7900X Coming In Hot?!

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

If sub $400 was possible they would have crippled Ryzen. Yeah less profit but if it were me its what I would have done.

If they wanted, Intel could price all their CPU's $50 dollars below all of AMD's offerings and completely push AMD out of the market. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Release is Monday though so no one should ship before then right?

Newegg usually ships fast so I don't think they'll wait to ship this.  I'm buying mine from Micro Center on release day simply because it's local and they have an unbelievable return policy.  Newegg is really becoming tight asses with returns these days on CPUs, motherboards and GPUs.

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

If they wanted, Intel could price all their CPU's $50 dollars below all of AMD's offerings and completely push AMD out of the market. 

Ikr, shame that greed is a thing :) Btw congrats on the obvious award xD 

On a more serious note Intel's yields will be lower so I don't think they actually could without profits being so low they wouldn't have salary/ R&D  money. AMD's yields on an 8 core Ryzen are reported to be over 80% which means that their 4 core yields must be insane.

Just now, done12many2 said:

I'm buying mine from Micro Center on release day simply because it's local and they have an unbelievable return policy.  Newegg is really becoming tight asses with returns these days on CPUs, motherboards and GPUs.

U.K so not relevant to me but informative nonetheless. In the UK Amazon is your safest bet because their return policy is absolutely stellar no matter the product or if you used it (unless its a consumable)

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Newegg usually ships fast so I don't think they's wait to ship this.  I'm buying mine from Micro Center on release day simply because it's local and they have an unbelievable return policy.  Newegg is really becoming tight asses with returns these days on CPUs, motherboards and GPUs.

I need to check their mobo's. I'm getting mine tomorrow from newegg. Hopefully they're ready for ordering so I can use PayPal.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I think this is exactly what Steve from Techspot/HWUnboxed is getting at when he calls X299 a stop gap. If Intel had waited and used coffeelake as the next HEDT it could be a very different game rather than rushing.

Coffee Lake could not have been the HEDT replacement as it was never designed with that in mind.  Remember, the work on CL started a really long time ago.  :D

X299's problem is that AMD never had a competing product since the HEDT market came about.  (Good gaming/general use + workstation ability.)  Now, with the way Zen cores & Infinity Fabric work, they've got a problem in that space.  Though I really don't get why these seem to be on the Skylake process node.  Once Coffeelake launches, it'll put the Z-platform 2 nodes ahead?

Coffee Lake could not have been the HEDT replacement as it was never designed with that in mind.  Remember, the work on CL started a really long time ago.  :D

*looks at kaby lake bolted to X299* why not?

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

X299's problem is that AMD never had a competing product since the HEDT market came about.  (Good gaming/general use + workstation ability.)  Now, with the way Zen cores & Infinity Fabric work, they've got a problem in that space.  Though I really don't get why these seem to be on the Skylake process node.  Once Coffeelake launches, it'll put the Z-platform 2 nodes ahead?

These are done well in advance. Years. There was a roadmap on overckockers that was posted in 2014 showing Skylake-X to be released in q1-q2 2017. They're on time, but maybe they were forced to release ahead of schedule by a bit.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

U.K so not relevant to me but informative nonetheless. In the UK Amazon is your safest bet because their return policy is absolutely stellar no matter the product or if you used it (unless its a consumable)

Amazon is great here too, but they do have their own return issues.  Much like Best Buy (a company destined for failure soon), Amazon is now using a formula to calculate return rates on customers, which can lead to denied returns and order suspension/banning.  While this wont impact the average consumer, it fucks with people like me.

When I do builds, I like to order extra shit simply because of Murphy's Law.  If I don't open it and don't need it, I return it.  If I cross the magical threshold, Amazon will deny my return and suspend future purchases even though I paid for a Prime membership.  They don't care if it wasn't opened.  If you exceed their threshold, you are suspended.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

*looks at kaby lake bolted to X299* why not?

What I'm excited about is the possibility of Coffee Lake getting the same adaptation for x299.  x299 would literally become a platform that could support any task.  

Regardless, because of AMD, I got a great processor for $600 instead of $120000000000000. ? 

11 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Exactly

My guess is that they wanted something that could completely crush Ryzen*

*after you delid and overclock to 5GHz

And they wanted to make some CPUs with dat AVX-512 xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

Regardless, because of AMD, I got a great processor for $600 instead of $120000000000000. ? 

