AMD RX Vega x2 Allegedly In The Works By Asus, To Be Liquid Cooled

Mr_Troll
1 minute ago, Centurius said:

No, it's a perfectly solid reason not do it. People are going to be buying those games anyway, For the companies it just means fewer expenses with the same revenue. Their job isn't to push technologies. They're not going to intentionally break multi GPU scenarios but they are also definitely not going to go out of their way to fix issues that don't appear in single gpu scenarios.

It is there job to follow the standards so things won't break, there is no excuse for that. Getting no performance gain at all from SLI/Crossfire is fine if the devs don't want to support it, doing something that breaks it without intent almost always means they are doing something wrong.

It's pretty simple how things work though, the more developers want and use something the better the tools for it get and the less time is required to do it. That's how game engines evolve and get better, that's how new APIs get supported over time through constant iteration and improvement. You're giving the same reasons for why a number of game developers took so long to move on from DX9, and sure time constraints and lack of skills or tool sets can be a valid reason but to say their job isn't to push technologies is just not true.

All the big AAA studios demand certain features from GPU manufacturers and from API developers and they are all in constant competition to put out the best product, game engine developers are doing the same things but on a more technical level. You can't say it's not their job to push technologies when it's literally on there marketing material and touted in their technical demos.

On a consumer level good multi-gpu support is actually very good for you, if you can add in another card later to increase your performance and at much lower cost than full replacement and potentially get better performance than the full replacement that is good. If it gets to the level of what DX12 explicit multi-gpu is showing off then the cards themselves don't have to be the same or even from the same brand which is even better, this has already been shown off in a few games.

I'm not really sure why people are fighting for diminishing returns and value for GPUs, when cost doesn't scale with performance that's not good.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

only 600W? What is this pleb shit? :D 

TBH I don't really give a single fuck if my system draws 500W, 1000W or 2000W as long as it does what I need it to do and I don't see why people are making such a big fuss about it. Ofc if the cooling is bad I can understand the fuss, but this is water cooled so it is probably okay.

Yeah why I would care is because if it draws that much power chances are alot of that is also transferred to heat. I don't know about you but I don't want a high grade space heater next to me while I'm trying to game. And also it requires changing psu for alot of people.

AMD just said that they are scaling back their crossfire efforts.

So isn't this the worst possible timing for Asus ??

this only works if AMD has a team of people working pro-actively with devs and creating crossfire driver profiles for AAA games.

The other option is multi-GPU support using new gen APIs. But what we have seen is that even devs who implement vulkan/dx12 mostly don't bother with this feature because they see it as catering to only 0.5% of players.

I so want to see this in an mITX build. Though last time I looked SFX-L PSUs only go up to 700W, so it would need a case that could take an ATX one, probably quite a long one.

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The Veyron and its successor actually have a point-to be the fastest production cars in the world and to stay the fastest.

and the point of that is?

you cant even really max out the veyron on a racetrack, you drain the fuel tank in 12 minutes, and a bigger tank wouldnt have purpose because by that time you need to replace the tires as well.

there's no point in having the world's fastest production car if you cant step on it anywhere, its point is to make a point.

Well I for one am very interested in this product, I'm also happy that a lot of other people are not, as I will make my acquisition more likely ?

Id like to think this will work as good as a single GPU vega for games don't support dual gpu's. 

600watts??? Is that the max? I have a corsair 1500watt psu so I think I'm ok for powerdraw

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah why I would care is because if it draws that much power chances are alot of that is also transferred to heat. I don't know about you but I don't want a high grade space heater next to me while I'm trying to game. And also it requires changing psu for alot of people.

heat in my room is easy to deal with, so I don't even think about that.

I don't think it requires changing the PSU for the people that actually want it, since they probably already have a 1000-1600W PSU, this GPU is probably not something your single 1080ti guy would even look at, but rather something a 295x2 guy would look at.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I won't be suprised if it required like 4 or 5 8-pin connectors.

