Intel 8700k 11% faster than 7700k

NumLock21
1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

I guess I'm blind.  xD

I see two 4's and a bunch of blur open to interpretation.  I guess I need to improve upon my 20/20 vision.  

I got that great 200/20 ( or 20/200 how ever it is suppose to be) and I could see the 4.

(basically means I need to be 10x closer to read something with out my glasses)

I hope AMD's zen2 CPU's are on track, I expect them to be 12c24t (mainstream)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If Intel gets the pricing right, Coffeelake is going to be amazing!

If Intel prices aggressively with 10-20 bucks of Ryzen, the Ryzen lineup R5 and below would be instantly obsolete. The R7 would only make sense if you absolutely need 16 threads. Even then, the 8700K OC would get dangerously close to the R7's anyway.

Intel has a real chance to completely halt the Ryzen train right in its tracks IF they price competitively.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

12 minutes ago, GatioH said:

Yep. FX 9590

Just looked it up, I missed that somehow.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I got that great 200/20 ( or 20/200 how ever it is suppose to be) and I could see the 4.

(basically means I need to be 10x closer to read something with out my glasses)

I hope AMD's zen2 CPU's are on track, I expect them to be 12c24t (mainstream)

Too funny man.

Would you want 12c/24t or 8 badass cores with more clock speed and IPC?  I'd personally take the latter for mainstream.  :D

Ah yes, I definitely saw that "15% performance gain" from Skylake to Kaby Lake. Wait, no, it was 0%.

Not expecting much improvement in Coffee Lake's single threaded performance in comparison to Kaby Lake... if any.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Ah yes, I definitely saw that "15% performance gain" from Skylake to Kaby Lake. Wait, no, it was 0%.

Not expecting much improvement in Coffee Lake's single threaded performance in comparison to Kaby Lake... if any.

Don't forget clock speed as there was definitely a difference between the two.  It damn sure wasn't 15%, but it wasn't 0% either.  

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

performance gain can be in areas you arent utilizing

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Too funny man.

Would you want 12c/24t or 8 badass cores with more clock speed and IPC?  I'd personally take the latter for mainstream.  :D

I am also hoping for a better clock ceiling (4.2-4.6), I personally would go for the 12c. I would also love to see a bit more PCIe like 28~ lanes vs 20.

But this is for me personally.

My eyes are that bad, I am near sighted and it becomes blurry at 6" and farther from my face.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Don't forget clock speed as there was definitely a difference between the two.  It damn sure wasn't 15%, but it wasn't 0% either.  

Even accounting for the bump in stock clockspeed, it's probably a 5% improvement at most. Clock-for-clock though... well, not much has changed at all.

5 minutes ago, pas008 said:

performance gain can be in areas you arent utilizing

Such as?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

But thread ripper has 16 cores :D

Threadripper is HEDT, not mainstream.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Even accounting for the bump in stock clockspeed, it's probably a 5% improvement at most. Clock-for-clock though... well, not much has changed at all.

Such as?

Kinda what I said.  :D

Don't get too excited. They claimed Skylake has a 10% advantage over Haswell, they claimed Kaby lake had a 10% advantage over Skylake, it's a load of shit.

Hopefully AMD will bring the next Zen CPUs because I refuse to pay the Intel premium any longer. Clearly Intel are going to price these chips at $400 with $200 overclocking motherboards, I'd pay that price when there was no competition but if Intel want to throw bullshit prices and ignore Ryzen they lose my business.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

If Intel prices aggressively with 10-20 bucks of Ryzen, the Ryzen lineup R5 and below would be instantly obsolete. The R7 would only make sense if you absolutely need 16 threads. Even then, the 8700K OC would get dangerously close to the R7's anyway.

Intel has a real chance to completely halt the Ryzen train right in its tracks IF they price competitively.

8700k at 390USD incoming! :)

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Looking over that picture again, the 3.8 is unclear but the 4.3 and 4.5 can be seen. Which begs the question, why are there 3 listings for frequency? Base, turbo and single core turbo?

Stock, TB 2.0, TB 3.0

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

The R7 would only make sense if you absolutely need 16 threads. Even then, the 8700K OC would get dangerously close to the R7's anyway.

Idk, if they managed to improve IPC by 10% and Coffeelake can clock like Kabylake, the 8700K may be able to match/beat the R7 in multi threaded applications.8700Kcb.png.9f6eb6e5b071b7f9e3f9434545df8f7b.png

(The R7 score is the best score I could find, an average R7 doesn't score that high)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, done12many2 said:

That's a pretty sweet price for the increase.

It wouldn't be a bad price, actually, but the thought that Intel is going to price cut that much is a little questionable.

Actually, given the way Intel should be pricing, given their market position, they're highly likely to keep the top SKU price fairly high. Those 6c parts cost Intel a good chunk more than the 4c parts from Kaby Lake to produce.

So basically it's another tiny change that can be achieved with overclocking--assuming you have a previous gen Intel chip with the same number of cores/threads.

Does Coffee still have mayo under the IHS or is it paste made from ground coffee beans to be festive?

So another theoretical 11% that intel managed to achieve on a likely rigged benchmark so they can put it on the slide but most real world applications don't see those IPC improvements?

Not sure why they don't just talk up the fact that they're packing 2 more cores accross SKUs now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Who knows we'll see what happens.  Though its apparent Intel is taking AMD seriously for the first time in awhile.  I want to see how this compares to zen 2.  10-11% IPC improvement sounds pretty standard between generations the 51% in multi-threaded i'm skeptically optimistic.

10 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

the 51% in multi-threaded i'm skeptically optimistic.

50% more cores, 50% more performance. What is so skeptical about it?

25 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk, if they managed to improve IPC by 10% and Coffeelake can clock like Kabylake, the 8700K may be able to match/beat the R7 in multi threaded applications.8700Kcb.png.9f6eb6e5b071b7f9e3f9434545df8f7b.png

(The R7 score is the best score I could find, an average R7 doesn't score that high)

Average for all submissions to our LTT thread for Cinebench is 1714 for the R7, so I'd say you should redo the math.  xD

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

50% more cores, 50% more performance. What is so skeptical about it?

Intel being known for the past years of little incremental improvement of their mainstream CPUs from generation to generation and just the general business speak and run around that all companies do to try to promote their own products.

2 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Intel being known for the past years of only incrementally improving their mainstream CPUs from generation to generation and just the general business speak and run around that all companies do to try to promote their own products.

Yeah, that applies to IPC and such.  Adding cores is just that.  With IPC remaining the same, 50% is completely logical.  No really anything to doubt.