Ryzen 5 1600 vs i7-7800X: Ryzen 1080p Gaming Issues Explained; 7700k still King

new processor thread, let the shit show begin

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

@Valentyn

Dang. Which tends to do the most damage to the game speed? Or is there no real way to optimize the setup around it? And it's probably still on DX9.0c?

As for Multi-monitor, some of the testing I've seen is upwards of a 30% or more penalty for simply having a second Desktop sitting on another monitor. But it depends a lot of setup & specific card.  That's what I meant.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@Valentyn

Dang. Which tends to do the most damage to the game speed? Or is there no real way to optimize the setup around it? And it's probably still on DX9.0c?

As for Multi-monitor, some of the testing I've seen is upwards of a 30% or more penalty for simply having a second Desktop sitting on another monitor. But it depends a lot of setup & specific card.  That's what I meant.

Game was updated to DX11 a few years ago and fixed so many issues. Since then they've been revamping everything graphics wise; and sadly it seems the engine can't cope.

The lag spikes and slide shows are real for people with "modest" system these days if they so much as try to put graphics setting at high or Ultra.

It'll need Vulkan or DX12 in a proper implementation to help alleviate a CPU bottleneck of these proportions.

I get ya on multi monitor; add in playing in Borderless Window mode and that's more FPS down the drain for many games.

I'm sitting on a Freesync monitor at the moment, so hopefully Vega isn't too disappointing as that'll help a bit.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I'd like for reviewers to benchmark something like dragon nest... I get like 25 fps while in tow but that shoots up to about 67 fps while in a dungeon. Just wanna see how cpu's handle that

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This is just a demo, but he is the only reviewer who is using an AsRock board. So, we don't know if this is just a BIOS bug. He needs to re-test using a different board IMO 

He has tested with AsRock, Gigabyte and Todays video was an Asus.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

He has tested with AsRock, Gigabyte and Todays video was an Asus.

Really? When did he say that? I am pretty sure that he used the AsRock.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

13 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Game was updated to DX11 a few years ago and fixed so many issues. Since then they've been revamping everything graphics wise; and sadly it seems the engine can't cope.

The lag spikes and slide shows are real for people with "modest" system these days if they so much as try to put graphics setting at high or Ultra.

It'll need Vulkan or DX12 in a proper implementation to help alleviate a CPU bottleneck of these proportions.

I get ya on multi monitor; add in playing in Borderless Window mode and that's more FPS down the drain for many games.

I'm sitting on a Freesync monitor at the moment, so hopefully Vega isn't too disappointing as that'll help a bit.

Almost no one does any testing with multiple monitors and I'd be really keen to see it. A lot of people have a 2nd monitor attached, and if it's eating up, say, 50% of your FPS by just having another desktop active, that's pretty important to know. (Driver software matters a lot here, obviously.)

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Really? When did he say that? I am pretty sure that he used the AsRock.

True he did use the AsRock.. In yesterday's unboxing he said he was going to use the ASUS -.- but he did at least validate with the gigabyte board he says so in video 2 on the subject "mesh overclocking"

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Maybe. I'm of the opinion that it's really down to the fact that Intel had sand-bagged so long on any larger changes that Nvidia was able to find ~15-20% more performance with Maxwell/Pascal due to some really clever optimizations of the Intel uArch. Once those no longer work, suddenly there is "regression". It also goes to the issues with Nvidia's DX12 implementation. But there still could be an issue with the Taichi. Wouldn't be the first launch board with odd problems.

what  nvidea done to get extra perf was force dx11's multithreading to be enabled on all games, so they have better utllization of the cpu

I feel slightly less bad about my 7700k.

Although I'm sure that will change in the next few months.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

come back with a 4ghz vs 4ghz difference. else, no fucking shit the i7 will win

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

what  nvidea done to get extra perf was force dx11's multithreading to be enabled on all games, so they have better utllization of the cpu

While the Nvidia driver can spawn up to 6 threads (it can double-spawn this, which is part of why the Ryzen 5 1600(X) is pretty much even with the 8c models), but I think the real thing they're leveraging is some aspect of using the L3 Cache to keep the main thread coherent. It would also explain why gaming responds so well with RAM speed. More so on Intel than even AMD.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I feel slightly less bad about my 7700k.

Although I'm sure that will change in the next few months.

Well it's gonna be fall in a couple of months, with some early northern winds coming down you just might

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well it's gonna be fall in a couple of months, with some early northern winds coming down you just might

Actually the cold would be nice. I f**king hate the heat.

Now if only I had a monitor worthy of this fine system. I could really try and push it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

wow... The R5 1600 is really keeping up... I've assumed the Skylake cpu to be atleast 30% ahead...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Actually the cold would be nice. I f**king hate the heat.

Now if only I had a monitor worthy of this fine system. I could really try and push it.

Those can be expensive mofos indeed I'm debating between what way to go when it comes to monitor upgrade

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It should be noted that the 7700k is still King.

If, of course, you don't mind the occasional 100-150+ms stutter vs the occasional sub 40ms stutter on Ryzen.

As the only FPS I play significant amounts of is TF2, I personally prefer the greater immersion allowed by Ryzen.

The difference in Gears of War 4 performance is perplexing considering how well-optimized it was at launch.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

51 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why would you compare an R5 to an i7? Those are unfair comparisons. 

Not really same number of cores and the i7 has the IPC and frequency advantage to the R5. I would bet if they put the 6800k in the mix it would probably put the 7800x to shame also

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

46 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Not really same number of cores and the i7 has the IPC and frequency advantage to the R5. I would bet if they put the 6800k in the mix it would probably put the 7800x to shame also

It's still a mid-range CPU compared to an enthusiast one. My phone's CPU has the same number of cores.  It's silly to compare it to an i7.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

It's still a mid-range CPU compared to an enthusiast one. My phone's CPU has the same number of cores.  It's silly to compare it to an i7.

Your phone's SoC doesn't even have the same computing power as a desktop or laptop processor. So comparing a 6 core mid range to a 6 core high end is perfectly fine. The on reason that 6 core is considered high end is because Intel said it is.

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why would you compare an R5 to an i7? Those are unfair comparisons. 

As a consumer I want to see all the cpu's compared to each other, then I'll choose the best one based on my needs and budget.   Just becasue a cpu has Hz cap,  name, tier, category or even set number of cores doesn't mean it can't sometimes punch outside of it's "marketed position".  just look at the Pentium with HT.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

As a consumer I want to see all the cpu's compared to each other, then I'll choose the best one based on my needs and budget.   Just becasue a cpu has Hz cap,  name, tier, category or even set number of cores doesn't mean it can't sometimes punch outside of it's "marketed position".  just look at the Pentium with HT.

Even so it's not like we're comparing gpu's that get compared to things in their price range for it to be somewhat fair