Actually, no, 2 8-pins might be enough if the Vega Nano will be a thing.

It's actually not that crazy if a Nano will exist O_o

The PCB design would actually be not THAT hard to do because you don't need to worry about a bunch of GDDR5 modules.

3 x 8 pins is 580 something W.....

each 8pin is capable of pushing 296w at their theoretical maximum.... (before the current will start overwhelming the wires)

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I don't think it requires changing the PSU for the people that actually want it, since they probably already have a 1000-1600W PSU, this GPU is probably not something your single 1080ti guy would even look at, but rather something a 295x2 guy would look at.

if it is going to look like the shit in OPs post, then i aint even going to look at it. Ill just buy a 1180Ti or something similar.

26 minutes ago, Prysin said:

3 x 8 pins is 580 something W.....

each 8pin is capable of pushing 296w at their theoretical maximum.... (before the current will start overwhelming the wires)

Yeah, in theory, but that's waaay out of spec and i wouldn't be surprised if that burns CPU cables that are correct.

an 8-pin is capable (according to spec) of 150W, we know RX vega 64 eats probably 250-300W. So 2 8-pins are required per gpu.

So 4 isn't that crazy and is 600W. That's not that bad for a high-end dual-gpu card.

But then again Vega Nano might be a thing and the r9 295x2 is also a thing and only has 2 8-pins.

I guess time will tell if this is really a thing but power wise it's perfectly possible. Also size wise it's perfectly possible because HBM2.

Also, pro duo is a thing so taking that as a template and adapting that to dual RX vega shouldn't be too hard.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

if it is going to look like the shit in OPs post, then i aint even going to look at it. Ill just buy a 1180Ti or something similar.

the design is defiantly not the best

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

Asus ends up releasing a 16 gauge PSU just for the card.

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah, in theory, but that's waaay out of spec and i wouldn't be surprised if that burns CPU cables that are correct.

an 8-pin is capable (according to spec) of 150W, we know RX vega 64 eats probably 250-300W. So 2 8-pins are required per gpu.

So 4 isn't that crazy and is 600W. That's not that bad for a high-end dual-gpu card.

But then again Vega Nano might be a thing and the r9 295x2 is also a thing and only has 2 8-pins.

I guess time will tell if this is really a thing but power wise it's perfectly possible. Also size wise it's perfectly possible because HBM2.

Also, pro duo is a thing so taking that as a template and adapting that to dual RX vega shouldn't be too hard.

Spec has nothing to do with safety. Spec is there to ensure nobody cuts corners or use dangerous setups that is "unsuitable" for commercial use.

This is why the 295x2 is NOT ATX spec certified, and also why the 295x2 has two red stickers over the power connectors saying "READ MANUAL BEFORE USE".... and the manual specifically states the requirements for this PSU, aka the power-supply must be able to supply 28 amps per 12v rail/connector, if not there is danger of malfunction/damage to the GPU (power starvation is not a good thing, causes surges which causes damaging leakage)

Spec is not a "law". It is not even a "safety limit". It is there to ensure everyone plays by the book and doesn't deliberately push the limits on each product they make. OF COURSE you don't allow manufacturers to run the maximum ENGINEERING LIMIT (that is what it is, material limit, which is a hard limit based on certain operating temperatures). They would abuse the fuck out of it and eventually cut corners to badly that they'd make dangerous products.

Now, unlike most of you here, i have a 295x2, and i have overclocked it, and i know that it is hard-locked to 30w from the PCIe socket, it simply isn't allowed to pull more then 30w from the PCIe, you need custom BIOS to circumvent that, so the 2x8pins takes ALL the brunt force. I've OC'd my 295x2 to nearly 600w power draw, and the cables STILL doesn't reach their 70c operating temp limit, despite hitting peaks of 36amps as the GPU(s) ramps up and down.in fact, the 295x2 hits its 75c core temp thermal limit BEFORE the cables can be overloaded (temp limit for 295x2 is hard locked in BIOS, need custom bios to surpass 75c).

