Original Xbox One has been discontinued

AlTech

Microsoft Corporation has discontinued their original launch Xbox One released in 2013. The refurbished models of the product are still available.

Microsoft is leaving Xbox One enthusiasts with 2 choices for consoles: Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

Microsoft has discontinued the original Xbox One model, leaving new buyers to choose between either the more powerful Xbox One X or the slimmer Xbox One S. The move isn’t surprising, and if you were keen on getting ahold of the original model, you still have an option: refurbished. A 500GB refurbished model is still listed as available online via the Microsoft Store for $199 USD.

Microsoft is no longer selling its original Xbox One in the US. The software giant only offers retail versions of the Xbox One S and Xbox One X at its online store, with just $199 refurbished models of the original Xbox One available. Kotaku UK reports that while the original Xbox One has vanished from the US store, Microsoft’s UK store simply lists the old console as “sold out.”

The original Xbox One, that resembled a VCR unit, first launched nearly four years ago priced $100 more than Sony’s PlayStation 4. The gap and the fall out from Microsoft’s mixed messaging on the Xbox One led to Sony taking an early lead in the console wars. Microsoft closed the price gap by unbundling the Kinect sensor from the Xbox One, six months after originally launching the console. While the Xbox One has struggled to match the sales pace of the PS4, Microsoft has refocused its efforts on games and better hardware.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if Sony has discontinued the original Playstation 4 as well. Personally, I think that the Xbox One X needs to have a 2TB model and idk what the status of the 1TB model is.

I mention the Xbox One X because it is ...

the “fastest-selling Xbox pre-order ever.”

Well. Goodbye VCR Xbone from 2013...... :D,

Sources:

https://www.slashgear.com/original-xbox-one-discontinued-buyers-now-choose-between-x-and-s-25496865/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/25/16206532/microsoft-xbox-one-original-console-discontinued

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I love how the XB1 was $100 more expensive and that failed to bring buyers when the PS4 was $300 more expensive and still got people to buy... People will b#tch no matter what these days. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I love how the XB1 was $100 more expensive and that failed to bring buyers when the PS4 was $300 more expensive and still got people to buy... People will b#tch no matter what these days. 

The original also was supposed to launch with always Online DRM but consumers lashed out and so it didn't happen.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

The original also was supposed to launch with always Online DRM but consumers lashed out and so it didn't happen.

As far as I know, it was never always online according to a friend's military magazine (US Marines). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

and now windows 10 has always online drm we track everything camera in your bedroom 1984 , and 30% of the world thought sure no problem lol

Just now, ARikozuM said:

As far as I know, it was never always online according to a friend's military magazine (US Marines). 

No, i'm saying they planned to at launch but people cried out and so they cancelled it.

11 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

kinda surprised they kept making the garbage model for so long, the price on the One S with it's 4K BLURAY PLAYER makes ANY amount for a regular xbox stupid

They stopped a while ago. They were just working through stock. Same thing will happen with the launch PS4 as well in the future.

Something about the process node that was being used was EoL at some point. I think it's an AMD design on a TSMC process? Both Xbox & PS4 got upgrades because of the Fab issue.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No, i'm saying they planned to at launch but people cried out and so they cancelled it.

I'm not usually one for believing unsubstantiated rumors, but I do believe The playstation was almost  the same, Sony saw the backlash against xbox and removed theirs while capitalising on the bad PR xbox had.  The day one patch on PS4 was pretty big, (guess what that update removed).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'm not usually one for believing unsubstantiated rumors, but I do believe The playstation was almost  the same, Sony saw the backlash against xbox and removed theirs while capitalising on the bad PR xbox had.  The day one patch on PS4 was pretty big, (guess what that update removed).

microsofts announcement and the severe backlash at always online was well before the consoles launches. Might have been up to a year even. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

microsofts announcement and the severe backlash at always online was well before the consoles launches. Might have been up to a year even. 

I though it was a few months

EDIT: just late enough to make it an update issue rather than changing the OS on the pS4

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm actually just baffled as to why he Xbox One was not immediately put out of production after the Xbox One S was released.  Isn't it SOP to move production over entirely the moment a new 'slim' model is released and just the old model flow out of the supply chain?  Why would you want two distinct Xbox One SKUs on shelves while you already have MULTIPLE SKUs with different HDD size or pack in content or colors.  That's just using up more valuable retail shelf space to sell a console who's only trait is 'I'm just like the one next to me on this shelf, but I take up more space under your TV and I can't play UHD BDs!'?

