colonel_mortis

How do you use the forum?  

1,135 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pin the nav bar?

• Yes (the pin button is orange)
    • No (the pin button is black)
    • I use both/switch between them
    • I don't know how to pin the nav bar/no idea what you're talking about
  2. 2. How often do you use the orange "Reply to this topic" button at the top of topics?

• On every topic that I reply to
    • Frequently (>50% of topics that you reply to)
    • Sometimes (>10% of topics that you reply to)
    • Very rarely (<10%)
    • Never
  3. 3. What theme do you use?

• Day Theme
    • Night Theme
    • Both
    • You can change the theme?! (Please select this option if it applied, but the theme switcher is in the footer)
  4. 4. What devices/browsers do you use to browse the forum?

• Chrome/Vivaldi/Opera/Any other Chromium derivative on a desktop/laptop
    • Firefox/Any other Firefox fork on a dekstop/laptop
    • Internet Explorer/Edge on a desktop/laptop
    • Safari on a desktop/laptop
    • Chrome/Opera/Stock Browser/any other derivative on Android
    • Firefox on Android
    • Internet Explorer/Edge on a Windows phone/tablet
    • Any browser on iOS
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

On 8/6/2017 at 4:41 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Uhh... thats so old thing already. He's been admin almost since FPC came out.

Ermmm...that doesn't sound right? I'm pretty sure he only recently became an admin...(as in he's now tagged as admin, not a mod). For some reason, I remember seeing him still being tagged as an moderator less than a month ago but to be fair, I've not checked features/bugs for some time so... meh? 

On a side note, he was definitely not admin when FPC came out, infact I'm pretty sure back in June, he was still a mod :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ermmm...that doesn't sound right? I'm pretty sure he only recently became an admin...(as in he's now tagged as admin, not a mod). For some reason, I remember seeing him still being tagged as an moderator less than a month ago but to be fair, I've not checked features/bugs for some time so... meh? 

On a side note, he was definitely not admin when FPC came out, infact I'm pretty sure back in June, he was still a mod :P 

I was already corrected last page about this. So much happens all the time. Like the fact that Colton and Jon have been promoted to admin instead of just being LMG staff members.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/5/2017 at 10:51 PM, Orangeator said:

I don't understand people who don't use night theme. Haha.

Well, you see, I always have important work to do. But I hate doing it. So, I do things like browse forums late at night instead of working. So, if I leave it on daytime mode, it'll tire my eyes faster, making me get tired and sleep faster, reducing the amount of screwing around that happens. 

Always overthink the small things in life :)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Why do Night Theme users feel the need to come off as entitled douchbags? 

Like i get it, youre the vegans of LTT, i have no issues with your lifestyle choices just stop shoving it down peoples throats/feeds

xD

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

Like i get it, youre the vegas of LTT, i have no issues with your lifestyle choices just stop shoving it down peoples throats/feeds

xD

We do? I generally ask people to fix it, or fix it myself (quote them and format the text properly), but I don't do it in an entitled way. At least I hope it doesn't come across as that....

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I always use the pin and I used the reply button half of the time but if it was to go I still know where to reply.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

We do? I generally ask people to fix it, or fix it myself (quote them and format the text properly), but I don't do it in an entitled way. At least I hope it doesn't come across as that....

i guess ive only come across the douchey ones so far... :/

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Make night theme the default and/or automagically remove formatting from pasted text with the option to retain formatting via a popup instead of the reverse.  Easier said than done I'm sure, but those are my "suggestions".  Beyond that there has been 2 or 3 times I've lamented the lack of a means to insert audio media into posts with an embedded player.

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Make night theme the default and/or automagically remove formatting from pasted text with the option to retain formatting via a popup instead of the reverse.  Easier said than done I'm sure, but those are my "suggestions".  Beyond that there has been 2 or 3 times I've lamented the lack of a means to insert audio media into posts with an embedded player.

At the very least, pasted text could be set to automatic color.  It doesn't have to strip the formatting, just the text color.

17 hours ago, JDE said:

It's not pinning posts it's pinning the bar at the top.

what bar? there is a bar?

2 hours ago, Redicat said:

I'm under 21, so IDK. Maybe it only unlocks when you reach that age?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

17 hours ago, mok said:

Like i get it, youre the vegans of LTT, i have no issues with your lifestyle choices just stop shoving it down peoples throats/feeds

xD

It mainly about text formatting which got worse after some update made about year ago. Isn't really big issue, but its also so easy thing to remove formatting when someone paste's something. Its supposed to work other way around also. But since Night theme users know the importance of removing formatting, they do it regularly. Plus, since Day is default, it doesn't seem that big of issue for most people.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

My work laptop died and I'm using the office machine, so I don't want to mess around with it. :D

Unpin the orange button (should turn black), then scroll down. You'll notice that when it's not pinned, the "Nav Bar" across the top will disappear as you scroll down.

