7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960

Okay let's be real here...

The amount of times AVX is argued as important here is the same as how 8 cores is suddenly "very important" on those Ryzen threads awhile ago

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I know you said or :) I just can't fathom why a 10 core should even weigh in here. 8 vs 8 I get it. 10 vs 8 I don't.

Then the upcoming TR release is irrelevant and shouldn't be compared to these current Intel CPUs even if they cost less because they have more cores?

Just now, leadeater said:

Then the upcoming TR release is irrelevant and shouldn't be compared to these current Intel CPUs even if they cost less because they have more cores?

Scary similar post.  I'm locking my doors now.  

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Okay let's be real here...

The amount of times AVX is argued as important here is the same as how 8 cores is suddenly "very important" on those Ryzen threads awhile ago

Agreed, neither is a necessity, but it's nice to have both if you can.  

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I know you said or :) I just can't fathom why a 10 core should even weigh in here. 8 vs 8 I get it. 10 vs 8 I don't.

Alright 8 vs 8:

87095.png

87096.png

87097.png

87099.png

87101.png

87100.png

87105.png

87106.png

87107.png

87103.png

87104.png

87102.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

15 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

THIS IS RYZEN'S TRUE AVX PERFORMANCE:

Z7KyLnafEy4xEfApq5WGAP-650-80.png

The FX-8370 was a base clock of 4.0 Ghz and a boost of 4.3 Ghz.  Ryzen 7 1800X is base clock of 3.6 Ghz with a boost of 4.0 Ghz. So on the assumption of the single-core boost level being the important one, Zen was roughly a 267% IPC increase in AVX instructions uplift for AMD.  AMD should catch up in their next generational improvement.

Also, that's not the most thread-aware of programs, it would seem. On Broadwell-E, 25% more cores produces about a 9% improvement. (Though it seems to really get the most out of the Intel 8c parts, interestingly enough. And 5930k over the 6800k is odd.)

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So how about we just forget the whole Ryzen vs Skylake-X thing because they weren't even meant to compete with one another?  

When Threadripper is here, we'll get back to arguing.  :D

Waded so deep into the price/performance war (which I still think is relevant sorry :p) That I forgot this xD ^

Want the best? Buy Intel. Want value? Buy AMD. 

Value means NOTHING to me if I want the best! So who again delivers the best? That's right, INTEL. If VALUE trumps all else, whose the best? AMD.

It's simple. There's no denying the FACT that INTEL has the BEST regardless of price!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

TR has a 10 core.

That original core "leak" seems to not be accurate.  We don't know we're getting 10c or 14c parts.  They *can* do it, but we've no proof they *are*. For now, it looks a lot like 2-3 SKUs of 12c & 16c parts.

Also, we'll never stop arguing. Most of us got into Tech arguing about it. Haha.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

TR has a 10 core.

Let's compare 8 cores to 8 cores :P

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

87095.png

87096.png

87097.png

87099.png

87101.png

87100.png

87105.png

87106.png

87107.png

87103.png

87104.png

87102.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So how about we just forget the whole Ryzen vs Skylake-X thing because they weren't even meant to compete with one another?

Even though Ryzen7 was meant to partially compete with Haswell-E and Broadwell-E's 6 and 8 cores? I think low end SLX is a great competitor to R7. Especially that $390 7800X.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

Want the best? Buy Intel. Want value? Buy AMD. 

Value means NOTHING to me if I want the best! So who again delivers the best? That's right, INTEL. If VALUE trumps all else, whose the best? AMD.

It's simple. There's no denying the FACT that INTEL has the BEST regardless of price!

So, how's your Ferrari doing? :)

Also, it's a question of your Use Case. "Best" is always subjective to that.

TR has a 10 core.

Yep.  It's going to be interesting to see how that works out.  The TR 10 core is forced to hop CCXs a bit more then Ryzen 7 and the current Intel 10 cores and we pretty much already know the max clock speed.  Much better thermals, more PCIe lanes.  Who knows how it's going to turn out?

Either way, we're all still winning.  

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Waded so deep into the price/performance war (which I still think is relevant sorry :p) That I forgot this xD ^

I think anyone who debates in support of Intel in a price/performance war is fighting a losing battle. 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Agreed, neither is a necessity, but it's nice to have both if you can.  

Oh ho definitely. I'd wish these chips were soldered and weren't such furnaces. 

But the world isn't perfect... yet ;) 

This release is great despite what others are saying. 

But when it came both camps argued so hard for features that we can't really say were used very extensively. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

So, how's your Ferrari doing?

A ferrari can't offroad or haul a trailer, so it's worthless as per both categories.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Also, it's a question of your Use Case. "Best" is always subjective to that.

No, value is subject to that. Best is best, no matter what.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I think anyone who debates in support of Intel in a price/performance war is fighting a losing battle. 

7700K vs 1800X: AVX performance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

A ferrari can't offroad or haul a trailer, so it's worthless as per both categories.

No, value is subject to that. Best is best, no matter what.

You proved my point with the first response. What is "Best" is only ever in regard to the Use Case.  For an 8-core generalized workout, I imagine the i7-7820X is probably the "best" CPU when cost is removed from the equation.  (Ignoring that cost is *never* out of the equation.) However, cost matters, just less when we get to "Enthusiast" equipment.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

7700K vs 1800X: AVX performance.

Per the Y-cruncher chart the i7-6950X is 88% faster than the Ryzen 7 1700.  On Newegg at the moment, the i7 is 467% more expensive. ($1450 vs $310)

B|

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Per the Y-cruncher chart the i7-6950X is 88% faster than the Ryzen 7 1700.  On Newegg at the moment, the i7 is 467% more expensive. ($1450 vs $310)

B|

You missed one small detail :P

Z7KyLnafEy4xEfApq5WGAP-650-80.png

The 7600K is 7% better and costs 30% less than the 1700 :P

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You proved my point with the first response. What is "Best" is only ever in regard to the Use Case.

No, the Ferrari is just another shit car but with a high price tag. Objectively, vans and trucks are the best vehicles for everything except fuel efficiency. And only because good

4 cylinders in trucks have all but died. So, the stopgap is a decent SUV or crossover made to offroad and for light towing.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

For an 8-core generalized workout, I imagine the i7-7820X is probably the "best" CPU when cost is removed from the equation.  (Ignoring that cost is *never* out of the equation.) However, cost matters, just less when we get to "Enthusiast" equipment.

That's value based on use case. Use case doesn't justify the cost, it isn't a good value.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

B|

Huh. Ask for a $340 quadcore and $500 octocore, get a $1500 decacore and a $330 octocore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, OriAr said:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8225/intel-core-i9-7900x-series-skylake-cpu-review/index.html

Has this review been posted yet? Looks like another BIOS update has helped gaming performance somewhat

That's good, I can't visit the website because I refuse to disable AdBlock

27 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Alright 8 vs 8:

87095.png

87096.png

87097.png

87099.png

87101.png

87100.png

87105.png

87106.png

87107.png

87103.png

87104.png

87102.png

Graphs can be scary and very unrepresentative. Here is the summary at a glance with %s that paint a far more accurate picture than numbers in the millions xD sorry it took awhile the amount of times I had to minimise this was insane :P Btw a negative indicates a win just because of the sheet layout. Excluding the AES row.

1.PNG

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Huh. Ask for a $340 quadcore and $500 octocore, get a $1500 decacore and a $330 octocore.

The 1800x was never value oriented so it would make more sense to compare the 7700k to a 1700 value wise.

Graphs can be scary and very unrepresentative. Here is the summary at a glance with %s that paint a far more accurate picture than numbers in the millions xD sorry it took awhile the amount of times I had to minimise this was insane :P 

1.PNG

What CPU's are you comparing?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc