Intel i9 CPU's get the finalized specs announced

The Benjamins
1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Chips under 10 cores are i7s, not i9s.

Seriously? Where did you find that info? :o

Can't say, but it boils down to: the CPU's were already halfway through their production cycle (the 7980X was already finished when we got the 10 cores launched on the market) and they didn't want to spend the cost of going back to do the solder process. It was a pure marketing decision, as the actual engineers were against not soldering the die. 

We will get a real confirmation once Der8auer inevitably delids one (you'd pretty much have to in order to get any real overclocking out of it), but yeah... It's not looking good for Intel's HEDT platform. You know the sad part? I completely expect Intel to release an X299 refresh with the only difference being soldered dies, and they will use the additional thermal headroom to squeeze a little extra clock speed out of them, and sell it as an entirely new product. This part is only speculation, but I certainly would not put it past them.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Believe it or not, this is actually good news for the i9 lines as I didn't think they were even going to hit a TB 2.0 of higher than 4 GHz.  At 4.2 GHz boost on all cores, the 7980XE is going to be a nasty multi-threading CPU and should crank out a 4300cb to 4400cb without even officially overclocking it.  :D

Just now, MageTank said:

Can't say, but it boils down to: the CPU's were already halfway through their production cycle (the 7980X was already finished when we got the 10 cores launched on the market) and they didn't want to spend the cost of going back to do the solder process. It was a pure marketing decision, as the actual engineers were against not soldering the die. 

We will get a real confirmation once Der8auer inevitably delids one (you'd pretty much have to in order to get any real overclocking out of it), but yeah... It's not looking good for Intel's HEDT platform.

Well, I assume you've got no point in making this up as this is going to confirm or debunk sooner or later, but that's actually good info and seems more than plausible to me ^_^

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

You know the sad part? I completely expect Intel to release an X299 refresh with the only difference being soldered dies, and they will use the additional thermal headroom to squeeze a little extra clock speed out of them, and sell it as an entirely new product. This part is only speculation, but I certainly would not put it past them.

I would not be suprised at all. "Kaby Lake X-X™ " coming soon!

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Believe it or not, this is actually good news for the i9 lines as I didn't think they were even going to hit a TB 2.0 of higher than 4 GHz.  At 4.2 GHz boost on all cores, the 7980XE is going to be a nasty multi-threading CPU and should crank out a 4300cb to 4400cb without even officially overclocking it.  :D

4,2 out-of-the-box boost on all cores you say? I somehow highly doubt that ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Well you generally doubt anything Intel these days, so can't say I'm surprised.

A 7900X will boost all cores to is Turbo Boost 2.0 spec just like any other properly cooled Intel chip.

Whether you don't want it to happen or not, I can't fix that.  

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Not impossible, depends on how good your custom loop is :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

RIP ThreadRIPper. :D 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

RIP ThreadRIPper. :D 

Yeah, people just don't realize that the baseclock is there to simply try to meet TDP expectations.  That chip will never run anywhere near that slow as long as it's cooled.  Just like any other Intel chip to date.  

So does this mean we're in the Corean war? xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

26 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

We lived to the day AMD made a more attractive HEDT platform! yay

So you can get a full 1950x system for the price of the 7980xe alone xD

Yup. Looks like TR has more PCIe lanes, higher base clocks, more cache, and more cores than everything but the top Intel SKU. And waaaaaay cheaper. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

That fucking price.. intel just never learn.. wow.

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This has got me rethinking the whole 7900X thing now.  Those boost clocks indicate that if you can actually cool it, that 7980XE is going to scale beautifully.  

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, people just don't realize that the baseclock is there to simply try to meet TDP expectations.

This, we know that Skylake-X isn't very efficient (it's an enthusiast platform so this isn't the number one priority). If they were clocked higher they would probably have a 220+W TDP. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

12 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Well you generally doubt anything Intel these days, so can't say I'm surprised.

A 7900X will boost all cores to is Turbo Boost 2.0 spec just like any other properly cooled Intel chip.

Whether you don't want it to happen or not, I can't fix that.  

I'm just adding up facts: you yourself best know how hot the 7900X can run and how much power it draws. Now imagine almost double the cores on the same die and the power draw & heat it will produce (yeah, 165W TDP, sure) :P It's just hard for me to say anything good about X299 overall because there's too many "IFs" and too many conditions to be fulfilled to get it to work with good performance, what's more you pay hugely more for little benefit.

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I mean, custom loops are fun and all but not everyone, even those who can easily afford it, want to do those. They require work, some thought put into building them and care in general, it's much easier to snap a Noctua NH-D15 or some good AIO onto a CPU and call it a day...

I know this chip will be good IF you have expensive cooling, IF you have a stupidly expensive board and IF you somehow can live without both of your kidneys and managed to buy one. That's just some of the "ifs" related to X299 and i9s and that performance itself is not a good enough reward to buy it in my opinion. Especially when you pay that much to have the best of the best, and it has so many issues to even be the fastest.

Yeah, the 7960X will probably be faster than the 1950X. But will it be worth the almost 1k $ increase in price (factoring in the mobo and fancy cooling)? You bet it won't.

