7900X Coming In Hot?!

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Coffeelake on X299 would be pretty freaking cool. I would definitely buy the 6 core if they decide to do that :D

I imagine dropping CFL on X299 would cause a lot of shouting by very angry Asian motherboard designers.  Haha.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Raven Ridge APU looks like it'll be pretty nuts.  It's 4c8t Zen CCX + 1/6th of a RX Vega.  So it's about like having a Ryzen 5 1400 and a GTX 1030 on a single package.  HTPC king, especially with hardware decoding.

That would be great! Would be perfect for my home theater and a light bedroom gaming rig all in one.

I swear, one of these days I'm going to FINALLY buy an AMD product. They deserve it and their APU's are looking like my next definite purchase.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I asked them and they  said they don't care how many returns you have as long as it isn't too many "defective item" returns.  Once you cross that threshold you get banned.

Yeah, I think you may have asked under a slightly different set of circumstances.  :D

It's become a pretty big talking point on some forums that they are doing it now for unopened items as well as some Prime members are slamming them hard.  Speculation is that the magic number is 10% right now, which seems very fair to me.  Unfortunately, if you call them and ask what the rate is, they can't/refuse to tell you. 

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

I imagine dropping CFL on X299 would cause a lot of shouting by very angry Asian motherboard designers.  Haha.

I could care less, I just want a 6 core Coffelake on LGA 2066 :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You better believe that they resell unopened items as new.  Most retailers do whether we know it or not.

I see nothing wrong with that to be fair, its sealed so its condition is new and unused :) 

12 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What I'm excited about is the possibility of Coffee Lake getting the same adaptation for x299.  x299 would literally become a platform that could support any task.

Me too but you said it wasn't suited to X299 but when I asked why you didn't say :P 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, I think you may have asked under a slightly different set of circumstances.  :D

It's become a pretty big talking point on some forums that they are doing it now for unopened items as well as some Prime members are slamming them hard.  Speculation is that the magic number is 10% right now, which seems very fair to me.  Unfortunately, if you call them and ask what the rate is, they can't/refuse to tell you. 

I'll just hope my business account makes me immune to their quotas :)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I return THAT much, but I do return unopened items that I don't need.  After learning about their new return system, I'm just more careful in ordering the amount of stuff I need, where I used to say "fuck it, buy more and return what I don't need".

We've all had builds where we wished would would have gotten a few extra of these or more of those.  Especially when doing custom loops and other big projects.  

Luckily I remain under whatever their threshold is.  Maybe that's a sign that I order too much shit to begin with? :)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you return things left and right. I apologize if it seemed that way. Trust me, I'm weary of Amazon too. I didn't like returning my Titan X for a 1080 Ti because I knew NV would lose money from it. That happens for any company. I feel bad, but what can you do? They offer a 30 day no questions asked return for a full refund. I figured, hey, I can save $500 so, why not? 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I guess that would depend on if the PCIe / memory lane pin-out differed much.  Other than that, the onus is on Intel to make it work with the socket and send out new code for BIOS updates.  

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

They don't seem too happy with X299 already xD

Those manuals man :P 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Pretty HUGE newsflash.  Check my signature!  xD

I am laughing my ass off! xDxDxDxD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Asus already has their manuals for some of their boards up on their website.   That's how I learned that the VROC key thing was just everyone overreacting.  :D

58 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

You have to pay to play. :) 

hahahah
I mean I guess that's the 3rd factor in the two you guys laid our earlier. 

With that said, I am excited to see 6950x prices drop a tad so I can upgrade 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

36 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Paul was pretty annoyed just trying to explain it all. :P

so hot...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

so hot...

h a w t

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

10 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Asus already has their manuals for some of their boards up on their website.   That's how I learned that the VROC key thing was just everyone overreacting.  :D

Just noticed I'm in your sig -.- god damn it :P 

FYI you can be an asshole without being one all the time ;) for example *looks at self*

Steve said something interesting in the "review": there's an auto Vcore OC feature on X299.  That's probably where the thermal issue is coming from, but it might also limit performance if you wrangle that in.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Steve said something interesting in the "review": there's an auto Vcore OC feature on X299.  That's probably where the thermal issue is coming from, but it might also limit performance if you wrangle that in.

Steve from HW Unboxed/Techspot has the most in depth review regarding the thermals so far. I updated the first post with his review if you didn't see :) Was happening at 1.2V no auto Vcore. Also happened immediately in Aida64 cpu only test which is a non AVX workload, so there goes the blaming AVX argument :P 

51 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Steve from HW Unboxed/Techspot has the most in depth review regarding the thermals so far. I updated the first post with his review if you didn't see :) Was happening at 1.2V no auto Vcore. Also happened immediately in Aida64 cpu only test which is a non AVX workload, so there goes the blaming AVX argument :P 

In the case of the 7900X, I really think it's just dealing with too much heat in too tight of an area that then has to deal with the TIM issue.

The delidder are probably going to have a field day with this chip starting next week.

How is this thread still going ;-; Don't you people think that everything that needs to be said has already been said?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

16 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Pretty HUGE newsflash.  Check my signature!  xD

6 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Just noticed I'm in your sig -.- god damn it :P 

FYI you can be an asshole without being one all the time ;) for example *looks at self*

It's good to see that nothing gets by you.  xD