i7-8700k & Coffee Lake CPUs

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

It doesn't list the GPU on the post, nor are any of the links to the rest of the work present. However, I'm almost certain that game testing was done with either a 1080 or 1080 Ti. Those numbers are too high for a Fury card.

If it's an Nvidia GPU, there is a DX12 gaming problem with Nvidia + Ryzen. There's a larger performance gap between the same Nvidia GPU under DX12 than DX11. So the better trained RAM might simply be working around that issue that's likely on Nvidia's driver more than the performance of the System.

That being said, faster RAM in totality helps both Intel & AMD a lot in Gaming performance.

How can you make that assumption without knowing the game settings or resolution? That makes zero sense.

Nvida tends to scale negatively with DX12, so it would make little sense to intentionally choose DX12 as a benchmark, only to muddy the waters with a competitors GPU, when trying to show performance uplifts with your own platform. 

I just don't understand your reasoning at all, given the exact testing methodology was not released. I can only say it coincides with my findings because I posses both a Ryzen and Kaby system, and Ryzen saw very similar performance uplifts when comparing the multi-rank Samsung IC's at JEDEC, vs the single rank Micron IC's at JEDEC. I dialed in the exact same secondary and tertiary timings too, to make sure it was as close to one another as physically possible.

Intel sees less of a difference in regards to rank interleaving's impact on gaming results, but it's still there (about 3% in my findings, close enough to be margin, if not for the consistency).

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

7 hours ago, MageTank said:

I wish I could afford the platform myself, so that I could test how well it scales with various memory configurations, but I'll see if I can't find someone that has it, and walk them through doing so for the sake of science. Either way, it's looking a little stronger in the IMC department all around compared to smaller Ryzen. This result also needs a little extra work as well. 90% read efficiency, 90% write efficiency, but only 81% copy efficiency, lol. Would prefer to see 95% on both read/write, and 90% on copy if possible. I suppose I am asking for too much out of quad channel though. 

That is a little odd considering it's the same dies as Ryzen, maybe it's all just binning or slight manufacturing maturity.

i7-8700k will be better than Ryzen 7 1700 ?

9 minutes ago, EOZ said:

Definitely in single core, most likely in programs that can use more theads than 4c/8t offers. Actual multitasking, no, not likely.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, EOZ said:

Gaming? Yes. 

Beyond that? Depends. We haven't had a Skylake design with 6 cores in a Ring Bus, so latency is going to be interesting.

20 hours ago, TechyInAZ said:

I'm really curious about the Zen+ core coming soon (i think very late 2018 or 2019), probably not a higher core count but if AMD can get in a better IMC and higher clocks, that'll be really good.

Saw a few weeks ago that they are already producing navi and zen 2 on 7nm as prototypes, or at least they'll have those before 2018 ends, so if all goes well, we could have both in 12 months. The scalability factor of the Ryzen line up could be beneficial for them to iterate faster, as they have less dies to engineer before having actual CPUs ready. (Could be the same for Navi, Where they could only tweak began on 7nm and scale those dies with infinity Fabric). At least it seems zen iteration time-frame is more dependent on 7nm processes being ready.

21 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Saw a few weeks ago that they are already producing navi and zen 2 on 7nm as prototypes, or at least they'll have those before 2018 ends, so if all goes well, we could have both in 12 months. The scalability factor of the Ryzen line up could be beneficial for them to iterate faster, as they have less dies to engineer before having actual CPUs ready. (Could be the same for Navi, Where they could only tweak began on 7nm and scale those dies with infinity Fabric). At least it seems zen iteration time-frame is more dependent on 7nm processes being ready.

Tapeouts for 7nm are "soon", which means the design is finalized but tweaks before full production are still to be done. Navi & Zen2 should both be in 2019, though Zen2 might show up in Q4'18. 

Zen+ is a refinement phase for the current Ryzen/TR/Epyc CPUs. Hopefully tweaked IMC and maybe 200-300 Mhz more in clocks. We'll hear more in a few months.

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Tapeouts for 7nm are "soon", which means the design is finalized but tweaks before full production are still to be done. Navi & Zen2 should both be in 2019, though Zen2 might show up in Q4'18. 

Zen+ is a refinement phase for the current Ryzen/TR/Epyc CPUs. Hopefully tweaked IMC and maybe 200-300 Mhz more in clocks. We'll hear more in a few months.

I thought Navi was going to be 2018? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not likely, the return on investment for Vega would be shocking if they released it that soon. Even if it was a down shift and all Polaris based GPUs are now Vega and used to make up the mid range then Navi is the new top end that's a lot of money to have wasted on Vega for a 6-8 month sale window.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Not likely, the return on investment for Vega would be shocking if they released it that soon. Even if it was a down shift and all Polaris based GPUs are now Vega and used to make up the mid range then Navi is the new top end that's a lot of money to have wasted on Vega for a 6-8 month sale window.

Unless if vega is their base design for Navi sub dies Ala Zen arch

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Vega 11 and Vega 12, which will be the Polaris replacement design. (So, likely 32 CU + cut downs.) Oddly enough, the RX 550 probably just gets a rebrand as it's actually a different "design", but one that's going to be around for a while. (It's like the GTX 1030 in & of the fact that it does everything it needs for at least 3-4 years, so there's little reason to redo the design until you want to drop doing driver updates.)

