colonel_mortis

How do you use the forum?  

1,135 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pin the nav bar?

• Yes (the pin button is orange)
    • No (the pin button is black)
    • I use both/switch between them
    • I don't know how to pin the nav bar/no idea what you're talking about
  2. 2. How often do you use the orange "Reply to this topic" button at the top of topics?

• On every topic that I reply to
    • Frequently (>50% of topics that you reply to)
    • Sometimes (>10% of topics that you reply to)
    • Very rarely (<10%)
    • Never
  3. 3. What theme do you use?

• Day Theme
    • Night Theme
    • Both
    • You can change the theme?! (Please select this option if it applied, but the theme switcher is in the footer)
  4. 4. What devices/browsers do you use to browse the forum?

• Chrome/Vivaldi/Opera/Any other Chromium derivative on a desktop/laptop
    • Firefox/Any other Firefox fork on a dekstop/laptop
    • Internet Explorer/Edge on a desktop/laptop
    • Safari on a desktop/laptop
    • Chrome/Opera/Stock Browser/any other derivative on Android
    • Firefox on Android
    • Internet Explorer/Edge on a Windows phone/tablet
    • Any browser on iOS
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Some updates are going to be released to the forum in a few weeks, and to help me make the finishing touches I would appreciate it if you could answer a few questions about how you use the forum.

If you have any suggestions of ways to improve the look and feel of the site, feel free to leave them here. However, please don't post bug reports here - please instead make a topic in Bugs and Issues so that they can get the attention that they need.

HTTP/2 203

been here for years and never knew what that pin in the corner was for, and never bothered to click on it

EDIT: after clicking it on and off a few times, i still have no idea what it does

EDIT2: people keep quoting me to tell me what it does, so to save you all the time,

If the pin is orange and you scroll down, the nav bar will stay at the top of the screen. If the pin is black, the nav bar will not stay at the top of the screen.

thanks guys

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I honestly never noticed the "reply to this topic" button.

Just now, Damascus said:

Didn't know #2 existed and I've been here for months w/5k posts o.O

i thought that pin colonel mentioned on the top navigation bar was a static logo until now.

Details separate people.

11 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

i thought that pin colonel mentioned on the top navigation bar was a static logo until now.

12 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

been here for years and never knew what that pin in the corner was for, and never bothered to click on it

edit: after clicking it on and off a few times, i still have no idea what it does

What pin?

I can't find it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

What pin?

I can't find it.

scroll to the very top of any page. its in the top left corner right below the linus tech tips logo

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Dayum a lot of night theme users #NightThemeSquadAssemble

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

well NOW i pin the nav bar!  Actually it was already pinned but I didn't know it :$  I like it pinned for sure though

I've maybe used the "reply to this topic" button twice in my time here

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Unsure if I'm blind or stupid (or both), but I can't tell what pinning and unpinning navigation actually does. Pinned and unpinned it while navigating around a bit, and I couldn't spot a difference... Halp!

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Night theme is winning :D

Yeah a disable notifications for a status update button would be nice, usually they contain @Ryan_Vickers and he's usually pretty good at keeping it from having 200 replies by locking it after a while :P

27 minutes ago, charrst said:

I figured it out! If the pin is orange and you scroll down, the nav bar will stay at the top of the screen. If the pin is black, the nav bar will not stay at the top of the screen.

Ahh. I didn't scroll down when testing. Thanks!

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

52 minutes ago, charrst said:

I figured it out! If the pin is orange and you scroll down, the nav bar will stay at the top of the screen. If the pin is black, the nav bar will not stay at the top of the screen.

holy crap thank you!!

now that i know what it does, i guess ill just leave it pinned. ive never used the nav bar to navigate xD

|Specs in profile|

Wow. I had no idea that there was a pin there, but cool I guess. Not sure I'd ever change it from what the default is though.

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

Don't worry, neither had I. Now I have more of an understanding about people that reply to posts without seeing the follow ups, which can sometimes contain important information.

11 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I don't understand people who don't use night theme. Haha.

Night theme is hard on my eyes. I find the Day theme a lot better.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I never even paid attention to the 'Pin'.  I noticed it on occasion - when it would change status when I moused over it - but I basically just ignored it.  I selected yes for 1, but only because that was how it defaulted.  At least, I'm pretty sure it was the default setting.  Either that, or I accidentally clicked on it once.

*EDIT*
In retrospect, it is useful to have it pinned.  Even knowing the option is there, I think I'll leave it as-is.

As for 'Reply to this topic', I've always scrolled to the bottom and replied there (after reading the thread, as I wish some people would do).  I never even realized that button existed.

Kinda like night theme better, gonna give it a whirl for a few days. Had no idea it existed.

Night theme.

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

I knew it because I've been here for 1.5 years :P

only about 4300 posts in total though

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wow. I had no idea that there was a pin there, but cool I guess. Not sure I'd ever change it from what the default is though.

Don't worry, neither had I. Now I have more of an understanding about people that reply to posts without seeing the follow ups, which can sometimes contain important information.

Night theme is hard on my eyes. I find the Day theme a lot better.

Lol, light theme burns my eyes. 

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I've maybe used the "reply to this topic" button twice in my time here

I've literally NEVER used it in the almost 4 years I've been here. o.O

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

so 

rip "Reply to this topic" button?

you shall not be missed?