EDIT: Also, it might be faster but you get fewer PCI lanes, less cache and a huge power hog for that difference along with what I said above.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

So apparently 2 cores cost as much as an entire i7 6700K ...

1700 to 2000 for 2 cores.. k m8

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I mean, custom loops are fun and all but not everyone, even those who can easily afford it, want to do those. They require work, some thought put into building them and care in general, it's much easier to snap a Noctua NH-D15 or some good AIO onto a CPU and call it a day...

I know this chip will be good IF you have expensive cooling, IF you have a stupidly expensive board and IF you somehow can live without both of your kidneys and managed to buy one. That's just some of the "ifs" related to X299 and i9s and that performance itself is not a good enough reward to buy it in my opinion. Especially when you pay that much to have the best of the best, and it has so many issues to even be the fastest.

Yeah, the 7960X will probably be faster than the 1950X. But will it be worth the almost 1k $ increase in price (factoring in the mobo and fancy cooling)? You bet it won't.

What you're saying is true, but keep in mind, these CPUs aren't for the average consumer. They are for enthusiasts who want the best of the best and are willing to spend more money to get it ;)

17 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, I assume you've got no point in making this up as this is going to confirm or debunk sooner or later, but that's actually good info and seems more than plausible to me ^_^

I would not be suprised at all. "Kaby Lake X-X™ " coming soon!

It's possible. Remember, TB2.0 operates at an all-core boost ratio depending on the board. It's labeled under "enhanced turbo" in most motherboard options. As long as you meet the power and thermal requirements (on a custom loop, 4.2ghz should still be feasible) it should work.

As for the solder issue, I genuinely wish I was wrong. In fact, if they did go back and fix it, and I am wrong about it, I'll be ecstatic. I just don't think they will do it, not after they've already manufactured this initial batch. Would be confusing to have some unsoldered versions on the market, while others have soldered chips. Even if they issued a recall and ate the cost, not everyone would send theirs back.

I suppose we will see come September, but I won't be holding my breath for that to change. 

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm just adding up facts: you yourself best know how hot the 7900X can run and how much power it draws. Now imagine almost double the cores on the same die and the power draw & heat it will produce (yeah, 165W TDP, sure) :P It's just hard for me to say anything good about X299 overall because there's too many "IFs" and too many conditions to be fulfilled to get it to work with good performance, what's more you pay hugely more for little benefit.

Bud, if you just take off the x299 blinders and look around, you'll find a lot of 7900X CPUs on OCN running 4.7 GHz and higher at around 1.2v or slightly higher.  A 4.0 GHz overlcock on that same CPU requires right around 1v flat to stabilize the chip.

The 7980XE will be a higher binned chip than the 7900X.  Voltage requirements will be even better proportional to the core count.

I think you and I both know that we're going to be seeing 7980XE CPUs hitting overclocks higher than the 4.2 boost.  I don't think we'll in any way see the same clockspeeds of a 7900X, but it doesn't have to get even close to those clock speeds anyways.  All you need to do then is push the TB 3.0 higher so that you get the same single core performance as the smaller chips.  

40 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

EDIT: Just noticed, why does the 14 core have 200MHz higher base clock than the 12 core part? No idea.

I am guessing they might soldered 14-cores and beyond.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

I'm excited for this, going to attempt direct die watercooling with it, maybe have a shot at setting the CB non-LN2 record for single socket.  I look at being able to delid as a feature,  I don't want to be limited by an IHS- soldered or not.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Bud, if you just take off the x299 blinders and look around, you'll find a lot of 7900X CPUs on OCN running 4.7 GHz and higher at around 1.2v or slightly higher.  A 4.0 GHz overlcock on that same CPU requires right around 1v flat to stabilize the chip.

The 7980XE will be a higher binned chip than the 7900X.  Voltage requirements will be even better proportional to the core count.

I think you and I both know that we're going to be seeing 7980XE CPUs hitting overclocks higher than the 4.2 boost.  I don't think we'll in any way see the same clockspeeds of a 7900X, but it doesn't have to get even close to those clock speeds anyways.   

That just begs the question, can they Linpack MKL their chips? :P

You are the only person masochistic enough to do so, lol. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I think you and I both know that we're going to be seeing 7980XE CPUs hitting overclocks higher than the 4.2 boost.  I don't think we'll in any way see the same clockspeeds of a 7900X, but it doesn't have to get even close to those clock speeds anyways.   

the problem is the vrms, there is so little space, and as you said, it wont use much voltage which is bad as vrms use more power at lower voltages for the same amps, most vrms will be getting super hot under that cpu, and probably using more than 30-40w of power

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

the problem is the vrms, there is so little space, and as you said, it wont use much voltage which is bad as vrms use more power at lower voltages for the same amps, most vrms will be getting super hot under that cpu, and probably using more than 30-40w of power

That's why you put a water block on your VRM's for the big boy chips, lol. I said it when X299 launched, and I'll repeat myself for these larger chips: No longer will air/AIO's be enough for the "enthusiast" platform. You will NEED custom loops to tame these CPU's, and that will include VRM blocks if you intend to seriously push these chips.

You are also gonna have to risk delidding them if you truly want to stand out on clock speeds. Just find me a guy with stones big enough to delid a $2000 chip, he sounds like someone I'd want to party with.