Google says it will ban Neo-Nazi site after domain name switch

piemadd
1 hour ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

What do you have against Marlon Brando look alikes?

Fuck, I forgot all about that episode.

As much as i'm not for censorship, isnt it well within any business's rights to deny business to any party for almost any reason? (obviously not counting blatent illegal discrimination) They could literally say, we dont like these folks, we dont agree with what they stand for, we dont want their business. They still show up on google, this is no "ban" to me, This is simply google saying it doesnt want the business of Nazis. neo or any other form. 

If somebody, even a known customer comes into a store i run and proclaims to be somebody who supports white supremacy groups and would like to do unspeakable things to minorities you can be damn sure i'm not selling him a damn thing. My only qip with this whole thing is googles only doing anything about it now. They were all fine and dandy with taking money from them while it wasnt in the spotlight but now its a no no. 

EDIT: i can feel the eyes of all the mods all over this post lol.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

It's a matter of proportionality. Yes there are bad Satanist groups (there are also good ones, oddly enough) and those need to be shut down, but none have ever started a world war nor caused a loss of life on the scale that Nazi's have.

It still comes down to each individual as to where to draw the line.  One death, 2 deaths or a million deaths. It is a rational and fair claim for some that any unnecessary death is just as bad.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

It's a matter of proportionality. Yes there are bad Satanist groups (there are also good ones, oddly enough) and those need to be shut down, but none have ever started a world war nor caused a loss of life on the scale that Nazi's have.

stalin did 

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

stalin did 

*does a little Google-fu*

Huh... He didn't start the war, though. But the body count sure lines up xD (Didn't know about his connection with Satanism)

My point still relatively stands, while we need to care about the "little fish" as well, there's a much bigger fish to destroy.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

*does a little Google-fu*

Huh... He didn't start the war, though. But the body count sure lines up xD (Didn't know about his connection with Satanism)

My point still relatively stands, while we need to care about the "little fish" as well, there's a much bigger fish to destroy.

To be fair, Stalin had WAY more time to get that done.  Hitler basically invented speedran murder.

Google Domains’ Terms of Service does not currently include any provisions forbidding users from making violent threats

Are you telling me there's nothing at all about doing things that are illegal in your country, or at least by UN standards? I'm pretty sure violent threats can get you arrested, or at the very least brought in for questioning.

2 hours ago, Memories4K said:

I don't agree with nazism, communism, or any other political ideology that has to do with the mistreatment of people based on irrelevant factors or the desire to take away freedoms from the people. That said, simply because i don't agree with it and see it as hateful does not mean it does not have a right to exist.

inb4 "L00k at dis fuking nazi sympatheizer!"

I don't sympathize with nazism as an ideology, it's about the idea that if this can happen to nazis for this reason then it can happen to me for the same reason; if i want to create a website based on Satanism, i should be able to without interference from any any Abrahamic fundamentalists who see my content as "hateful" or "evil".

They have a right to exist (if they don't take action), but google being a private hosting site can keep or kick out whomever they like for whatever reason they want, as long as their contract with that user doesn't forbit it.

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Speaking of this, when will we get a ban on Antifa from Google? I heard it's classified as a terrorist organization under New Jersey's Homeland Security office.

They seem to want to censor anything that "offends".

Do you have some specific websites in mind that promote Antifa etc and violate google's terms of service? If so, try reporting them to google. They can't manually check everything they host so it's possible they just missed them.

It seems to me you're reading more into this than there really is. A targeted ban on one neonazi website does not mean google suddenly decided it was not ok to be a neonazi and razed them from the internet or whatever. Take a step back, try to consider the situation on its own without being poisoned by the constant political bickering we see on the internet by people who don't feel complete if they can't bash on a group they find stupid. A neonazi sympathizer website got banned from google hosting; is that right or wrong? What other websites have or have not been banned for doesn't really matter in this, does it?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Semi agreed, I mean I can see Googles POV here, they don't wanna be the hosts of this website (which is fine) but then again if these guys didn't violate any TaCs then do they really deserve this?

I mean can we as a collective keep banging on about internet freedom and then agree with internet censorship? I don't agree with these idiots but I respect their right to believe what they choose.

You know its one thing to let people believe what they like but its another matter when its a radical movement. They are drawing very close nazi/isis territory and i sure as heck wouldnt want it on the web or anywhere near me in real life.

21 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

You know its one thing to let people believe what they like but its another matter when its a radical movement. They are drawing very close nazi/isis territory and i sure as heck wouldnt want it on the web or anywhere near me in real life.

I deem all of your opinions to be radical and you should be erased from the internet.

See what kind of bullshit logic it is?  In 1950, you'd be deemed a radical for thinking black people shouldn't be segregated. This is why all speech needs protection not just popular speech.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

But has a Satanist Group ever been responsible for the deaths of Millions of innocent people?

