/2017 at 9:58 PM, imreloadin said:

Today at Walmart I was asked to donate to their Hurricane Harvey relief fund...while buying 6 cases of bottled water in preparation for when we inevitability get boned by Irma.

I just looked at her like "have you not watched the news this past week". Bottled water/sports drinks (Gatorade/Powerade)/bottled tea/literally everything else containing water is sold out everywhere in a 150 mile radius. Gas is almost completely gone at 75% of gas stations near us and this idiot asks me to donate to the Harvey relief effort...

Edited by SansVarnic
cleaned quote

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

He specifically said this:

No, the reporter was told he said that. However given that it was not a direct quote from him, it is entirely possible that what he said was similar but not the same. Not to mention, if that part of the discussion was explicitly about the hydro crews, then he very well could be telling the truth. Most of Texas is its own section of the NorAm power grid and is set up pretty damn well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_of_the_United_States#/media/File:NERC-map-en.svg