Is the evga 650w bq good?

Xxetro

Yes, its safe. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Its a great PSU. I have used it, but returned it for a bit of cash back and replaced it with its 750w brother.

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Yes, its safe. 

The tier list shows it as a tier 4. Is that any bad or good? Or is it only because it's rated 80+ bronze?

1 minute ago, Xxetro said:

The tier list shows it as a tier 4. Is that any bad or good? Or is it only because it's rated 80+ bronze?

The 80+ rating is only a factor of PSU efficiency, not necessarily quality. 

Tier 4 is not a recommended tier, but if you're on a tight budget and you're not doing any serious OC'ing or have a large power draw, then it can be used fairly safely (for example, i'm using the old Corsair CX series on that list). 

You could look at the EVGA B3, or a Corsair CXM series (gray label) both of these are in tier 3 and are very solid units.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The 80+ rating is only a factor of PSU efficiency, not necessarily quality. 

Tier 4 is not a recommended tier, but if you're on a tight budget and you're not doing any serious OC'ing or have a large power draw, then it can be used fairly safely (for example, i'm using the old Corsair CX series on that list). 

You could look at the EVGA B3, or a Corsair CXM series (gray label) both of these are in tier 3 and are very solid units.

If I'm only ocing a ryzen 7 to 3.7 GHz is that considered large ocing. Also how can I check if my build has a large power draw? Sorry for all these questions, new to this stuff.

2 minutes ago, Xxetro said:

If I'm only ocing a ryzen 7 to 3.7 GHz is that considered large ocing. Also how can I check if my build has a large power draw? Sorry for all these questions, new to this stuff.

You can use a PSU wattage calculator to determine what kind of power your system will draw. The biggest factors are CPU and GPU. 

For example, I just punched in a Ryzen 7 1700 and a GTX1070 with an SSD and an HDD and two 120mm fans, the load was at max 370w so a minimum of 420w would be recommended. 650 is well in the safe range for a build along this line.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

11 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You can use a PSU wattage calculator to determine what kind of power your system will draw. The biggest factors are CPU and GPU. 

For example, I just punched in a Ryzen 7 1700 and a GTX1070 with an SSD and an HDD and two 120mm fans, the load was at max 370w so a minimum of 420w would be recommended. 650 is well in the safe range for a build along this line.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Xxetro said:

Is this PSU safe for my parts? Just making sure before I purchase this.

What parts do you have? It would be overkill for a 1050 Ti and G4560 but questionable for an R7 and 1080Ti.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 8/2/2017 at 9:08 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

What parts do you have? It would be overkill for a 1050 Ti and G4560 but questionable for an R7 and 1080Ti.

Sorry for the late reply but I have a 1080 and r7 1700.

24 minutes ago, Xxetro said:

Sorry for the late reply but I have a 1080 and r7 1700.

I'd get a 750B2 or 650GQ. The BQ isn't that great and if you can afford a $300 CPU and $500 GPU you can afford to spend $70 on a PSU.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

According to professional reviews, it's a solid unit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd get a 750B2 or 650GQ. The BQ isn't that great and if you can afford a $300 CPU and $500 GPU you can afford to spend $70 on a PSU.

What makes this PSU bad? I'm not disagreeing just want to know.

6 minutes ago, Xxetro said:

What makes this PSU bad? I'm not disagreeing just want to know.

It performs average and is outclassed by similarly priced EVGA units.

32 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It performs average and is outclassed by similarly priced EVGA units.

By outclassed you mean better efficiency and less power draw? Sorry if I sound ignorant I just want to know more about PSU. Also what do you recommend? 

34 minutes ago, Xxetro said:

By outclassed you mean better efficiency and less power draw? Sorry if I sound ignorant I just want to know more about PSU. Also what do you recommend? 

Outclassed by other EVGA units that perform better, not necessarily relating to efficiency.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hWs8TW/evga-b3-550w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b3-0550-v1

That is a bit better. That said, this is a steal at this price:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

• 2 years later...
On 8/2/2017 at 10:53 AM, TVwazhere said:

hey TVwazhere thanks for this info really helpful, didn’t know PSU could get this (little) complicated.  

So so a good roll of thumb is putting in a safe range of double or half of its max Wattage (output wise)

In my build I’m getting closer to 400 watts right now(pcpickers estimation). 

So is it better to get 850 now for upgrades latter in the future?

MyPC

4 minutes ago, KevinD29 said:

Unless you plan on going dual GPU's in the future, 850W is probably overkill. 

I'd suggest posting your question in this thread, as there's a lot of knowledgeable members there who can help you shop for the best PSU for your system 

20 minutes ago, KevinD29 said:

So so a good roll of thumb is putting in a safe range of double or half of its max Wattage (output wise)

100% nonsense. Get as close to the limit as possible, leaving maybe 100-200W of headroom, unless you have a multi rail unit. Even if you do have a multi rail unit, still save the money and get a smaller unit. Quieter too.

21 minutes ago, KevinD29 said:

No.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Unless you plan on going dual GPU's in the future, 850W is probably overkill. 

I'd suggest posting your question in this thread, as there's a lot of knowledgeable members there who can help you shop for the best PSU for your system 

thanks TVwazhere

10 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

100% nonsense. Get as close to the limit as possible, leaving maybe 100-200W of headroom, unless you have a multi rail unit. Even if you do have a multi rail unit, still save the money and get a smaller unit. Quieter too.

No.

Ok got it 650 is perfectly fine, also got another question why is evga brand for PSU not good? 

Also seen this in my post, is their a reason for the brand dislike or they just don’t make good PSU?

2 hours ago, KevinD29 said:

Ok got it 650 is perfectly fine, also got another question why is evga brand for PSU not good? 

Also seen this in my post, is their a reason for the brand dislike or they just don’t make good PSU?

It's not the brand. It's the model. The BQ has subpar electrical performance and iirc out of spec inrush performance, which can lead to component failure quite quickly.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

It's not the brand. It's the model. The BQ has subpar electrical performance and iirc out of spec inrush performance, which can lead to component failure quite quickly.

Also 40dB idle noise for the BQ.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:39 AM, LienusLateTips said:

eah, that doesn’t sound good, any recommendations of PSU ?(650w)