Intel i9 CPU's get the finalized specs announced

The Benjamins
18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Okay, how does setting all of this up properly differ from overclocking besides not having to change the Vcore and the multiplier? I mean, that just seems like one of those "Auto OC" tools all mobo manufacturers have

Asus was the first to do it and others followed.  Running anything outside of specifications would be considered overclocking or underclocking, but this is a bit different in that it's just allowing each core to operate up to its maximum Turbo 2.0 speed and voltage simultaneously.  Intel wants the the core speed to drop in order to try to maintain their joke of a TDP rating, which we all know is worthless information.  

Enabling multi-core enhancement or its equivalent does not change multiplier or voltage settings in any way.  It's still following Intel's programmed VID.

All Asus motherboards have this enabled by default.  The Gigabyte x299 motherboard that I had also had this feature enable by default.  Hell, I had to manually change shit around on that Gigabyte x299 board just to get the 7900x to run slower than 4.5 GHz for some rediculous power virus shit that @MageTank and I were doing.  

All that said, and as @Lays previous mentioned in a more passionate way, "whens the last time you saw an intel chip run at "base" clocks???"

It's a good thing that guys like you and I don't take base clocks too seriously.  Judging by your signature, you're running your 6700k at 4.7 Ghz or 700 MHz higher than your baseclock with average cooling.  I run my 5960x at 4.7 GHz or 1700 MHz higher than baseclock with above average cooling.  Where would we be if we base clocks were even a real talking point?  :D

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Asus was the first to do it and others followed.  Running anything outside of specifications would be considered overclocking or underclocking, but this is a bit different in that it's just allowing each core to operate at it's maximum Turbo 2.0 speed and voltage simultaneously.  Intel wants the the core speed to drop in order to try to maintain their joke of a TDP rating, which we all know is worthless information.  

Enabling multi-core enhancement or its equivalent does not change multiplier or voltage settings in any way.  It's still following Intel's programmed VID.

All Asus motherboards have this enabled by default.  The Gigabyte x299 mother board that I had also had this feature enable by default.  Hell, I had to manually change shit around on that Gigabyte x299 board just to get the 7900x to run slower than 4.5 GHz for some rediculous power virus shit that @MageTank and I were doing. 

In theory, I had this setting on an Ivy Bridge i7-3770S and a cheap MSI Z77-G43 board, it also locked the CPU at a higher frequency while maintaining the Turbo clock speed boosts on fewer cores, though I used it because the CPU had a locked multiplier. It was also called multi-core enhancement IIRC

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

All that said, and as @Lays previous mentioned in a more passionate way, "whens the last time you saw an intel chip run at "base" clocks???"

I never said that it will run at 2.6GHz, that would be retarded :P

I only said that with the "rated" TDP, potential heat & power draw in mind there was no way that the CPU would boost to those values on all cores and 3,5GHz seems like a reasonable speed for 18 cores, which I was fairly accurate about. Can you set it to run at 4,2GHz and boost from then? Sure, same as you can overclock it, provided your power supply, motherboard and cooling can handle it ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

In theory, I had this setting on an Ivy Bridge i7-3770S and a cheap MSI Z77-G43 board, it also locked the CPU at a higher frequency while maintaining the Turbo clock speed boosts on fewer cores, though I used it because the CPU had a locked multiplier. It was also called multi-core enhancement IIRC

I never said that it will run at 2.6GHz, that would be retarded :P

I only said that with the "rated" TDP, potential heat & power draw in mind there was no way that the CPU would boost to those values on all cores and 3,5GHz seems like a reasonable speed for 18 cores, which I was fairly accurate about. Can you set it to run at 4,2GHz and boost from then? Sure, same as you can overclock it, provided your power supply, motherboard and cooling can handle it ^_^

I think we're on the same track bud.  

I sure hope that someone who spends $2000 on a CPU will take the extra steps in ensuring that the rest of their parts (PSU, cooling, MB and so on) are quality as well.  I love when people buy big chips and save money on everything else to later start a thread about their shitty end results.  xD

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I sure hope that someone who spends $2000 on a CPU will take the extra steps in ensuring that the rest of their parts (PSU, cooling, MB and so on) are quality as well.

If you get a 7980XE and you pair it with a $300 board and a sub-1000W PSU. I am sorry that your system died, but you deserved it xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you get a 7980XE and you pair it with a $300 board and a sub-1000W PSU. I am sorry that your system died, but you deserved it xD

It's like shoving a modded and blown 454 into a pacer.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It'll be pretty sweet...for the first 30 seconds it works.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, done12many2 said:

I think we're on the same track bud.  

I sure hope that someone who spends $2000 on a CPU will take the extra steps in ensuring that the rest of their parts (PSU, cooling, MB and so on) are quality as well.  I love when people buy big chips and save money on everything else to later start a thread about their shitty end results.  xD

Is it weird that seeing the price tag, I actually see those CPUs more as toys and not tools? I mean, if you just wanted to get the job done you probably should've gotten a 999$ 16C TR and call it a day :P Though there's no doubt that this CPU will wreck everything thrown at it. Besides gaming obviously as the additional cores do next to nothing when you're already at such core count and the Cache mesh architecture doesn't work well in gaming either seeing as the 7800X is almost equal to an R5 1600X in games :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

insert screaming about x299 has a newer version of AVX 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I'd honestly love to see that. Not going to lie.

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am not sure, but AFAIK, it is enabled by default and it boosts all cores to 4.2GHz under load. @done12many2 had a 7900X so he can tell you more ;)

Had?  What happened?

23 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Had?  What happened?

He returned it and is waiting for the real X299 motherboards to come out, along with the big boy CPU's. He was unable to satiate his appetite for owning the worlds fastest space heater with just that 10 core, and so the 18 core is the only logical solution at this point. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

He returned it and is waiting for the real X299 motherboards to come out, along with the big boy CPU's. He was unable to satiate his appetite for owning the worlds fastest space heater with just that 10 core, and so the 18 core is the only logical solution at this point. 

So go from the 10 core to the water cooled nuclear reactor and plutonium PSU?