Vega FE vs. Fury X Clock-for-Clock: "IPC" Tested

tom_w141

Article: 

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2977-vega-fe-vs-fury-x-at-same-clocks-ipc

Video:

So in conclusion Vega is great if AMD have a time machine and plan to release it in 2015... Seriously though at the same clocks it just about trades blows with the Fury X. It does not take 2-3 years to improve on clock speeds alone. Hopefully RX Vega drivers will improve this. It could also be the Professional/Gamer driver switching nature that the FE tries to exhibit. Jack of all trades, master of none kind of situation perhaps. We will have to wait for RX Vega to be sure but the future looks dim. "Poor Vega" Indeed.

except.. vega doesnt need a watercooler to survive, and the vega comes out the box with higher clocks ;)

Just now, zMeul said:

That's in the OP... Thanks for repeating the OP xD If you are gonna link 3 graphs maybe use spoiler tags as you make the page huge for others. Especially if someone quotes you.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I just saw this: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2977-vega-fe-vs-fury-x-at-same-clocks-ipc

in /r/amd, when the 1st benches appeared there was talk that Vega is actually a regression against Fiji .... guess what:

jeez H Crist, AMD

did you even see the compute and pro workloads?

doesn't bother you how it doesn't really scale with clock speed either? - it bothers me - Why the hell do we see less than 20% performance with +60% clock speed????

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I just saw this: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2977-vega-fe-vs-fury-x-at-same-clocks-ipc

in /r/amd, when the 1st benches appeared there was talk that Vega is actually a regression against Fiji .... guess what:

jeez H Crist, AMD

It's worse in several of the game tests. Especially AOTS (though that's a sort of synthetic).

But... that's also potentially a good thing for the upcoming RX Vega, because it likely represents easily available performance headroom for driver optimizations.

We'll see.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

except.. vega doesnt need a watercooler to survive, and the vega comes out the box with higher clocks ;)

From memory the Fury X came with a 120mm rad/AIO arrangement. I don't think this was entirely a technical choice but a marketing decision to help differentiate between themselves and nvidia at the time. They wanted to give the illusion of a small board, which they later did realise with air and the Nano. If they went for a large heatsink (triple fan) it would have no problems at its TDP.

Also from what I recall of the pcper testing, the air cooled Vega FE failed to turbo up to its rated clock. It is a thermally limited card.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Kinda beside the point. No "IPC" gains over 2 generations ago. Yet nice pro performance. Suggests something is up.

Guys. Stahp. I'm already sold on getting an RX Vega.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Let's hope that drivers can fix Vega's performance

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Guys. Stahp. I'm already sold on getting an RX Vega.

Enjoy your overpriced 1070

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Enjoy your overpriced 1070

Why you bringing in my G1 Gaming 1070, that I bought when everything was going way ass over MSRP, into this? After the cost of shipping, second cheapest 1070 I could find. I enjoy her very much every time I fire up my HTPC.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On the other thread going on right now, RX VEGA seems to be a tiny bit above the 1080; no idea why.

So if AMD prices this well, it will be good; although at this point they would have already forsaken the entire high-end since it's been over a year with the 1080's release and the 1080ti being completely unopposed. Even then, a GPU that's as good as the 1080 for around $399-$450 USD would be so rad

"If you ain't first, you're last"

18 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

So in conclusion Vega is great if AMD have a time machine and plan to release it in 2015...

The only thing this shows is that Vega is not working properly in games.

It's no faster than a Fury X clock for clock.

Two possibilities

(1) Gaming drivers are not ready yet

OR

(2) Vega is a terrible architecture moving IPC backwards. Like the bulldozer of GPUs.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Why you bringing in my G1 Gaming 1070, that I bought when everything was going way ass over MSRP, into this? After the cost of shipping, second cheapest 1070 I could find. I enjoy her very much every time I fire up my HTPC.

I meant that Vega is an overpriced 1070, but nvm just get 2x2080s

GTX2080.png.edfb69b311296a873e57990071c9d191.png

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I meant that Vega is an overpriced 1070, but nvm just get 2x2080s

GTX2080.png.edfb69b311296a873e57990071c9d191.png

tfw when Volta's just around the corner

P O O R
V O L T A G E
though, amirite guise? lmao AMD needs a better marketing team

"If you ain't first, you're last"

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I meant that Vega is an overpriced 1070

The joke.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Wait for the gaming cards. As much as you can be skeptic about magical driver updates, these cards have 25TFlops of raw compute power. Almost 3 times what a Fury X offers. Of course TFlops don't automatically mean more gaming performance but there's definitely a chance these can be optimized to perform a LOT better in games than the FE does. Let's just wait and see, it can't hurt to wait for the actual gaming release before making a blanket judgement on the whole architecture.

-edit-

actually it's 25tflop in fp16, the more relevant figure is 13tflop in fp32 - still more than a fury x by a good margin, but not 3 times as much.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

As much as you can be skeptic about magical driver updates, these cards have 25TFlops of raw compute power.

Nope, 25 FP16 TFLOPs, which don't really matter for gaming ;) FP32 is more important for gaming

4 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

From what I remember, Pascal is slower than Maxwell clock for clock with a node shrink.

From everything AMD has told us Vega is a radical overhaul of GCN and a much more efficient architecture with better IPC.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11002/the-amd-vega-gpu-architecture-teaser/2

So if it is losing or barely matching a Fury X clock for clock then either

(1) Gaming drivers are not optimized yet

OR

(2) The new innovations which AMD tried didn't work out and backfired badly (like Bulldozer)

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

From everything AMD has told us Vega is a radical overhaul of GCN and a much more efficient architecture with better IPC.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11002/the-amd-vega-gpu-architecture-teaser/2

So if it is losing or barely matching a Fury X clock for clock then either

(1) Gaming drivers are not optimized yet

OR

(2) The new innovations which AMD tried didn't work out and backfired badly (like Bulldozer)

I would lean towards #2. Was already worried because they were taking so long to launch Vega. Now that it's here and we've had a taste, I don't believe it will deliver. Too little too late, IMO. 

When RX Vega launches and sits between the 1080 and 1080Ti with a competitive price, I will stand corrected. But with the terrible power efficiency, AMD has already lost this round, in my eyes. :( 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

But the terrible power efficiency

If I traded systems with @done12many2, slapped in 4 top TDP VEGA's, OC'd them to max, I'd probably see an increase of 2USD at the end of the year from the increased cost of running the PC AND my air conditioner. For some (many) of us, power efficiency isn't that huge, until we need to run on 120v/20A or higher.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I would lean towards #2. Was already worried because they were taking so long to launch Vega. Now that it's here and we've had a taste, I don't believe it will deliver. Too little too late, IMO. 

When RX Vega launches and sits between the 1080 and 1080Ti with a competitive price, I will stand corrected. But with the terrible power efficiency, AMD has already lost this round, in my eyes. :( 

Not to mention, probably down a tier once Volta rolls around so they're way behind at 1080 levels

-------

Current Rig

-------