7900X Coming In Hot?!

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

So 6% more power draw than Ryzen for far more single core performance and 2 more cores.

Win.

Low OC on the 7900X (And about the lowest power draw reading we've seen) and a really high OC on the 1800X. So that's not too surprising.  I'm not sure what OCCT Linpack does for testing power draw, though.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Low OC on the 7900X (And about the lowest power draw reading we've seen) and a really high OC on the 1800X. So that's not too surprising.  I'm not sure what OCCT Linpack does for testing power draw, though.

Just for fun, they should downclock it to about 3.8 and disable 2 cores to match a 4.1 1800X and see the power consumption difference.  That would give a "shut the fuck up" data point.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

13 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

So 6% more power draw than Ryzen for far more single core performance and 2 more cores.

Win.

Seems these kind of tests are all over the place. Techspot/Hardware Unboxed reviews the 7900X, when OC to 4.6GHz with 1.2v, system power draw hits 402W.

What's going on?

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Just for fun, they should downclock it to about 3.8 and disable 2 cores to match a 4.1 1800X and see the power consumption difference.  That would give a "shut the fuck up" data point.

Not really. We'd just mock the person for being an idiotic fan-boy, as that's actually what is going on.

It appears OCCT is a decent test for stability, but it's got nothing on Prime95 for trashing the cores.  So, take it for what it is.  (Which I think it's actually the AVX that's driving a lot of the heat issues.)

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Seems these kind of tests are all over the place. Techspot/Hardware Unboxed reviews the 7900X, when OC to 4.6GHz with 1.2v, system power draws hit 402W.

What's going on?

A large delta in chip performance. Note Steve did not get his chip from Intel so it won't be a golden chip

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Seems these kind of tests are all over the place. Techspot/Hardware Unboxed reviews the 7900X, when OC to 4.6GHz with 1.2v, system power draws hit 402W.

What's going on?

Workload matters for this stuff. AVX being the really power hungry calculations right now.

17 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Win.

My thoughts exactly. I'll take that trade off anytime!!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Cinebench R15 Multi-core is generally 2150-2200 on a "stock" 7900X. 2400 under all-core OC.  I imagine someone is going to get 2500 posted by next week.

Which brings up an interesting discussion about the actual performance uplift from a heavy OC vs the extra power usage/heat generation.

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

My thoughts exactly. I'll take that trade off anytime!!

The 7800X seems really efficient TBH :D It doesn't draw a lot of power which means that it should run pretty cool as well. I am seriously considering upgrading to the 7800X

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 7800X seems really efficient TBH :D It doesn't draw a lot of power which means that it should run pretty cool as well. I am seriously considering upgrading to the 7800X

Based on you not having an AIO i'd say thats smart :P Also OP is updated.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Based on you not having an AIO i'd say thats smart :P Also OP is updated.

I will probably get the 7800X or the 7820X, but I will wait for Threadripper before I decide (ofc) :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Unless you need the I/O, I'd really recommend waiting for Coffee Lake for a 6c/12t Intel CPU. It really looks like it'll be on the 2nd revision of the 14nm process.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I will probably get the 7800X or the 7820X, but I will wait for Threadripper before I decide (ofc) :D

If you are a gamer TR won't be for you. It won't clock above Ryzen so unless you have some heavy workstation tasks to do TR isn't the best purchase. Looking forward to seeing a 16 core desktop CPU in workstation tasks though :) 

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Unless you need the I/O, I'd really recommend waiting for Coffee Lake for a 6c/12t Intel CPU. It really looks like it'll be on the 2nd revision of the 14nm process.

When are they going to announce it?

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

But he won't like going from HEDT to mainstream peasantry like us LGA115X and AM4 peasants :P 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 7820X not having the full PCIe lanes would, if I was in the market for a HEDT right now, really drive me up a wall. That's probably the better CPU on the X299 stack, but that's a huge price delta to get full access.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

When are they going to announce it?

Announcement is August or September.  Not conjecture, as it was on Intel's roadmap giving to financial analysts in May. It'll be out this year, but we don't know exactly when. October?

Just now, tom_w141 said:

If you are a gamer TR won't be for you. It won't clock above Ryzen so unless you have some heavy workstation tasks to do TR isn't the best purchase. Looking forward to seeing a 16 core desktop CPU in workstation tasks though :) 

Yeah, but 10/12 cores means that you can record gameplay, render videos, play games all at the same time without losing FPS. Pretty cool stuff :D

The 7820X not having the full PCIe lanes would, if I was in the market for a HEDT right now, really drive me up a wall. That's probably the better CPU on the X299 stack, but that's a huge price delta to get full access.

Don't really need all that IO :P

Z370 Coffeelake-S parts will be out this year, which includes the 6c/12t top SKU.  It'll be on 14nm++.

The 300-series, "mainstream" motherboards & parts will be something like late Q1/early Q2 2018.  

Cannonlake, the 10nm parts, are coming to Mobile *only*.  Intel has had problems with 10nm, but everyone has.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Announcement is August or September.  Not conjecture, as it was on Intel's roadmap giving to financial analysts in May. It'll be out this year, but we don't know exactly when. October?

I heard latest leaks were that is was delayed feb 2018?

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I heard latest leaks were that is was delayed feb 2018?

The whole "product stack" is going to stretch out well into 2018. The Z370 / k SKU parts are this year.