Exactly how I feel about it.  I for one am appreciative of what AMD has brought with regards to good competition.  I'll return the favor by supporting them in Threadripper with a purchase (if it's good, which I'm sure it will be.)

Amazon is great here too, but they do have their own return issues.  Much like Best Buy (a company destined for failure soon), Amazon is now using a formula to calculate return rates on customers, which can lead to denied returns and order suspension/banning.  While this wont impact the average consumer, it fucks with people like me.

When I do builds, I like to order extra shit simply because of Murphy's Law.  If I don't open it and don't need it, I return it.  If I cross the magical threshold, Amazon will deny my return and suspend future purchases even though I paid for a Prime membership.  They don't care if it wasn't opened.  If you exceed their threshold, you are suspended.

At the same time, I get Amazon's point. They lose money every time someone sends something back. Because they can't sell it as new any longer. So it makes sense from a business standpoint, but it can hurt consumers who are returning products for legitimate reasons, no doubt. 

These are done well in advance. Years. There was a roadmap on overckockers that was posted in 2014 showing Skylake-X to be released in q1-q2 2017. They're on time, but maybe they were forced to release ahead of schedule by a bit.

Skylake itself ended up being late by almost 18 months, if I remember right.  It was also supposed to have PCIe 4.0.

While the roadmap and a lot of design work is done years in advance, my point was about the process Node for Skylake-X.  Though it's possible that Kaby Lake & Coffee Lake are on the same Node and I'm confused on that point. (So they'd only be 1 node ahead.)

Exactly how I feel about it.  I for one am appreciative of what AMD has brought with regards to good competition.  I'll return the favor by supporting them in Threadripper with a purchase (if it's good, which I'm sure it will be.)

I may check out one of their APU's for an HTPC I've been wanting to do for ages. 

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

At the same time, I get Amazon's point. They lose money every time someone sends something back. Because they can't sell it as new any longer. So it makes sense from a business standpoint, but it can hurt consumers who are returning products for legitimate reasons, no doubt. 

You better believe that they resell unopened items as new.  Most retailers do whether we know it or not.  Opened stuff I understand.

You should have waited for Threadripper (God this name is huge). Intel may drop their prices even more! :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What I'm excited about is the possibility of Coffee Lake getting the same adaptation for x299.  x299 would literally become a platform that could support any task.  

Coffeelake on X299 would be pretty freaking cool. I would definitely buy the 6 core if they decide to do that :D

You better believe that they resell unopened items as new.  Most retailers do whether we know it or not.  Opened stuff I understand.

No doubt. I'm sure it happens. I have Prime too but have only ever returned like 5 items in 10 years. :D 

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

I may check out one of their APU's for an HTPC I've been wanting to do for ages. 

Raven Ridge APU looks like it'll be pretty nuts.  It's 4c8t Zen CCX + 1/6th of a RX Vega.  So it's about like having a Ryzen 5 1400 and a GTX 1030 on a single package.  HTPC king, especially with hardware decoding.

13 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Ikr, shame that greed is a thing :) Btw congrats on the obvious award xD 

On a more serious note Intel's yields will be lower so I don't think they actually could without profits being so low they wouldn't have salary/ R&D  money. AMD's yields on an 8 core Ryzen are reported to be over 80% which means that their 4 core yields must be insane.

True, but Intel (like NVidia) is worth billions and billions. They could completely tank 2 rounds of products and keep going. Now they wouldn't want to, of course.

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

They don't care if it wasn't opened.  If you exceed their threshold, you are suspended.

I asked them and they  said they don't care how many returns you have as long as it isn't too many "defective item" returns.  Once you cross that threshold you get banned.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

No doubt. I'm sure it happens. I have Prime too but have only ever returned like 5 items in 10 years. :D 

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I return THAT much, but I do return unopened items that I don't need.  After learning about their new return system, I'm just more careful in ordering the amount of stuff I need, where I used to say "fuck it, buy more and return what I don't need".

We've all had builds where we wished would would have gotten a few extra of these or more of those.  Especially when doing custom loops and other big projects.  

Luckily I remain under whatever their threshold is.  Maybe that's a sign that I order too much shit to begin with? :)