When it's pinned, the Nav Bar stays at the top of the screen.

I use the nav bar literally every time I use the site, so I'm glad it's pinned.

17 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Maybe not you, but there are definitely a lot of very "vocal" night theme users who think people who use the Day Theme are idiots, or will post silly "night theme master race" stuff (Sure a joke now and then is funny, but the horse is quite dead by now).

Little things like that.

13 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

I agree that removing colour formatting would be ideal.

I would very much not like Night Theme to be the default, however. I like using the Day Theme. Nothing wrong with the Night Theme, just not my thing.

3 hours ago, Redicat said:

"Community" "Forums" "Community Standards" "Store" "More" <- That's the bar. It's the Nav Bar across the top of the site.

Pinned = bar stays on screen when you scroll down

Unpinned = bar disappears after you scroll down

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I would very much not like Night Theme to be the default, however. I like using the Day Theme. Nothing wrong with the Night Theme, just not my thing.

Why?  56% of participants are night theme users, 37% day theme, and 7'ish % swing both ways.  Not including the blissfully unaware.

No one is saying you can't choose the "I need cataract surgery, but am sacred" day theme option.  Just go to the bottom and select it; not suggesting you no can has what you wants.  I'd personally prefer to not be assaulted in the eyes by day theme defaults when cookies are cleared and visiting from new devices.

23 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Why?  56% of participants are night theme users, 37% day theme, and 7'ish % swing both ways.  Not including the blissfully unaware.

No one is saying you can't choose the "I need cataract surgery, but am sacred" day theme option.  Just go to the bottom and select it; not suggesting you no can has what you wants.  I'd personally prefer to not be assaulted in the eyes by day theme defaults when cookies are cleared and visiting from new devices.

Where did you calculate these figures?

As of right now, 27% use Day Theme actively, and 25% didn't know you could change or didn't care enough to look for a different theme. That's more than 50% of surveyed users.

You could make a guess about how many of those 25% of users that didn't know you could change will remain with Day or change to Night, but that's speculation. To ignore these users would be to artificially inflate the level of adoption that Night Theme has.

Your argument for using Night Theme as default could also be used by those who use the Night Theme.

And furthermore, your comments about the Day Theme further reinforce the negative connotation that many Night Theme users are giving off.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As of right now, 27% use Day Theme actively, and 25% didn't know you could change or didn't care enough to look for a different theme. That's more than 50% of surveyed users.

Assuming the unaware would choose day is equally invalid as assuming they would choose night.  Really, that portion of the vote should be discounted, since they will probably break up about the same as the people who did vote so far.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

25 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Really?  Okay..

4vHXcei.png

291+440+53 = 784

291/784 = 37%

440/784 = 56%

53/784 = 6.8%

Not including the blissfully unaware, as in NOT including.

You could make a guess about how many of those 25% of users that didn't know you could change will remain with Day or change to Night, but that's speculation. To ignore these users would be to artificially inflate the level of adoption that Night Theme has.

Your argument for using Night Theme as default could also be used by those who use the Night Theme.

You're assuming that an entire group is a subset of the day theme, while at the same time suggesting that I'm ignoring them... Fine, but at least I'm not putting words in their mouth and insinuating that they're in the closet night themers

And furthermore, your comments about the Day Theme further reinforce the negative connotation that many Night Theme users are giving off.

3-people-unfriended-you-good-16715302.pn

Look I get that you don't like night theme, but that no reason to make it difficult for other less frequent members to experience it and try new things.  Plus its a health issue.  bright blue lights in your eyes at night and all that jazz.  I'd like to believe that LMG cares about their communities health and welfare when its soo easy and trivial a thing to do.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

Really?  Okay..

291+440+53 = 784

291/784 = 37%

440/784 = 56%

53/784 = 6.8%

Not including the blissfully unaware, as in NOT including.

You're assuming that an entire group is a subset of the day theme, while at the same time suggesting that I'm ignoring them... Fine, but at least I'm not putting words in their mouth and insinuating that they're in the closet night themers

-snip-

Look I get that you don't like night theme, but that no reason to make it difficult for other less frequent members experience it and try new things.  Plus its a health issue.  bright blue lights in your eyes at night and all that jazz.  I'd like to believe that LMG cares about their communities health and welfare when its soo easy and trivial a thing to do.