It doesn't matter; to some people i'd be responsible for millions of innocent deaths simply by identifying. Has little nazi Julie, who's 16-years old in Colorado and an idiot, kill millions of people? No.

I know the nazis are wrong, but the nazis don't know they're wrong.
The nazis get the same rights as i do, it doesn't matter how wrong i think they are or don't like them; last i checked Christianity and, especially, Islam are responsible for millions of deaths but there's plenty of media presence on them.
"But those religions have good things in them!"
Yeah i can cherry-pick parts of ideologies i like as well (nothing against believers, so long as you're not throwing gay people off roofs i don't care how much you hate LGBT people), the point is that it still has a right to exist.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

1 minute ago, Memories4K said:

The nazis get the same rights as i do

Here's the thing.  There are a number of things that EVERYONE doesn't have the right to.  Nazi's and white supremacists advocate literally for the loss of rights and harm to other groups.  There are forms of speech that are not protected in a given nation, including the United States.  You have never had the right to say whatever you want ever, you only had the right to say most things.  You are not a member of a protected class if you advocate that the black guy that sits next to you at work is a 'sub-human monkey' and you can be fired for doing this.

Nobody's legal rights have been violated by GoDaddy or Google declining to allow The Daily Stormer to use their domain registration service.  Nobody's rights have been violated by CloudFlare dropping The Daily Stormer as a client.  You childishly argue that 'They have the same rights as you do' but fail to appreciate that their rights are not being violated.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

AThey have a right to exist (if they don't take action), but google being a private hosting site can keep or kick out whomever they like for whatever reason they want, as long as their contract with that user doesn't forbit it.

No, i get it; it's up to the business itself and i'm not saying Google should have to host content they don't agree with so long as they stay true to their legal obligations, beyond me that i ever tell an employer what they be allowed do with their business.
I apologize, i more-so meant in the greater scheme of things.

Just now, Memories4K said:

I apologize, i more-so meant in the greater scheme of things.

In the greater scheme of things, when you are advocating for white supremacy, for a renewal of the Jewish holocaust, for slavery and people are argueing against you, this is absolutely not akin to a 'Coke vs Pepsi' argument where 'Maybe both sides are entitled to their opinion'.

And yet, for all the death it's caused, several times more than the Nazi's,

Communists remain unashamed, and unmolested by the allegedly moral social media, entertainment, and technology industries. If you're going to ban ideologies based on the fact that they generate death on an enormous scale and cannot be allowed to exist, then you have to ban Communism, capitalism..... oh wait.

Now no one gets to talk, everyone gets to do what the overlords say. You ban one thought, and you have to ban them all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Here's the thing.  There are a number of things that EVERYONE doesn't have the right to.  Nazi's and white supremacists advocate literally for the loss of rights and harm to other groups.  There are forms of speech that are not protected in a given nation, including the United States.  You have never had the right to say whatever you want ever, you only had the right to say most things.  You are not a member of a protected class if you advocate that the black guy that sits next to you at work is a 'sub-human monkey' and you can be fired for doing this.

Nobody's legal rights have been violated by GoDaddy or Google declining to allow The Daily Stormer to use their domain registration service.  Nobody's rights have been violated by CloudFlare dropping The Daily Stormer as a client.  You childishly argue that 'They have the same rights as you do' but fail to appreciate that their rights are not being violated.

You judge people as individuals, not as groups; me as a Satanist, i shouldn't go to jail just because some Edgy asshole in South Dakota from the ONA decided to set somebody on fire.
I've had the right to say 99.9% of things as an American, that 0.1% is only not covered with real intention to murder; if i were to have some kind of weird racial or ethnic hatred it WOULD be covered in the 99.9% of shit i am allowed to say and believe in.
Well of course not, but that's because getting fired from a business does not really infringe on your freedom of speech; that's a contract you make with your employer, the conditions of your work, and nobody would tolerate the harassment of a co-worker.

Right, i should have clarified the "rights" point better; i was talking about the greater scheme of things, it was more of a response to the idea that nazi websites should be completely annihilated and not tolerated. I was showing my disapproval of the idea that one particular group who may advocate hatred is allowed to exist while the other is not a target and does not appreciate it. It was never meant to be a hit on Google, i totally get why Google would drop the Daily Stormer.

I've had the right to say 99.9% of things as an American, that 0.1% is only not covered with real intention to murder; if i were to have some kind of weird racial or ethnic hatred it WOULD be covered in the 99.9% of shit i am allowed to say and believe in.