If microsoft officially announced that the Xbox one X is sold out and not available for preorder anyway, than RIP console gamers. Considering that its the fastest selling console and the most powerful in the world, thats probably the reason why its sold out already and if microsoft doesnt plan on making anymore for the consumer market, you would have to rely on older refurbushed consoles.

3 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

If microsoft officially announced that the Xbox one X is sold out and not available for preorder anyway, than RIP console gamers. Considering that its the fastest selling console and the most powerful in the world, thats probably the reason why its sold out already and if microsoft doesnt plan on making anymore for the consumer market, you would have to rely on older refurbushed consoles.

..,You totally missed the part about the Slim, Xbox One S model still being very much in production, didn't you?

11 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Why the hell would they not make anymore Xbox one X's? lol!

Wait does that mean the price of my original Xbox could go up?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Even with the price drop, I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would buy the OG XBO or PS4. Seriously, I'm opened to explanations. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I wonder when the next version will come out.

Part of me hopes sometime next year. I'd love to see how the market would react to yearly console releases the same way that we get yearly CPU and GPU releases.

(Honestly I'd just like to see the console industry commit financial suicide by trying that fucking hard to bilk their customers for undeserved money)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I kinda wish they would have just used the same design for the Xbone S because I hate how the S looks and the original looked great to me (and capacitive buttons are really nice IMO).

Guess I'll just wait for the X to come out because it's not hideous, and it's just nicer overall.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm actually just baffled as to why he Xbox One was not immediately put out of production after the Xbox One S was released.  Isn't it SOP to move production over entirely the moment a new 'slim' model is released and just the old model flow out of the supply chain?  Why would you want two distinct Xbox One SKUs on shelves while you already have MULTIPLE SKUs with different HDD size or pack in content or colors.  That's just using up more valuable retail shelf space to sell a console who's only trait is 'I'm just like the one next to me on this shelf, but I take up more space under your TV and I can't play UHD BDs!'?

It can take a while to sell the remaining units.

For example, I think that iPad Mini 4 isn't really being produced and that they're just selling existing stock.

13 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I wonder when the next version will come out.

Do you mean the successor of the Xbox One Family or the latest member of the Xbox One Family?

Xbox One X is coming out in November I think.

Part of me hopes sometime next year. I'd love to see how the market would react to yearly console releases the same way that we get yearly CPU and GPU releases.

I think Phil Spencer was asked about this and they said something about not wanting to push frequent hardware refreshes.

The next brand new hardware could probably show up in 2019 or 2020.

(Honestly I'd just like to see the console industry commit financial suicide by trying that fucking hard to bilk their customers for undeserved money)

Actually, to be completely honest: Consoles  are relatively cheap for the experience you get.

Consoles have only been able to be this cheap in this generation because AMD is not making huge profit margins on Console semi Custom SOCs (which is why Nvidia refused to provide SOCs for Sony or Microsoft).

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It can take a while to sell the remaining units.

Yeah, no,  The Xbox One S went on sale a year ago this week.  There's no way MS has still been pushing through old stock of the the standard model until today.  And also only TODAY did they announce that it was discontinued so it wasn't discontinued a year ago while the sold through the old stock.  Consoles sell faster than that.  And often hardware is actually discontinued as PRODUCTION of the new version is switched over rather than having two production lines overlap.  They were clearly producing them concurrently for... Some reason.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, no,  The Xbox One S went on sale a year ago this week.  There's no way MS has still been pushing through old stock of the the standard model until today.  And also only TODAY did they announce that it was discontinued so it wasn't discontinued a year ago while the sold through the old stock.  Consoles sell faster than that.  THey were clearly producing them concurrently for... Some reason.

I think they still sold them due to natively having a Kinnect Port. Also this is Microsoft's Xbox brand we're talking about, they're not flying off store shelves right now.

Sony has sold around 2x more consoles than Microsoft this generation * Info from a ReviewTechUSA video I think.