Cryptocurrency Mining Causes Abnormally high Q2 GPU Shipments, Causes AMD to Gain a Little Market Share

DocSwag

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11762/cryptomining-demand-drives-exceptionally-high-graphics-card-shipments-in-q2-2017

This week, Jon Peddie Research (JPR) reported significantly higher discrete GPU shipments for Q2 2017, attributing the historically unprecedented increase to cryptocurrency mining, specifically to Ethereum mining. As opposed to the cryptocurrency mining demand of a few years ago, JPR notes that the ASIC-resistant nature of Ethereum mining has especially encouraged GPU mining. In terms of discrete desktop graphics market share, AMD gained a few percentage points from NVIDIA, bringing the current balance to AMD’s 29.4% versus NVIDIA’s 70.6%.

In context, the GPU and PC markets fluctuate in a relatively consistent seasonal pattern: shipments trend flat to down in Q1, notably down in Q2, notably up in Q3, and up to flat in Q4. According to JPR, Q2 2017 has seen an unprecedented 31% increase in discrete GPU shipments from Q1, the first time in over eight years that Q1-to-Q2 shipments have seen an increase at all. Discounting the minor increases during the recession, Q2 has always been the seasonally weak quarter for graphics card shipments.

aib-pr2.png

On the back of that cryptomining demand, discrete GPUs have regained market share over integrated GPUs (iGPUs). Weak iGPU and desktop PC shipment numbers continue to reflect the overall declining PC market, while the high-end gaming PC sector continues to be the bright spot for the market. Overall, GPU shipments increased by 7.2% from last quarter.

mwq2-002b.png

Vendor-wise, JPR reports that AMD’s overall unit shipments increased 7.8% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s shipments increased 6.3%, and NVIDIA’s shipments increased 10.4%. As mentioned earlier, AMD did gain market share in discrete desktop graphics, but still remains below last year’s market share level.

aib-pr1.png

Here we can see the full extent of what the cryptocurrency mining boom has done in terms of gpu shipments. Normally Q1-Q2 is a reduction in gpu shipments, but instead we see a 30% gain.

As well, in the below picture we can see gpu shipments are nearly as high as what q3 of last year was at (q3 and q4 usually have much higher shipments compared to q1 and Q2 due to back to school and holiday shopping). 

aib-pr3.png

As well, as many of you already know and could probably tell amd GPUs have been much more popular when it comes to mining. This is somewhat reflected in us seeing amd gain 2% of market share compared to last quarter.

All in all its interesting to see just how big an impact cryptocurrency mining has made on gpu shipments. What I'm wondering is if this is gonna continue on for a few more months and potentially raise q3 and q4 shipments, possibly raising quarterly shipments to unprescented highs...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

There's another thread somewhere 'round here about the evils of mining, but this post is particularly telling. In no way is AMD going to discourage anyone from using their hardware, but... I could imagine them wanting to reduce RMA/Warranty replacements to keep costs down. I don't know how slim a margin they operate, but could imagine it's rather narrow. Fundamentally they want the sales, but must manage their reputation at the same time: Just look at the work they've put into their gaming oriented drivers.

It's not encouraging of them to play both sides of the coin (ahem) in a disingenuous manner, but here's a toast to increased sales for one of my "go to" companies.

That "Intel" market share is a bit odd... I mean, I get everyone pretty much has an iGPU, but those aren't serious cards.  Usually when looking at market share you'd ignore those and only rate AMD and nvidia on their portion of the sum of those two.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That "Intel" market share is a bit odd... I mean, I get everyone pretty much has an iGPU, but those aren't serious cards.  Usually when looking at market share you'd ignore those and only rate AMD and nvidia on their portion of the sum of those two.

Well they also have to take out intergrated amd chips as well in that case

Anyway they are screwed in the gaming market right now but the compute performance is good so it isn't a surprise miners are picking the vega cards up

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Exactly, serious in what respect? iGPUs run circles around dedicated GPUs of yore, and are actually more than the average consumer needs. That wasn't true all that long ago. Enthusiasts - such as ourselves - need more, but we're not as mainstream as we used to be. Don't forget that AMD has yet to release it's revamped APUs, and that will shake up the iGPU market something fierce.

37 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not entirely sure that's fair though.  There ARE people gaming on those IGPs.  There are plenty of people who have a laptop or something with just an Intel IGP and they are still casually enjoying games on that hardware.  You can totally run Overwatch or Team Fortress II  or CS:GO or something else akin to that 'well enough' on an Intel IGP.  You an argue that that's not 'Gaming Hardware' but it's still 'Hardware that people are gaming on'.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I find it very helpful to know how iGPU (and all other more mundane desktop hardware)  is doing.  Gamer's really only make up a small portion of the market, and as has been suggested before that the desktop as we know it has its days numbered,   Knowing how well general consumer products are selling helps us to see what direction the whole industry may/may not turn.