Well, no, and this is again where you are failing to understand the limits of your rights.  For example, you can totally be fired in any state of the United States for saying racist things in the workplace.  A restaurant can deny you service for saying those things.  Your photo at a white supremacy rally can get up on Twitter and employers can deny you jobs for it.  There is a tremendous amount of scenarios where your speech is not immune to repercussions and you would have no legal defense against these repercussions.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

In the greater scheme of things, when you are advocating for white supremacy, for a renewal of the Jewish holocaust, for slavery and people are argueing against you, this is absolutely not akin to a 'Coke vs Pepsi' argument where 'Maybe both sides are entitled to their opinion'.

I disagree.
I disagree because, again, the same could be said of me.
If i were to proselytize (which i wouldn't do because i think it's fucking retarded) or preach publicly about my religious beliefs, there are people who would see it fit for violence to be inflicted upon me and for me to be targeted as in their own minds they would be justified because i would have been "spreading hatred and evil" by talking about free-will and the idea of being your own God.

I don't have the luxury to pretend that i wouldn't be affected.
There are many Satanic groups out there who've done "bad" things (ONA) and some that have done "good" things (Satanic Temple), if i don't treat the nazis as individuals then what am i to expect when the target's on me?
I don't care that John down the street hates black people, believes slavery is a god-given rights, and that Hitler did nothing wrong; i only care if he assaults or has plans to physically harm people. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what you believe. The idea of tolerance goes both ways, and simply because i agree with the same morals of larger society that go against the ideas of ideologies like nazism or communism does not mean i'm not privy to the dangers of hypocrisy and resentment.

If i were to proselytize (which i wouldn't do because i think it's fucking retarded)

...Yet you will constantly bring up satanism and making references that people have to Google just to understand the context... >_>

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Well, no, and this is again where you are failing to understand the limits of your rights.  For example, you can totally be fired in any state of the United States for saying racist things in the workplace.  A restaurant can deny you service for saying those things.  Your photo at a white supremacy rally can get up on Twitter and employers can deny you jobs for it.  There is a tremendous amount of scenarios where your speech is not immune to repercussions and you would have no legal defense against these repercussions.

You're misunderstanding; your freedom of speech does not infringe on the rights of others and the rights of an employer do not infringe on yours.
Your employer has the right to hire whomever they want. Yes, a restaurant can refuse service to people.
Your political affiliation is protected in a few states here in the U.S. as well.

I don't know what you're expecting here, none of this tells me that nazis don't also have the same rights. You want to talk about social repercussions for supporting a group that's universally-hated then sure but none of this challenges what i've said.
It's not as if i'm not discriminated against either in the job hiring process or through employment.

23 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

And what of those on the left calling for White Genocide? Don't act like it isn't happening. I can pull up plenty of videos of people who are decidedly left, who are popular, saying those kinds of things.

What about the institutionalization of anti-white racism in schools? Teachers telling students that white people are born racist? What of affirmative action where everyone is discriminated against based on race?

Where do you think these nazi's come from? As far as they might see it, they have no future unless they fight for their right to exist. Although I personally disagree with them on just about everything, they're still people with lives and stories of their own.

The point is, if you're going to ban right wing nazi's fine, but what about the left wing nazi's? (because that is what they are)

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Yet you will constantly bring up satanism and making references that people have to Google just to understand the context... >_>

Well yeah but that's not me proselytizing hahaha

Don't worry lads, i'm not pulling any SNEAKY tricks on you in hopes that you somehow like the two hateful Satanic groups i described (excluding the Satanic Temple) in hopes you somehow agree with them. I'm relatively sure none of you guys are neo-nazis. Pretty sure at least.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Where do you think these nazi's come from

The attack on Charlottesville recently.

Resentment builds, thus pushing more regular people to nazism and white supremacy because they feel mistreated and undermined.

The attack on Charlottesville recently.

Resentment builds, thus pushing more regular people to nazism and white supremacy because they feel mistreated and undermined.

That's my point.

Yes, Nazi's are bad, so are communists, and any other extremist ideology. Hate breeds hate. Sadly I don't know what can be done to try and reverse the damage that has been done over the last 20 years.

In before the lock xD

5 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

So when do they remove any NAMBLA sites in their database?

Except those should be removed because they're literally illegal.  Child sex/porn is a crime.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Does anyone else fondly when THIS was how Nazi's were properly dealt with?

120606121335-d-day-01-horizontal-large-g

I remember how Illinois Nazis were dealt with.

hqdefault.jpg

41 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

last i checked Christianity (is) responsible for millions of deaths

Catholicism, not Christianity.

(if you want me to clarify, PM me, so I don't spark a religious debate on this thread)

If they wanted to be a moral compass, they probably shouldn't flex their muscle on PR-friendly issues, rather than all of the other stuff they harbor. While white supremacists are a little extreme, I still dislike the censorship part of this story, and all the inaccuracies and fallacies in this thread.