Despite all this, the 295x2, ridiculous as it may be, is SAFE to operate within the confines of the user manual. If you don't read the user manual when the manufacturer specifically tells you to do so, you are failing to comply with the most basic of expected consumer behavior and you can only blame yourself for things breaking (most likely your PSU).

Now, how much does a 295x2 ACTUALLY draw? stock? around 400w under load...with short spikes up to 430w. Mind you, we are talking 2x 290X running at a slight overclock, so this isn't exactly "power efficient" cores (although they are incredibly highly binned).

Also, the ATX spec for PSUs removed the "max 20amps per rail" limitation in MARCH 2007, a good 7 years before the 295x2 was even released.

Preferrably we should start using EPS12v cables for GPUs (CPU-8pin) as they use 4x 12v+ and 4x ground, and is rated for 28amps (336w) according to Molex (connector/pin manufacturer) and ATX spec. Thus there would be nothing to argue about.

18 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Asus ends up releasing a 16 gauge PSU just for the card.

18 gauge is plenty for even a heavy GPU...

18 Gauge = 4.82mm2 which is closer to 26-28 amps/wire... now we need a modifier because there is 3x+12v wires, so multiply 26 by 0.8 and you get the actual current possible to run through EACH wire... now multiply that by 3, and you get the actual current capacity of the 18 gauge 8pin

Awesome, waited to see when it will be reveled. Still lower than two liquid ones of 700W together. 

Neat though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

How to properly enjoy this wccftech article:

Spoiler

Salt Trucksalt truck inadvertently dumped a couple of hundred pounds ofStates seeking someone to pass the salt – The Daily Reporter – WI ...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I would bet alot more people would look at it if the power consumption wasn't so outrageous. Also I have my desktop in a small room so if I have a power hungry card the room heats up quite fast.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would bet alot more people would look at it if the power consumption wasn't so outrageous. Also I have my desktop in a small room so if I have a power hungry card the room heats up quite fast.

well then we are two with small rooms, my room is like 7.5-8m^2, but it is easy for me to get rid of the heat. I am willing to bet the people that actually want such a card doesn't care much about power consumption or if it puts out a lot of heat. If I had the money and the design was better than I would probably buy it :D 

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well then we are two with small rooms, my room is like 7.5-8m^2, but it is easy for me to get rid of the heat. I am willing to bet the people that actually want such a card doesn't care much about power consumption or if it puts out a lot of heat. If I had the money and the design was better than I would probably buy it :D 

Like I said more people would be interested if it didn't produce so much heat. Saying that people who are interested in the card won't care about the power consumption is kinda a given otherwise they wouldn't be interested because the power consumption is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Like I said more people would be interested if it didn't produce so much heat. Saying that people who are interested in the card won't care about the power consumption is kinda a given otherwise they wouldn't be interested because the power consumption is ridiculous. 

well, I was talking in general about the people that go for these types of products.

Ofc this would have been a bit more attractive if this card was 500W

Just now, Dackzy said:

well, I was talking in general about the people that go for these types of products.

Ofc this would have been a bit more attractive if this card was 500W

As someone who would go for super high end gpus I would say power consumption is still a big deal. If I can get the same performance with less heat then I will. 

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

only 600W? What is this pleb shit? :D 

TBH I don't really give a single fuck if my system draws 500W, 1000W or 2000W as long as it does what I need it to do and I don't see why people are making such a big fuss about it. Ofc if the cooling is bad I can understand the fuss, but this is water cooled so it is probably okay.

Up to the point you start to pay for your electricity.... 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

As someone who would go for super high end gpus I would say power consumption is still a big deal. If I can get the same performance with less heat then I will. 

well I would also go for a super high end gpu/gpus, but I don't really give a single fuck about how much power my system needs or if it puts out a lot of heat.

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Up to the point you start to pay for your electricity.... 

pfff solar panels :P 

20 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

pfff solar panels :P 

Up to the point where you have to pay for tg solar panels initially... 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List