As far as mining goes,  whilst I don't like it personally,  Having another demand in the market for HEDT PC parts means manufacturers will keep contouring products that suit enthusiasts needs. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm not entirely sure that's fair though.  There ARE people gaming on those IGPs.  [...]

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Well they also have to take out intergrated amd chips as well in that case [...]

Yeah I guess.  I guess what I want to avoid is it counting GPUs are there "just cuz", and focus on ones people actually use "intentionally", for gaming.  I don't know how you'd count  that accurately though... I have to imagine most iGPUs wouldn't fall into that category, but you're right that some would, especially AMD APUs. 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, {PK} HastyPixels said:

I could imagine them wanting to reduce RMA/Warranty replacements to keep costs down.

That is, of course, assuming that RMA rates have actually changed due to mining, and not RMA count scaling up along side sales.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

and as has been suggested before that the desktop as we know it has its days numbered,

Only for basic tasks. The humble desktop isn't going to be disappearing any time soon, save for shitty OEM budget builds.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Only for basic tasks. The humble desktop isn't going to be disappearing any time soon, save for shitty OEM budget builds.

It already is,  office's and schools are going to thin clients/laptops and the home market is being replaced with phones/tablets.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I guess.  I guess what I want to avoid is it counting GPUs are there "just cuz", and focus on ones people actually use "intentionally", for gaming.  I don't know how you'd count  that accurately though... I have to imagine most iGPUs wouldn't fall into that category, but you're right that some would, especially AMD APUs. 

The AMD APU Gen7 is actually quite a powerhouse for its respective power consumption. It produces playable framerates of Ori and the Blind Forest at 1080p. "Power without the Price". This segment of the market has been AMD's saving grace for many a year now.

On 8/26/2017 at 10:56 PM, AshleyAshes said:

I'm not entirely sure that's fair though.  There ARE people gaming on those IGPs.  There are plenty of people who have a laptop or something with just an Intel IGP and they are still casually enjoying games on that hardware.  You can totally run Overwatch or Team Fortress II  or CS:GO or something else akin to that 'well enough' on an Intel IGP.  You an argue that that's not 'Gaming Hardware' but it's still 'Hardware that people are gaming on'.

Even I play Dark Souls 2 on my MBP with the iGPU. It can handle it.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

I can play CS:GO 1366x768p 60fps+ stable on my Intel HD Graphics inside the i7 7500u just fine :P

But yes I suppose it would be more fitting to count "video cards" only and not everything capable of graphic processing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I can play CS:GO 1366x768p 60fps+ stable on my Intel HD Graphics inside the i7 7500u just fine :P

But yes I suppose it would be more fitting to count "video cards" only and not everything capable of graphic processing.

I bet $20 that once Sonic Mania hits Steam in two days, my i7 7500u will run it at 4K@60fps. :D

21 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

"intentionally"

Well...a HD 620 can run more or less all 2014 triple As at 720p30+@low and some 2015/2016 triple As at 720p30@low. Then there's the 'iris' iGPUs (such as the 650) which allows a large number of 2016 triple As to run at 720p30+@low and heck even some 2017 triple As at 720p30+@low.

So if we were to consider how powerful current gen intel iGPUs are, I can actually see people intentionally gaming on them :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Pffftttt, only 60fps on your i7 7500U? 

I was hitting 55fps at 1080p with my 4500U :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Pffftttt, only 60fps on your i7 7500U? 

I was hitting 55fps at 1080p with my 4500U :P 

Not much point in going higher when you're stuck to an Acer laptop 60hz screen xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not much point in going higher when you're stuck to an Acer laptop 60hz screen xD

Of course for those of us who want to occasionally play Battlefield 1942, Bejeweled 3 or Stardew Valley, all we need to do is plug a toaster into our monitors, and away we go. :D

Just now, {PK} HastyPixels said:

Yes, I do have ePSXe emulator on it, runs any PS1 games like a charm, really like Harvest Moon.

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yes, I do have ePSXe emulator on it, runs any PS1 games like a charm, really like Harvest Moon.

Your toaster? Oh wait. That's the beauty of emulators, they'll run on just about anything. Love 'em.

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well...a HD 620 can run more or less all 2014 triple As at 720p30+@low and some 2015/2016 triple As at 720p30@low. Then there's the 'iris' iGPUs (such as the 650) which allows a large number of 2016 triple As to run at 720p30+@low and heck even some 2017 triple As at 720p30+@low.

So if we were to consider how powerful current gen intel iGPUs are, I can actually see people intentionally gaming on them :P 

Not long ago, Pre Sandy Bridge, iGPUs were hardly fit for even old games. Now they're good enough for many people.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Digimon World on my phone ftw.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

and if they do, then that's fair, they should be counted.  I just don't want to see the numbers artificially inflated by counting all the igpus that sit idle in office pcs, non-gamer home users, etc