7900X Coming In Hot?!

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Strange that it wasn't a computex announcement then :S 

Well, the roadmap for their product releases this year was at the finance meeting the weekend before Computex.  That's why we know what the stuff getting shoved to 2018 is.

So, to their partners they did.  Z370 and the 300-series boards require a new socket, which is partially what this is about.  Coffee Lake was added in because Cannonlake got cancelled and Icelake isn't until probably Q3 2018.   10nm yields & performance being bad really messed up Intel, and it's part of the reason AMD has a big window right now.

47 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

My thoughts exactly. I'll take that trade off anytime!!

price? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Readable copy found!

Now that I think about it, wouldn't a 6 core mainstream CPU make the 7800X pointless? o.O

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Now that I think about it, wouldn't a 6 core mainstream CPU make the 7800X pointless? o.O

Well, 28 PCIe lanes + 24 on the chipset (which is really a lot less).  But if you're not planning to run multiple GPUs, then pretty much.  If it lands 2ish months after announcement, that'd probably be October/November?

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, 28 PCIe lanes + 24 on the chipset (which is really a lot less).  But if you're not planning to run multiple GPUs, then pretty much.  If it lands 2ish months after announcement, that'd probably be October/November?

I may add a second 1080, but TBH, 8 lanes per GPU are more than enough. I'll definitely wait for Coffeelake, better IPC, higher clocks, cheaper (and probably more efficient). Definitely worth the wait IMO :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Relatedly, for all of the CPUs coming out (and we're going to have about 9 major CPU launches by the end of the year), it's actually a terrible time to buy a new system.  Unless you just need a stable home PC, then buy a Ryzen 5 1600.

Half of the X299 chips aren't available yet, Threadripper drops in August.  The Skylake Xeons are "soon". Cannonlake (mobile) & Coffeelake (desktop) are Q4.  Raven Ridge is probably Q4 as well.  While tech is always "something new comes if you wait!", the 2nd half of the year is going to be nuts for CPU releases.  If you can wait, I'd really recommend waiting.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Relatedly, for all of the CPUs coming out (and we're going to have about 9 major CPU launches by the end of the year), it's actually a terrible time to buy a new system.  Unless you just need a stable home PC, then buy a Ryzen 5 1600.

Half of the X299 chips aren't available yet, Threadripper drops in August.  The Skylake Xeons are "soon". Cannonlake (mobile) & Coffeelake (desktop) are Q4.  Raven Ridge is probably Q4 as well.  While tech is always "something new comes if you wait!", the 2nd half of the year is going to be nuts for CPU releases.  If you can wait, I'd really recommend waiting.

TR might cause X299 price drops even :) 

18 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

price? 

You have to pay to play. :) 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

B&H still has not received their stock of Skylake X as of this morning...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, tom_w141 said:

TR might cause X299 price drops even :) 

This would be FUCKING AWESOME! If the 7820X cost $350-450 I would buy it in a heartbeat!

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I may add a second 1080, but TBH, 8 lanes per GPU are more than enough. I'll definitely wait for Coffeelake, better IPC, higher clocks, cheaper (and probably more efficient). Definitely worth the wait IMO :D

It's also on 14nm++, which is actually why Cannonlake on Desktop doesn't exist.  (Coffee Lake replaced Cannonlake.) The 10nm shrink isn't an improvement over the process. Coffeelake either allows for something like a 4.5 Ghz base clock OR it allows you to drop the volts.  Considering the Heat-to-AIO issues for the 10c SK-X part, I think a high-clocked 6c is the best bet for a Gaming CPU.

Especially as Nvidia's DX11 driver is pretty much 6 threads, but it can spread to 12 threads.

Related to buying another 1080, it dawned on me that AMD might be launching Threadripper & Vega at the same time or really close together. If RX Vega can use more threads in a gaming workload, it could really use having Threadripper around to punch harder against Nvidia. (Just a thought.)

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

B&H still has not received their stock of Skylake X as of this morning...

Newegg has the 7900X only available.  It went from pre-order to available about an hour ago.  

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This would be FUCKING AWESOME! If the 7820X cost $350-450 I would buy it in a heartbeat!

That would be a really freaking good deal at that price point.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Really so you'd buy it if it was 10k? Price does affect you. What you mean is it's not outside your budget.

I'm looking for 8c/16t CPU. My budget is roughly ~ 600 for a CPU and 300-400 for mobo. So about $1000. I want the best performance my money can buy. 7820X and X299 is the perfect match.

Simple really. ? 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Coffeelake either allows for something like a 4.5 Ghz base clock OR it allows you to drop the volts.  Considering the Heat-to-AIO issues for the 10c SK-X part, I think a high-clocked 6c is the best bet for a Gaming CPU.

I think this is exactly what Steve from Techspot/HWUnboxed is getting at when he calls X299 a stop gap. If Intel had waited and used coffeelake as the next HEDT it could be a very different game rather than rushing.

Needless to say, Ryzen 7 made a mockery of Broadwell-E and Intel needed to counter sooner rather than later.

In its haste, the company has launched Skylake-X as a stopgap solution.

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I'm looking for 8c/16t CPU. My budget is roughly ~ 600 for a CPU and 300-400 for mobo. So about $1000. I want the best performance my money can buy. 7820X and X299 is the perfect match.

Simple really. ? 

So exactly what I said. Thanks for confirming :P 

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

That would be a really freaking good deal at that price point.

If sub $400 was possible they would have crippled Ryzen. Yeah less profit but if it were me its what I would have done.

EDIT: Actually the 1800X launched at $480 so even if they went $450-499 it would have been a killer price point. $600 is just reaching a bit imo.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Newegg has the 7900X only available.  It went from pre-order to available about an hour ago.  

Capture.JPG

Interesting.  Maybe they will be receiving them today.  I hope they get them today so they can ship Monday....or sooner.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

I think this is exactly what Steve from Techspot/HWUnboxed is getting at when he calls X299 a stop gap. If Intel had waited and used coffeelake as the next HEDT it could be a very different game rather than rushing.

It would, but they needed something that can compete with Ryzen (Although X99 price drops would have worked just fine)

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

I outlined in another post a bit back that Intel hasn't made any incorrect moves.  It's just a lot of issues all hit at once.  Basically, they knew all of these problems were going to be here by about February of this year, but all they could do was put on a brave face and move up a few launches.  They've gotten hit by a bunch of delays in a bunch of areas, so much of their process & node advantage has really shrunk.  With AMD back being competitive, they can also price themselves really well to make a solid profit and force Intel to not drop prices.

It's a rough spot for them for a while.  Also, the Skylake-X platform is a complete mess because Threadripper exists.