Larger reservoir = Better cooling performance

This was just a thought I had in my head but I think this would be an interesting experiment to do who knows? But really, is having a larger reservoir in you loop going to make it preform better? Personally I don't think it will make much of a difference, but still a cool thought. lol

Just now, Emohippster said:

This was just a thought I had in my head but I think this would be an interesting experiment to do who knows? But really, is having a larger reservoir in you loop going to make it preform better? Personally I don't think it will make much of a difference, but still a cool thought. lol

No it won't. People have done it, and the thermo calculations are trivial. But either way the steady state performance will be EXACTLY the same. It just will take longer to get to that point.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

its just going to take longer for the liquid to heat up and cool down, its going to get the same temperatures unless the reservoir is so big it can be considered a radiator of sorts

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Emohippster said:

As said it just increases thermal mass so it takes longer to reach equilibrium, larger or multiple reservoirs are mainly for aesthetics.

Zalman Reserator?

Image result for Zalman Reserator

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I've been kinda curious if deleting the rad entirely and then using an absolutely massive res (like 55 gallon plus) could work.  Doing some calculations it'd take about 25h to start overheating and that's assuming the res is perfectly insulated.

9 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

-snip-

Perhaps in a practical sense it may work? I guess its a question of "how long can you hold off the inevitable". Also depends on the surface area of the "reservoir", because if it ultimately has enough surface area exposed, then it is not too different from a radiator.

If we flip the thought around, a radiator is also a reservoir, just one that has a very high surface area and is optimized for heat transfer

13 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I've been kinda curious if deleting the rad entirely and then using an absolutely massive res (like 55 gallon plus) could work.  Doing some calculations it'd take about 25h to start overheating and that's assuming the res is perfectly insulated.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Perhaps in a practical sense it may work? I guess its a question of "how long can you hold off the inevitable". Also depends on the surface area of the "reservoir", because if it ultimately has enough surface area exposed, then it is not too different from a radiator.

If we flip the thought around, a radiator is also a reservoir, just one that has a very high surface area and is optimized for heat transfer

It certainly works it was done as a proof of concept I remember a while back where the glass of the fish tank acted as a way to dissipate heat into the surrounding air.

7 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I'd love to see that video, but don't just try one big res, first try some smaller ones and also try finding one with some finns 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I have to ask: Why though? I can't really see how this ever would be practical :)

You  can have a reservoir and radiator as large as busty hart's boobs you still won't go lower than the ambient, the only way to do that is to use like phase change or peltiers and then there will be the condensation issue but they will go loser than ambient or with a large reservoir or radiator. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Large reservoir will help if you have a lumpy workload.  It would enable you to get away with having less radiator space, since the mass of water can absorb the heat that exceeds your radiator's capacity for a few hours (dozens of gallons) and then bleed it off over time when the load goes under your radiator's capacity.

Practical considerations: dozens of gallons of water is no joke, it can wreck your house if it fails.  You also need to have anti-growth and anti-particles.  How are you going to fill it?  How are you going to drain it?

I converted a laundry sink to act as a 20-25 gallon reservoir.  It's a very expensive very space-consuming project.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

39 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

You don't watch jayztwocents videos if you want an actual knowledgeable answer.  See my previous reply, that's the correct answer because it's a nuanced question.  Jay's reply: no difference whatsoever.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

32 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You don't watch jayztwocents videos if you want an actual knowledgeable answer.  See my previous reply, that's the correct answer because it's a nuanced question.  Jay's reply: no difference whatsoever.

I love replies like this.  They help us weed out the elitist "I know more than anyone else" people here on the forum.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

30 minutes ago, KWelz said:

I love replies like this.  They help us weed out the elitist "I know more than anyone else" people here on the forum.  

Just don't be too quick to not realize when you are talking to a subject matter expert ;)

I know a lot of SMEs who fall into the exact category I stated and I stand by what I said.  I didn't say you don't know water cooling.  I said you are a know-it-all who think they are the all knowing font of knowledge.  You take the time to make an idiotic comment like you did above and disparage someone who has done a lot to bring water cooling to more people because his answer wasn't nuanced enough for you.   

When it comes down to it, he gave a practical answer.  You gave one that may apply to a small percentage of users.  If you had left it at that then nobody would have thought anything of it.  But you felt the need to make the comment. 

You don't watch jayztwocents videos if you want an actual knowledgeable answer.

Which just shows you are more concerned with denigrating others than actually being productive.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

• 4 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 3:59 PM, Leonard said:

You  can have a reservoir and radiator as large as busty hart's boobs you still won't go lower than the ambient, the only way to do that is to use like phase change or peltiers and then there will be the condensation issue but they will go loser than ambient or with a large reservoir or radiator. 

yes and no, it depends on how far you are willing to go setup wise and its about relativity.

If you are going for a definite fixed location for your PC and are willing to relocate your res and rads in another room and have a long pipe run then you can get the internal loop of the PC running at the temp of the other room so whilst no the loop can't drop below ambient of the cooled side you can get the loop to run below the ambient of the room the rig is in so lower than the ambient of the room you are in, as long as the temp difference isn't huge then condensation won't be an issue and you will get lower temps and noise levels.

To take it a step further you could even use a ground source heat pump loop if you are doing a new build house, if the loop goes down far enough the temps are stable and will be comfortably lower than the living area of your home, with the amount of water in a setup like this you wouldn't need any rads at all and can remotely locate the circulation pump so have a silently cooled PC.

A bit extreme I know but still possible.

19 hours ago, Ben_the_average said:

yes and no, it depends on how far you are willing to go setup wise and its about relativity.

If you are going for a definite fixed location for your PC and are willing to relocate your res and rads in another room and have a long pipe run then you can get the internal loop of the PC running at the temp of the other room so whilst no the loop can't drop below ambient of the cooled side you can get the loop to run below the ambient of the room the rig is in so lower than the ambient of the room you are in, as long as the temp difference isn't huge then condensation won't be an issue and you will get lower temps and noise levels.

To take it a step further you could even use a ground source heat pump loop if you are doing a new build house, if the loop goes down far enough the temps are stable and will be comfortably lower than the living area of your home, with the amount of water in a setup like this you wouldn't need any rads at all and can remotely locate the circulation pump so have a silently cooled PC.

A bit extreme I know but still possible.

You necro'd a 4 year old thread for this as your first post? Ok, so you have half a PC in one room and half in another room, You still aren't going below ambient. The PC cooling is part of the PC, so whatever room it is in is also the basis for the ambient.