7900X Coming In Hot?!

We managed to hit 4.5GHz with a Vcore of 1.275V. Then for the cooler we have the Kraken X62 CLC, fans maxed out, pump maxed out. So it's an adequate cooler for anything normal. The last couple Intel releases have not been normal in the thermal department as discovered with the 7700k... So temperatures we were seeing north of 90 Celsius with 4.5Ghz at 1.275V and we were still seeing pretty high thermals without the overclock as well. That will be covered in a separate piece from us... Quite hot 95C package temperate with cores high aswell which is going to be some what of a limiter in the future for overclocking. Lastly power increases by a couple hundred Watts when overclocking and that's especially true when you start OC'ing memory aswell. So this is a cpu that is definitely more power hungry than those we have worked with recently.

Well damn no wonder they have a whole separate video planned on thermals and power upcoming! These are just key notes and I look forward to seeing GN's dedicated video on the topic as these guys are super thorough and have excellent test methodology. 95 degrees at a voltage as low as 1.275V?! Damn! what's your thoughts on that guys? Unlucky to anyone who loses the silicon lottery and needs to push 1.3V or more for their OC. It's not the end of the world you can rectify it by delidding and doing the job Intel should have done in the 1st place, I guess the thing to take away from this for me personally is why did they have to cut corners with the enthusiast platform like lack of solder that they didn't cut before?? It's just a shame that a delid of modern Intel processor is almost compulsory, and while that might be ok for the 7700k I wouldn't be too comfortable doing this to a $1000 cpu, would you?!

Full video below, you only need to watch the 1st 5 mins though the rest is off topic. Note when you see ellipses above it is to keep the text quote down to essential wording only. Full version in the video of course.

Update 23/0617

Techspot review weighs in with more detail than the brief GN key notes

Power:

Up until now the new Syklake-X processors have looked mighty impressive. The 6-core 7800X sucks down the same 193 watts as the 8-core Ryzen 7 1800X -- I was hoping it would be closer to the 1600X. Still, the 7800X isn't really the issue, both the 8-core and 10-core models are considerably more power hungry.

Both pushed system consumption over 200 watts and that's significantly more power than what the 6950X system used. 226 watts is a huge amount of draw for the Excel test, let's move on and see what the power consumption figures for the Cinebench R15 test look like. Okay so these numbers are even worse, quite a bit worse. The reason for this being that the Cinebench R15 test is not just more intensive, but it also runs for quite a bit longer so the chips heat up more and consume even more power. For this test the 7900X was sucking down almost 260 watts whereas the 6850X hit just 212 watts. Clearly those higher clock speeds come at a real cost.

Thermals:

Using just 1.2 volts, which is all I needed for a stable 4.6GHz overclock on all cores, the system consumption went from the 259 watts just seen to an insane 402 watts! That might not even be the worst part, the deal breaker is probably the operating temps. Chilling the 7900X was Corsair's H100i v2 and despite being a premium 240mm AIO liquid cooler, temps skyrocketed as the CPU was place under load, reaching 90 degrees instantly before climbing further towards 100 degrees.

Additional:

Its very interesting when like Steve you don't receive a reviewer sample from Intel...

My chip only managed a stable 4.6GHz and no matter how much voltage I threw at it I wasn't able to stress test . The system would boot into Windows but would blue screen within the first few moments of running a stress test.

Spoiler

Note in the above image the immediate temperature spike when under load at just 1.2V and throttling. Also lets look closely here at the tests Steve ran. In Aida64 the "stress CPU" option means the AVX instruction set is not used. To my knowledge the "stress FPU" must be selected to utilise AVX instruction sets in aida64. So for everyone assuming the high temps are down to AVX, bad news fellas...

Article: http://www.techspot.com/review/1433-intel-core-i9-core-i7-skylake-x/page4.html

Video: 

5 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

This is why it's not a good idea to set up a cadence that capitalises on the absence of competition. Intel's been beating a drum that only sounds good without AMD in the mix... and it's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion as they try to change gears. They can't stop it overnight, and they need to understand that.

it is so sad, the silicon looks good, but the whole TIM issues, X299 being a cluster fuck is a real turn off.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I didn't even have to click on the thread to know who had posted it @tom_w141 xD

95C is just bad, I really hope that the 12+ core ones are soldered :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Don't really care cause delidding anyawys.

Butttttt testing with close loop piece of shit AIO's is a turn off.  Put a custom loop on it so we can see the behavior on a more standardized "best case" cooling setup and then people can extrapolate downwards if they use an AIO.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Wow, too late to hit the abort button? I haven't had a chance to watch the clip, but what did they mean by high stock temps? I'll have to watch after work.

I'm assuming Linus is working on another dramatic rain scene?

