Intel's 18-core Xeon CPU might be coming to the iMac Pro

Intel's 18-core Xeon CPU may be destined for the iMac Pro

I think having such a powerfull CPU for a professional grade computer may be what apple needs to have a even bigger edge over other solutions for pofessionals.

however will the cost f it go up

what do you guys think?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/29/intel-18-core-xeon-w-cpu/

After the 18-core model, you're looking at Xeon Ws with 14, 10, 8 and fewer cores. The top-of-the-line chip can be boosted to 4.3 GHz if you've got the cooling, while the lesser models can go up to 4.5 GHz. The new CPUs also support up to 512GB of DDR4-2666 ECC RAM and have 48 PCI Express 3.0 lanes, giving you plenty of storage and port options. All told, performance is 38 percent better than the current Xeon E5 generation, Intel says.

Cool, I guess. I bet pricing will be double that other prebuilts though.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Not really news, seeing as we've got a thread on the 2K17 iMac Pro that specifies 'up to 18 core' and ECC support.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It's odd how Apple is not going to use the 28-Core Xeon Platinum for their top of the line iMac Pro. In related news, some rumors suggest that a new Mac Pro tower will be coming next year and will features two CPU's.

Only 48 PCIe lanes.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Only 48 PCIe lanes.....

What did you expect? 40 Lanes was the standard for server platforms until AMD Epyc came along.

About time? never understood how Apple sells the idea of top of the line without being top of the line.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

How much reeeeeeeeeeeeing about Apple can we get in a single thread? Let's find out!

On topic, cool. A little confused as to why Apple isn't going for Epyc yet, although that might boil down to making it work right with macOS.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

never understood how Apple sells the idea of top of the line without being top of the line.

Highly validated and highly optimized machines.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

A little confused as to why Apple isn't going for Epyc yet, although that might boil down to making it work right with macOS.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Not to mention, Apple can't use Thunderbolt with AMD hardware yet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

the apple pro line has devolved into "this is what you buy. don't plan on an upgrade for another 5 years"

can't imagine paying pretty much any money for a proprietary machine in a proprietary form factor running proprietary software.

just the fact that more people use windows xp than mac os says a lot

The impossibility of ever cleaning the dust out of any modern 'slim' machine makes me cringe.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

An 18 core xeon in an IMac Pro, knowing apple products, its going to be expensive! 

47 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Only 48 PCIe lanes.....

Not that you're going to notice even if you had 100 on an AiO.

1 hour ago, BlazingBlob said:

I think having such a powerfull CPU for a professional grade computer may be what apple needs to have a even bigger edge over other solutions for pofessionals.

An edge over what? Professionals can already buy 18 core workstations and more...

43 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

A little confused as to why Apple isn't going for Epyc yet

Epyc is too new, it's still too early for companies to adopt it in bulk. Besides, Apple has always been a few generations behind with the hardware in their products. Also, the package is massive so maybe it's hard to fit into an AiO.

13 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

An 18 core xeon in an IMac Pro, knowing apple products, its going to be expensive! 

My bet is 15k

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Not that you're going to notice even if you had 100 on an AiO.

An edge over what? Professionals can already buy 18 core workstations and more...

Epyc is too new, it's still too early for companies to adopt it in bulk. Besides, Apple has always been a few generations behind with the hardware in their products. Also, the package is massive so maybe it's hard to fit into an AiO.

My bet is 15k

The Skylake-SP package is similar to the AMD Epyc package.

5 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

The Skylake-SP package is similar to the AMD Epyc package.

The article doesn't say what socket it's on, I assumed it would be on the LGA2066 socket, but maybe not. I just hope that, whatever socket it's on, they'll be able to cool it properly given their past record with iMacs. If they can barely cool a 95W i7 I wonder what they'll do with a 140W xeon.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The article doesn't say what socket it's on, I assumed it would be on the LGA2066 socket, but maybe not. I just hope that, whatever socket it's on, they'll be able to cool it properly given their past record with iMacs. If they can barely cool a 95W i7 I wonder what they'll do with a 140W xeon.

It will be on the LGA 3647 socket. There will not be any Xeons that use the LGA 2066 socket. In theory, they could have a 28-Core model but a 205W CPU will be even more difficult to cool.

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

In theory, they could have a 28-Core model but a 205W CPU will be even more difficult to cool.

And that is why you shouldn't shove a workstation in an AiO form factor...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

And that is why you shouldn't shove a workstation in an AiO form factor...

Supposedly Mac Pro towers with dual CPU's are coming.

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

Supposedly Mac Pro towers with dual CPU's are coming.

but what they put in it is the question.

i dont trust apple will do well in this area

1 minute ago, BlazingBlob said:

but what they put in it is the question.

i dont trust apple will do well in this area

I don't trust them now but back in the day they made great workstations.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

I don't trust them now but back in the day they made great workstations.

this is true

hopefully they can turn it around and go back to thier roots of having a workstation that can be changed around and better hardware,

unfortunatley i dont think this will happen any time soon because they are having so much sucsess with appealing to the consumer grade instead of enthuseast and professional grade

but only time will tell

Just now, BlazingBlob said:

this is true

hopefully they can turn it around and go back to thier roots of having a workstation that can be changed around and better hardware,

unfortunatley i dont think this will happen any time soon because they are having so much sucsess with appealing to the consumer grade instead of enthuseast and professional grade

but only time will tell

Either way Macs are a just a small part of their business, the vast majority of their profit comes from iPhones and iPads.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Either way Macs are a just a small part of their business, the vast majority of their profit comes from iPhones and iPads.

yes and thats why i dont think they will emphesise or even follow through with this whole dual cpu thing but lets hope if they do it acts as a catalyst for apple to consider looking into the professionaml and enthuseast grade computers at a decent price