14 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xeon_bronze

There doesn't seem to be any announcement of a real Xeon D replacement, from what I can find.  There's been Skylake E3s since 2015, and it looks like that's staying for now as the level under "Bronze". At least, that's the information I can find.

@MageTank

It should be noted that most of those results are DX12 with Nvidia high-end GPUs. Most of the benchmarkers had stopped doing that with Ryzen because there's such a huge performance drop off between DX11 and DX12 in comparative situations. (Nvidia's driver team has come up with a brilliant way of exploiting the Sandy Bridge uArch, which doesn't seem to work as well in DX12. And it works a lot worse with Ryzen.) So part of that uplift might be related to that specifically. (Vega 64 vs 1080 Ti on DX12 on Ryzen are going to be very interesting results.) 

The non-scalable Coffee Lake Xeons for the LGA 1151v2 socket will probably be called "Xeon Cooper".

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

The non-scalable Coffee Lake Xeons for the LGA 1151v2 socket will probably be called "Xeon Cooper".

I didn't know they opened a UK fab! :)

I mean honestly, at this point Intel could get a chip that outperforms Ryzen in both core count and performance and I'd still go AMD just to keep competition going.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Tested: identical machine, identical settings, difference in cores only, 5960X on 4.4 GHz.

As follow: 4c, 4c/8t, 6c, 6c/12t, 8c

https://m.imgur.com/a/FSqhW

Taken from another forum, credits goes to Tonči

http://m.bug.hr/forum/topic/ostale-hardverske-teme/cpu-chat-tema/224306?page=319

Edited by Averletum

Just now, Averletum said:

Tested: identical machine, identical settings, difference in cores only, 5960X on 4.4 GHz.

As follows: 4c, 4c/8t, 6c, 6c/6c, 8c

Are you just letting us know you tested or did you forget something? 

53 minutes ago, Averletum said:

As follow: 4c, 4c/8t, 6c, 6c/12t, 8c

https://m.imgur.com/a/FSqhW

Taken from another forum, credits goes to Tonči

http://m.bug.hr/forum/topic/ostale-hardverske-teme/cpu-chat-tema/224306?page=319

The difference between 6 vs 8 cores is kind of surprising, I question his testing methodology. Numerous review sites have the 5960X (8 cores) only 5% ahead of the 6700K (4 cores) in Rise of The Tomb Raider, even considering the 6700K is clocked higher than the 5960X.

Maybe he is testing minimums?

On 8/12/2017 at 2:57 PM, done12many2 said:

Not really.  Real cores are stronger than threads so a 6c/6t would still generally outperform a 4c/8t, but there are times when it will be close. 

Yeah but why buy anything  but an i3 for gaming  if it is basically  a 7700k. They will have the same issue as they had when they created the Pentium g4560

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah but why buy anything  but an i3 for gaming  if it is basically  a 7700k. They will have the same issue as they had when they created the Pentium g4560

We're moving towards higher core counts in games. It might not affect average FPS that much, but it does bolster minimums and frame times, which translate to a better gaming experience for most people more so than having 150FPS averages instead of 140FPS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

We're moving towards higher core counts in games. It might not affect average FPS that much, but it does bolster minimums and frame times, which translate to a better gaming experience for most people more so than having 150FPS averages instead of 140FPS.

Yeah but the 7700k still has really good minimums  and the price increace from an i3 to an i7 is so big that  I highly  doubt  many would buy anything  other than a i3 for a pure gaming rig or even gaming rig with some light work as well. This is all dependant  if they release an i3 with 4c8t which I highly doubt  because they wouldn't want to mess with the sales if i5s and i3s which it absolutely  would.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah but the 7700k still has really good minimums  and the price I create from an i3 to an i7 is so big that  I highly  doubt  many would buy anything  other than a i3 for a pure gaming rig or even gaming rig with some light work as well. This is all dependant  if they release an i3 with 4c8t which I highly doubt  because they wouldn't want to mess with the sales if i5s and i3s which it absolutely  would.

I'd imagine any 4c/8t i3 will either have low base and boost clocks, and be locked, or be in a similar price range as the lower end i5's.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I'd imagine any 4c/8t i3 will either have low base and boost clocks, and be locked, or be in a similar price range as the lower end i5's.

I believe there was a rumor for a k variant for the 8th gen i3s so I'm  not exactly sure. Bottom line is having an i3 with 4c8t is just plain dumb on Intel's part.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I believe there was a rumor for a k variant for the 8th gen i3s so I'm  not exactly sure. Bottom line is having an i3 with 4c8t is just plain dumb on Intel's part.

Not really. Logical processors don't scale quite as well as physical cores. Some members have speculated that the best a 4C/8T i3 could do to a 6C i5, at the same clocks, is match it at some workloads. That's ignoring any additional cache the i5 would have, and any disabled features. And that is best case scenario to them, and that it won't manage that under most scenarios.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

better start saving...

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links