My point is that while some of those 25% who use Day Theme because they didn't know how to change it, might have switched to Night Theme (we can definitely assume it's a non-zero number), we have no way of knowing how many of them would actually do so.

Should we assume a 50/50 split? We could. But that's no more or less valid than assuming they all would switch (or that none of them would). It's a guess.

I'm not assuming that the 25% are Day Theme users - they are. What I'm also not doing, is assuming what their preference is, now that they are aware of the Night Theme.

I would suggest a poll a week or so later might provide better insight. You might see more people that have switched to Night Theme. But there's also confirmation bias to look at. How many people will respond to this survey (or any survey)? What cross section of the community is that? We could assume it's a perfect cross section but I have no facts to confirm or deny that.

I do think it should be easier to switch to the Night Theme - on that, we agree about. It should be an easily visible and easy to find setting. You should also get an option to switch to the non-default Night Theme during account creation.

But I do not hate the Night theme - I just don't want to use it.

Saying Day Theme is a health issue is misleading at best. There are some reports about Blue Light usage, but any health issues should be corrected at their source: The monitor, or via the Operating System/video driver.

I would suggest a poll a week or so later might provide better insight. You might see more people that have switched to Night Theme. But there's also confirmation bias to look at. How many people will respond to this survey (or any survey)? What cross section of the community is that? We could assume it's a perfect cross section but I have no facts to confirm or deny that.

Or a night theme appreciation month, where the default is night and then see what people like?  this is a tech forum where tech lovers frequent.  Paying homage to our scenes quarks can be kewl in a not quite 4chan sort of a way.  Some people waste their time fighting over red v green, dem v rep, or whatever.  Others know the true battle is in blinding false light v sweet embracing darkness.

Saying Day Theme is a health issue is misleading at best. There are some reports about Blue Light usage, but any health issues should be corrected at their source: The monitor, or via the Operating System/video driver.

Yea, I wasn't being entirely genuine there.  Did forget the /s.  But day theme does fricking hurt dude. 

All that aside the real issue is pasted text and colour formatting.  Day V knight fighting only comes up because of that.(having to scroll all the way to the bottom to switch is a pain, but a minor one)

20 hours ago, mok said:

xD

I always feel like a douche when I ask people to format text so we can actually read it. Recently if it's a small portion of the text I dont say anything but today I saw one that was more than a page long by a first time poster. I tried to make it sound as nice as possible but I still felt like a dick. :(

ERIMEAN NO YOU LISTEN TO ME I AM A NIGHT THEME USER WE ARE THE BEST F*** YOU, YOU'RE KILLING MONITOR LCD'S EVERYWHERE WITH YOUR OVER BRIGHT DISPLAYS, THEY HAVE FEELINGS TOO YOU KNOW

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I always feel like a douche when I ask people to format text so we can actually read it. Recently if it's a small portion of the text I dont say anything but today I saw one that was more than a page long by a first time poster. I tried to make it sound as nice as possible but I still felt like a dick. :(

ERIMEAN NO YOU LISTEN TO ME I AM A NIGHT THEME USER WE ARE THE BEST F*** YOU, YOU'RE KILLING MONITOR LCD'S EVERYWHERE WITH YOUR OVER BRIGHT DISPLAYS, THEY HAVE FEELINGS TOO YOU KNOW

Asking someone to fix the formatting does not make you a douche.

When 15 people in a row ask, it gets a bit tiring though :P

Generally if the OP refuses (or can't figure out how) to fix it, reporting the post to the Mods will allow them to fix the issue for us.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Asking someone to fix the formatting does not make you a douche.

When 15 people in a row ask, it gets a bit tiring though :P

Generally if the OP refuses (or can't figure out how) to fix it, reporting the post to the Mods will allow them to fix the issue for us.

I'll go out of my way to circle the text color button and include the photo in my comment

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I'll go out of my way to circle the text color button and include the photo in my comment

Sometimes that's what it takes - a lot of people don't know about the more advanced (if you can call it that) features of the forum, or the post editor.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Unpin the orange button (should turn black), then scroll down. You'll notice that when it's not pinned, the "Nav Bar" across the top will disappear as you scroll down.

When it's pinned, the Nav Bar stays at the top of the screen.

I did both and they don't stay on the top of the screen, when scrolling up.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I did both and they don't stay on the top of the screen, when scrolling up.

What browser and OS are you running?