7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960
2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

There are a great deal of enthusiasts who could care less about value.  They just want the best of the best they can buy regardless of practicality or cost.

I disagree, they know their needs and wants of a system, and the value of the parts that meet those needs and wants shoot way ass up for them. Value is not entirely objective, hell, sometimes it's entirely subjective.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Save space, I'll let you know when I run out of room in this :)

-snip da pic-

Mind you have have a whole room for my server stuff and I could fit 3-4 more racks in it.

Give me five minutes on newegg. I'll make that 7980XE a reasonable purchase for you.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

AMD fans some ppl like to blow extra cash on the things they love and want the best honestly nothing wrong with that

INTEL fans some ppl like to spend their money smartly for other things or just don't care about being the best and there is certainly nothing wrong with that

now back to your corners and can't we all just get along ! :D 

Just now, juri-han said:

can't we all just get along

nope-t-shirt-teeturtle_600x.jpg.0be8860609026c957dcd8ac9132517e2.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Give me five minutes on newegg. I'll make that 7980XE a reasonable purchase for you.

Problem is for the stuff I do multiple servers is actually a requirement for configuring it is what I'm doing, ESXi clusters for example. Not really worth going in to it here since I'm very much an outlier even for enthusiasts, mainly because that's not what I'm doing or not in the sense that we are discussing. Going in to it more would get even more off topic but you can rest assured I have a use case for what I'm doing and the way I'm doing it :).

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Just like the TITAN Xp vs 1080 Ti. If you have the money for the best, there's no need tgaf about what others deem as "value." At a certain point, it becomes less about value and more about having the best.

Well said.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I disagree, they know their needs and wants of a system, and the value of the parts that meet those needs and wants shoot way ass up for them. Value is not entirely objective, hell, sometimes it's entirely subjective.

I disagree with your disagreement.  xD

What I mean to say is that there are a great deal of non-professionals that are simply enthusiasts that want the best of the best regardless of value.  It's a hobby to them.  Not a profession.  While they try to justify their expenses through very stretched reasoning, they still get the best thing they can more so because they can.  

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

You're asking too much from the internet.

Anytime AMD & Intel, or AMD & NVidia topic is up, there's a 99.99% chance there's one person that starts a shitfest. xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

You're asking too much from the internet.

Something happens to people when they are protected by the creature comforts of walls and climate control.  Large volumes of testosterone flow through their veins and they are ready to take on the world.  

Put that same keyboard confident rebel in front of a group of people and shit gets real fast.  O.o

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I disagree with your disagreement.

1025201603364288370.gif.e94f8f072d64b822524e79becc29ebb7.gif

Pick who you want to be, and I'll be the other.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It's a hobby to them.  Not a profession.

I don't need to be in a computational profession to benefit from the 7980XE. I just pitched a use case to Lead where it is a good value.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Problem is for the stuff I do multiple servers is actually a requirement for configuring it is what I'm doing

Though the context behind it is different, I feel that the following pic captures the emotions of our mini convo quite well.tumblr_nz08d8utFp1tdeedko1_r1_500.png.5af63ade645fdf46cfdcbcee595fbd32.png

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

20 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I just bought a cheap $130 2700K from ebay last summer and overclocked, it works great as a daily CPU for browsing / gaming / content creation (to an extent)

Such a great CPU.  People questioned it's worth then, but damn if everyone didn't want one.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Such a great CPU.  People questioned it's worth then, but damn if everyone didn't want one.  

Indeed. It's super rare to see CPUs go over 1GHz over the stock boost clock very easily. I also still remember people saying it wasn't worth the extra $100 for the 2600K back in 2011. I really regret not spending that money back then because even now, a used 2600K / 2700K is more than $100 still. My 2500K just sits on my desk now and I just show it to friends (not tech savvy) and they just go "oohhh" when they see what a CPU actually looks like...

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Why are you running 4.6 GHz today?

I'm not running a 2600K anymore actually, I haven't updated my signature in ages. That was the max stable overclock I managed, but it wasn't sustainable. I was running it on an open bench on the back patio with -20C ambient temperature and still core temps were around 90C and I was pushing really high voltage as well. For my 24/7 OC I was running at 5Ghz, and later downvolted and downclocked to 4.6 as I started to care more about a silent PC rather than maximum performance. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

> 5Ghz was never commonplace on a 2600K or 2500K from what I recall.  4.8-4.9-ish was the average.

5Ghz on water was fairly common as I recall. It is also possible I got lucky with the silicon lottery and got a golden chip. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

I still think people make too much of a big deal out of this whole thing, it is a hobby like many others.

My brother just this weekend bought a Honda CB650F for himself, that motorcycle is crazy expensive, not like any one cared, it is his money and his wish. Some people myself included value a great personal computer as much as a fancy drive, so if you have salary that can support it just get a Titan X it'll be bloody cool regardless, like in my life I had the fastest GPU ever, it is something right? xD

It depends on way too much and argue "value worth" of an LUXURY item is simply redundant :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

41 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Though the context behind it is different, I feel that the following pic captures the emotions of our mini convo quite well.

Looks accurate to me xD

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Looks accurate to me xD

Cannon shit right here. Lead is now the Rick to my Warden, and I'm the Warden to Lead's Rick.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Meanwhile at Intel's meeting this morning, after AMD has taken a huge chunk of the market...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I've dealt with odd connectivity overlap issues in the past (old PCI lanes could be an interesting time back in the day), but I still don't get why these chips exist.  Also, no one has a test of a 7640X yet, from what I can find.

6 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

7820x
Aorus Gaming 7
1080 ti FTW3
4x8gb Corsair 3200MHz
2 x 960 evo m.2 Raid 0
1tb 850 evo SSD
H115i with Push/Pull
EVGA 850w Supernova G2
Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Glass

That'll work...

why use evo drives in a high-end build?

evo drives are for plebs,

remember the 840 evo?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

why use evo drives in a high-end build?

evo drives are for plebs,

remember the 840 evo?

Haha...I guess I'm just a pleb.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

39 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I've dealt with odd connectivity overlap issues in the past (old PCI lanes could be an interesting time back in the day), but I still don't get why these chips exist.  Also, no one has a test of a 7640X yet, from what I can find.

7640X isn't released yet

they launched with 7740X, the 8 core and the 10 core, and only in USA

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Except, for a select few of us on the forums, most people won't touch the capability of Intel's more expensive CPUs until Intel has units that cost half as much and support far more usable features. It's wasted cost on what could have gone to a meaningful upgrade, or spent on something else entirely.

So having the best, other than a nigh worthless brag, is only really important for a few people. Some with rather deep pockets, and either a use case or a void in their head.

For all of the people on this forum that claim that they benefit from anything above X299's 10 core (only for it's PCIe lane count, otherwise it'd be the hexacore), I expect that 90% of them are doing things that the 7700K at stock settings can easily do for a good few years.

Beyond that, only people I see getting higher core count X299 chips and actually are:

@done12many2

and me.

Done12 for AVX512 performance, benching, and because he can.

Me, to experiment with some KVMs and AVX512.

To me, value is dictated by need and want. Something like the 7980XE is a horrible value to standard consumers, and thus, they should avoid it. To Done12, it's not actually a bad value if he can leverage it, and if anyone can leverage it, it's him, or @leadeater. To me, it's not a great value right now, but if I develop a use case that benefits from it, value of it shoots up.

When you phrase it like that, it kinda is. So long as you use that word, 'inferior.'

Exactly this ^

This what I was trying to get at and is the reason the average HEDT user shouldn't go for X299. @done12many2 will actually use the features like AVX 512 but 99% of people won't therefore as I said in a previous post its a pointless bragging right that nets them no gains. Lets be honest here the majority of you are going to game and stream/content create, so when I show you how underwhelming the 7820X is for gaming (5-15% gain at 1080p which is a resolution enthusiasts don't play at) it is to prevent you wasting your money. Linus already has a video showing how great the R7 is at the above use case. So I'm not bitter at all because I don't have to pay the huge CPU premium that most of you guys do when you buy Intel (-50%) so if I thought X299 was really an innovation I'd buy it. Its your money guys but the performance is meh (for the majority use case), the cost is high (triple R7 1700 platform), power draw is insane and heat is high (inb4 "I'm delidding it ofc noob" I'm saying you shouldn't have to delid stop defending Intel for god sake and just demand better quality). So at the end of the day if you still want to spend triple the cost for marginal gains and to brag about a feature set you won't use then well that's your choice :) My posts are never to convince the likes of @done12many2 I know you are a big fan with money to blow so you do your thing man, this is aimed at people who don't know there are other options that are very close on performance (unperceivable if they are a gamer and above 1080p) whilst being 1/3 of the cost. Lastly if your workload is workstation heavy then I'd remind you Threadripper is right around the corner with an unlocked 16 core rumoured to start at $849. That is $150 less than the Intel 10 core, 6 more cores and 12 more threads with better workstation performance for less. Intel has some real HEDT competition now and I look forward to some innovation form both sides in the future.

tldr buy what you want but don't be Intel brainwashed and don't be fooled into thinking X299 is a big innovation and Intel is not the only way, their monopoly is dead. You don't need feature sets you likely won't use so consider the near equivalent competition. Watch out for TR those needing HCC CPUs for a reasonable price.  

7 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Agreed a truly innovative CPU and breakthrough for its time. Soldered with a good overclocking headroom (without a compulsory delid) and thermals to match *salutes*. On the other hand the fact that this CPU is still relevant shows how much Intel backed off and spoon fed tiny % gains generation to generation because they had no competition. This is why monopoly's are the worst.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Agreed a truly innovative CPU and breakthrough for its time. Soldered with a good overclocking headroom (without a compulsory delid) and thermals to match *salutes*. On the other hand the fact that this CPU is still relevant shows how much Intel backed off and spoon fed tiny % gains generation to generation because they had no competition. This is why monopoly's are the worst.

Yeah, I actually wonder how things would've turned out if AMD had kept up the competition since then.

Even 2700Ks and 3770Ks will still go for a fair bit used now because of how great they still are as gaming CPUs.

I'm hoping Threadripper will fight it out with Intel and we'll hopefully see better stuff next gen (Mostly waiting on Intel's next process shrink to upgrade CPUs)

any words on reliability/compatibility with the 7900X when it comes to heavy-multi tasking and video editing and rendering? I'm considering getting one for work. Thanks