Intel i9 CPU's get the finalized specs announced

The Benjamins
4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Base clocks tell us a lot about the boost tables and what sort of clocks to expect when multiple cores are loaded. A CPU with a lower base clock means that for an Intel CPU with the same number of cores and the same loading on the CPU the lower base clock CPU will still be at a lower clock under that load as a CPU with a higher base clock.

Base clocks might seem rather irreverent since your CPU is almost never at that clock but it tells us far more information.

Sorry Leadeater, not really quoting you but every. single. person. in this thread. 

The i9-7980XE has a all-core (18) boost of 3.4GHz. So if it can sustain the boost clock with an IPC and 2c/4t advantage over TR 1950X I'd estimate it'll probably perform ~5-10% better in some well optimised multi-threaded applications for twice the price. 

turbos.png

8 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

The i9-7980XE has a all-core (18) boost of 3.4GHz. So if it can sustain the boost clock with an IPC and 2c/4t advantage over TR 1950X I'd estimate it'll probably perform ~5-10% better in some well optimised multi-threaded applications for twice the price. 

It's like for some strange reason some people don't expect a $2000 CPU to outperform a $1000 CPU ;). 5%-10% is probably on the low side considering most motherboards try and boost CPUs a bit by default, I'm expecting 15% performance difference.

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Technically, it's correct.  44 from the CPU and 24 from the chipset.  However, the chipset lanes are hampered by DMI 3.0, which reduces the actual available bandwidth to x4 (by 4), thereby reducing the effective bandwidth to 48 PCIe lanes.

If intel has not listed the "all-core turbo"  frequencies, than it would be interesting to see how much power the core i9-7980XE will draw. I wonder how the core i9-7960X will stack up against the threadripper 1950X since they both have the same core count. Since that the 7960X has a lower TDP, the temperatures between the two will be different. Since the threadripper 1950X has a higher TDP, I think that it would be most affected by temperature. 

7740x 4 core boost to 4.5 is impressive. 

What's the stock 4 core boost on a 7700k?

10 minutes ago, Grinners said:

7740x 4 core boost to 4.5 is impressive. 

What's the stock 4 core boost on a 7700k?

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

11 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Found this on Anandtech. These are Skylake-X boost tables for those interested.

IMG_0662.PNG.d4390e3b5b9502f4512ce1c8f1b7f8fb.PNG

Well, that's considerably higher than the 2.6GHz base clock :P

7 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Sorry Leadeater, not really quoting you but every. single. person. in this thread. 

turbos.png

The 7960X and the 7980XE will be considerably faster than the 1950X. Let's hope that they are soldered :D

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's like for some strange reason some people don't expect at $2000 CPU to outperform a $1000 CPU ;)

I agree, but it depends :P If you disable turbo boost and the 7980XE runs at 2.6GHz, the 1950X would be faster xD

But we know that it will boost to 3.4GHz so it will be quite a bit faster than the 1950X

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That's assuming it's hard to get these things up to their boost speeds, which won't be hard with any adequate cooler. In which case, the 7980XE's boost clock will allow it to outpace the 1950X by a decent amount.

That's also assuming IF doesn't lose some performance when going cross die.

As it stands, ThreadRipper stands a chance for a few reasons: Price, ECC compatibility, and PCIe lane count.

There is a possibility that higher core parts on Intel's side will see memory bottlenecking in AVX instruction sets, but it's still likely that some lower core offerings will match or outpace TR for 3 reasons: Ryzen's IMC hinders AVX2 performance, TR has 1/2 the resources for AVX, and AVX512, which  can be leveraged to boost AVX2 performance, is only on SLX. AVX is far from uncommon for the target users of Intel's HEDT platform.

As it stands, Threadripper only threatens part of Intel's HEDT market. Intel still walks away with overclocking enthusiasts, single core performance, AVX performance, and those that want/need Thunderbolt.

The last time I completely disabled turbo. Or when not at load.

lol the 7900X runs at 100C, and consumes 350W. 7980XE is the same deal but with an extra 8 cores, you'll need a 1600W PSU and the local fire department on speed dial if you buy one. The 7900X has zero appeal to overclocking enthusiasts because it can't overclock without overheating and downclocking and also setting fire to your $400 motherboard. No one but the very die hardest of die hard fans will justify paying the extra $1000 over TR to get a housefire Intel chip that is 1% faster in CineBench.

My question is, are these high core count chips going to be using DMI or UPI? If they go with UPI I would give them a high five.

7 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

lol the 7900X runs at 100C

Maybe if you OC it on an LGA1151 cooler. Otherwise, any competent person with an IQ higher than that of a dead gold fish can figure out what coolers are good for SLX.

and consumes 350W

So fucking what? It also has the performance to justify it.

The 7900X has zero appeal to overclocking enthusiasts because it can't overclock without overheating and downclocking and also setting fire to your $400 motherboard.

@done12many2

@TahoeDust

You both like overclocking, does the 7900X appeal to you guys? Have your

I like overclocking, it appeals to me.

But then again, we know that hot things get hot, and how to deal with it.

No one but the very die hardest of die hard fans will justify paying the extra $1000 over TR to get a housefire Intel chip that is 1% faster in CineBench.

Or anyone looking for the best performance. TR's main advantages are that it is cheap and that it has 60+4 PCIe lanes. Whereas any SLX i9 has full fat AVX, AVX512, and far,  far better memory overclocking than we can possibly hope to get from the weaker IMC twinset on Threadripper.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

25 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

lol the 7900X runs at 100C, and consumes 350W. 7980XE is the same deal but with an extra 8 cores, you'll need a 1600W PSU and the local fire department on speed dial if you buy one. The 7900X has zero appeal to overclocking enthusiasts because it can't overclock without overheating and downclocking and also setting fire to your $400 motherboard. No one but the very die hardest of die hard fans will justify paying the extra $1000 over TR to get a housefire Intel chip that is 1% faster in CineBench.

Most hardcore overclockers don't do it because it's easy. They do it specifically for the challenge of doing it. They are the people that back in day used to be called the enthusiasts. Think back to SkullTrail. Intel is giving the (what I personally consider) true enthusiast what they have been asking for something they can push as far as they are willing to go. So you are correct these chips and platform aren't for the normal pc fan. However, extreme edition chips have always been aimed at the hardcore enthusiast. A good example would be @done12many2and @Lays

21 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, that's considerably higher than the 2.6GHz base clock :P

The 7960X and the 7980XE will be considerably faster than the 1950X. Let's hope that they are soldered :D

I agree, but it depends :P If you disable turbo boost and the 7980XE runs at 2.6GHz, the 1950X would be faster xD

But we know that it will boost to 3.4GHz so it will be quite a bit faster than the 1950X

keep in mind the 1950x will at least have a all core boost to 3.6

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

keep in mind the 1950x will at least have a all core boost to 3.6

If these are anything like their Xeon counterpart, turbo boost hitting all core at 3.7 shouldn't be a problem if you have the cooling to do so. Albiet at a 200w TDP.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

If these are anything like their Xeon counterpart, turbo boost hitting all core at 3.7 shouldn't be a problem if you have the cooling to do so. Albiet at a 200w TDP.

it is honestly very close between the 1950x and the 7960X and 7980XE. Excited to see these in reviewers hands.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

it is honestly very close between the 1950x and the 7960X and 7980XE. Excited to see these in reviewers hands.

I'm hoping JayzTwoCents will build his big loop that he had in the Caselabs case and try overclocking the snot out of the 7980xe. That or Linus bring out the phase change case and push it as far as they can.

15 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Most hardcore overclockers don't do it because it's easy. They do it specifically for the challenge of doing it. They are the people that back in day used to be called the enthusiasts. Think back to SkullTrail. Intel is giving the (what I personally consider) true enthusiast what they have been asking for something they can push as far as they are willing to go. So you are correct these chips and platform aren't for the normal pc fan. However, extreme edition chips have always been aimed at the hardcore enthusiast. A good example would be @done12many2and @Lays

I just don't know if it's the sensible choice for a manufacturer to sell you a $2000 CPU and expect you to delid it if you want to use it properly.

guys the boards avalible now can't handle the power a 18core would use at 4ghz+

like the 7900x there will be micro throttling, or probably macro  throttling

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

I just don't know if it's the sensible choice for a manufacturer to sell you a $2000 CPU and expect you to delid it if you want to use it properly.

They have expectations for the hardcore enthusiast to do so, as most of them would be delidding anyways, this is aimed towards the same people that delidded pentium4s to push as far as possible with garden hose and homeade water blocks.

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I'm hoping JayzTwoCents will build his big loop that he had in the Caselabs case and try overclocking the snot out of the 7980xe. That or Linus bring out the phase change case and push it as far as they can.

Ya that will be cool, honestly for the mean time I see Jay going to a 1950x setup.

A phase change or water chilled setup would be cool to see.

46 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Isn't it only like a 10% clock difference between TR and 7980XE for all core boost? So even if at stock the Intel is very mildly clocked lower it still has 2 more cores and better per core perf, going to be a white wash tbh unless there is some power or thermal capping that significantly impacts performance.

My super bad napkin math has performance difference between 15% to 35%, but as always bring on reviews!

20 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Send me a 7980XE and I'll gladly put in on my 3x 480mm loop, got a 1650W PSU so I'm sure I can kill the CPU before that dies lol.

Then sell if for the cash if it's still working after.

20 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Ya that will be cool, honestly for the mean time I see Jay going to a 1950x setup.

A phase change or water chilled setup would be cool to see.

Jay already said that he will use the 1950x for his new personal build.

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

They have expectations for the hardcore enthusiast to do so, as most of them would be delidding anyways, this is aimed towards the same people that delidded pentium4s to push as far as possible with garden hose and homeade water blocks.

Oh shit I wana do that, I have like 25 P4s just laying around!!! 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Oh shit I wana do that, I have like 25 P4s just laying around!!! 

You have to make sure to use a sketchy 400 watt power supply that's 15 years old as well then push them till something blows or water leaks onto everything.

Look at the boost clocks for the 2697 v4 https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xeon_e5/e5-2697_v4

Now back to the 7980XE. 

Impressive for a 18 core. Better that the E5 Xeons and the newer Platinum, Gold and Silver line. 3.4GHz on 18 cores is mighty.

Can't wait to get castrated for trying to show Intel in a good light though xD 

>inb4 "muh baseclock"

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III