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Butttttt testing with close loop piece of shit AIO's is a turn off.  Put a custom loop on it so we can see the behavior on a more standardized "best case" cooling setup and then people can extrapolate downwards if they use an AIO.

Why?

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Wow, too late to hit the abort button? I haven't had a chance to watch the clip, but what did they mean by high stock temps? I'll have to watch after work.

The rain is the only way to cool it so call it the review from Linus ;)

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I, personally, think using one of the best off the shelf AIO's is a much better way of standardizing than using a custom loop.

Logic is weak here. 

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I didn't even have to click on the thread to know who had posted it @tom_w141 xD

95C is just bad, I really hope that the 12+ core ones are soldered :/

Poster doesn't matter news is news? I'm not the source. GN is very reputable. You yourself use their graphs because their testing is in depth and thorough.

14 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

In the video he says stock temps weren't much lower he doesn't disclose numbers. You'll have to wait for the full video for that. This was probably just a heads up for people who preorder. Prevent a nasty shock ya know.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Poster doesn't matter news is news? I'm not the source. GN is very reputable. You yourself use their graphs because their testing is in depth and thorough.

I know, I just knew that you would be the first to post it in tech news :P Gamers Nexus is an extremely credible source. :D

Anyways, 95C is unacceptable IMO (they could have soldered this CPU) and I think that the 12+ core CPUs definitely have to be soldered, because if they aren't they are going to hit TJmax at stock speeds xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I know, I just knew that you would be the first to post it in tech news :P Gamers Nexus is an extremely credible source. :D

Anyways, 95C is unacceptable IMO (they could have soldered this CPU) and I think that the 12+ core CPUs definitely have to be soldered, because if they aren't they are going to hit TJmax at stock speeds xD 

how would you feel if they didn't and just lowered clocks

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

how would you feel if they didn't and just lowered clocks

I am not buying one, so I could care less :P But I really hope that they don't just lower the clocks because having to delid a $2K processor would be just ridiculous.

If they decide not to solder them, they should just ship the CPUs delidded out of the box -_-

23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This is my 1st news post I'm rarely 1st xD

Actually I doubt it. My reasoning being if they have to solder the 12C and up then that is admitting that they could solder them they couldn't be bothered. If they don't solder any of them then they can remain silent in that grey area where some people will say "it's because they can't" even though it's a monolithic die like X99 in terms of size and that was soldered... Kaby lake mainstream ok they get a pass it is small.

It's it weird that I'm almost feeling bad for Intel? This is just sad. Then I remember the shitty things they've done in the past 

https://goo.gl/images/c6yqLh

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

14 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If they decide not to solder them, they should just ship the CPUs delidded out of the box -_-

That's actually a good idea. If they are going to skimp on quality then they should just not bother, it makes a delid far less risky if they ship with the IHS in a separate bag.

Just now, ivan134 said:

It's it weird that I'm almost feeling bad for Intel? This is just sad. Then I remember the shitty things they've done in the past 

Yeah honestly they should have just soldered them. If there is a reason they didn't other than maximising profit then it better be a good reason.

18 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am not buying one, so I could care less :P But I really hope that they don't just lower the clocks because having to delid a $2K processor would be just ridiculous.

Did you forget you're not supposed to OC your K series CPU?!???

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

This is my 1st news post I'm rarely 1st xD

Actually I doubt it. My reasoning being if they have to solder the 12C and up then that is admitting that they could solder them they couldn't be bothered. If they don't solder any of them then they can remain silent in that grey area where some people will say "it's because they can't" even though it's a monolithic die like X99 and that was soldered... Kaby lake mainstream ok they get a pass it is small.

Yeah, der8auer said in his video that Intel was using thermal paste from the get go. I guess that they didn't expect Ryzen to be that good xD I think that they may solder the 18 core because they weren't planning on releasing a 12+ core CPU, so they may try to make up for the lack of solder on the 6,8 and 10 core CPUs........

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Did you forget you're not supposed to OC your K series CPU?!???

No, this is what they said: "If you don't want high temps, don't overclock because overclocking voids the warranty of your processor and increases CPU temperatures"

7 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

That's actually a good idea. If they are going to skimp on quality then they should just not bother, it makes a delid far less risky if they ship with the IHS in a separate bag.

I think that enthusiasts would actually appreciate it, because it makes direct die cooling easier :D

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that enthusiasts would actually appreciate it, because it makes direct die cooling easier :D

Is that still a thing? I thought everyone just put the heat spreader back on but with liquid metal or something.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Well, in the video of linus reviewing the thing there was also a very short clip of them showing it hitting 90°C+ so it's not exactly a surprise nor an exception.

Honestly this makes them look bad, really bad. AMD solders their cpu's so now Intel will look like the power-hungry stupidly hot one of the 2 by a big difference.

Imo they deserve it tho, it's time we throw some sh*t back to them, they threw it at us for far too long.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon