Der8auer hits 5.0GHz on i9-7900X with AIO water cooling

spaniel53
Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's even more impressive if you take into account that the 6950X had to be cooled with LN2 to get to 5GHz :D

Very true.  

I remember you saying that we might see 5 GHz out of Skylake X chips.  My bad for doubting that.  :D

Just now, done12many2 said:

I remember you saying that we might see 5 GHz out of Skylake X chips.  My bad for doubting that.  :D

Wasn't I also the same guy who told you that Intel will definitely launch an 18 core CPU, after Threadripper was announced :P

(OK, I am going to stop bragging right now xD)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

It will, but will 5Ghz 10core in 99% other programs then 12core 3Ghz? 

Yeah pretty much :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

When does the NDA lift? I'm pretty sure Intel said June release. I need to start getting my old hardware together and put it up on the Bay. Although I'll likely wait ~ 1-2 months after release for new platform issues to get ironed out... if I can contain myself :D 

Looking at this beast here (7820X):

IMG_0508.PNG.bd7d5597c98e2c9691efe02295fe8b5b.PNG

And pair it with one of these eye candies (haven't decided yet):

Rampage VI Apex:

IMG_0510.JPG.d63bfb89716536684e46610e4a3f250e.JPG

or

Rampage VI Extreme:

IMG_0509.JPG.f6ea3a60fec509b5829ad610f17a3775.JPG

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

When does the NDA lift? I'm pretty sure Intel said June release. I need to start getting my old hardware together and put it up on the Bay. Although I'll likely wait ~ 1-2 months after release for new platform issues to get ironed out... if I can contain myself :D 

Rampage VI Apex:

or

Rampage VI Extreme:

I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing in hand reviews starting Monday bud.

That Extreme board or Apex is calling my name.

That Extreme board or Apex is calling my name.

why-not-both-voao0y.jpg

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Maybe if Threadripper isn't impressive, I will get both.  

I'm thinking extreme. My God that rgb is sexy.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm thinking extreme. My God that rgb is sexy.

I personally could care less about the RGB, but if it somehow made my chip run faster, I'll light that thing up like a Christmas tree.  :D

The memory trace routing on the Apex is going to be better simply because it only has 4 DIMM slots for that specific purpose.  Other than memory overclocking, the Extreme and Apex will OC exactly the same.  (Unless it turns out that RGBs do indeed help.  xD)

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

10% higher IPC and 10-25% higher clockspeeds gives Intel a 20-30% single threaded advantage.

is it back up to over a base clock of 4ghz on this latest generation?

I missed the 7x launch due to backing out of tech and computers for a couple months.

Oh well, when you need to compare to a cpu that costs more than twice as much to get any kind of a significant increase to performance, well, that's just a bit insane.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

21 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I personally could care less about the RGB, but if it somehow made my chip run faster, I'll light that thing up like a Christmas tree.  :D

The memory trace routing on the Apex is going to be better simply because it only has 4 DIMM slots for that specific purpose.  Other than memory overclocking, the Extreme and Apex will OC exactly the same.  (Unless it turns out that RGBs do indeed help.  xD)

If it were me, I'd take the Apex. It's still quad channel, and unless you need copious amounts of ram, the better trace topology will serve your goals of lower latency. Besides, you can still throw 64GB in that system and be fine if need be, would just cost a fortune to go that route, lol. Apex quad channel with 1DPC > all else.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

34 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

IMG_0508.PNG.bd7d5597c98e2c9691efe02295fe8b5b.PNG

Rampage VI Apex:

or

Rampage VI Extreme:

I have zeroed in on the Strix 299-E board...looks cleaner to me.  It should have the same OCing potential correct?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

If it were me, I'd take the Apex. It's still quad channel, and unless you need copious amounts of ram, the better trace topology will serve your goals of lower latency. Besides, you can still throw 64GB in that system and be fine if need be, would just cost a fortune to go that route, lol. Apex quad channel with 1DPC > all else.

I'm fairly certain that I'm going with the Apex just because some know-it-all, who shall remain nameless, got me addicted to memory overclocking beyond the norm.

I've been comfortable with 32 GB for quite a while now and seen no reason to upgrade.  I'm going to hunt down a TZ 3600 c16 B-die 4 x 8 kit and I'll try to find the ever elusive c15 kit if I can.  

Not to mention that the Apex has two of the DIMM2 slots for 4 x NVMe before populating PCIe slots.  

The only concern I have is Apex availability at launch.  For z270, they weren't available for quite a while after the other z270 boards.  

I'm fairly certain that I'm going with the Apex just because some know-it-all, who shall remain nameless, got me addicted to memory overclocking beyond the norm.

I've been comfortable with 32 GB for quite a while now and seen no reason to upgrade.  I'm going to hunt down a TZ 3600 c16 B-die 4 x 8 kit and I'll try to find the ever elusive c15 kit if I can.  

Not to mention that the Apex has two of the DIMM2 slots for 4 x NVMe before populating PCIe slots.  

That guy sounds like a jerk. I hope he is no longer employed.

As for DIMM.2, I am probably the only one in my inner circle of enthusiasts that like the idea. Others call it a gimmick, but anything that free's real PCIE slots is a win for me. Not to mention with the way most cases handle airflow, it makes sense for them to be located near ram, assuming airflow isn't obstructed by drive bays (which need to go the way of the dodo).

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

drive bays (which need to go the way of the dodo).

I will fight you over that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I will fight you over that.

At the very least, you'll have a slot for a blu-ray writer to burn a copy of your inevitable defeat to show your friends.

I'm jacked, yo.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

At the very least, you'll have a slot for a blu-ray writer to burn a copy of your inevitable defeat to show your friends.

I prefer hot swap drives.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I'm jacked, yo.

I can take a beating, and return it 2 fold.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, MageTank said:

(which need to go the way of the dodo).

Mine are so useless, I stuck a display and some fans in them just to justify having so many.  xD

20170610_165435.jpg

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Mine are so useless, I stuck a display and some fans in them just to justify having so many.  xD

Hey, that display looks pretty good! I need one xD

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Hey, that display looks pretty good! I need one xD

Believe it or not, the only thing I use it for is reading POST codes.  lol. 

I mean who the hell doesn't already know their clockspeed, fan speed or temp?

It does have audio and USB ports on it, but I don't use that crap.  

I mean who the hell doesn't already know their clockspeed, fan speed or temp?

What happens if we don't want to waste our time and screen realistate with software like CAM, don't want to deal with buggy software, like CAM, or we know that some softwares are inaccurate on our systems, like CAM?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Golden goose can do 5Ghz in the hands of a master overclocker, should indicate about 4.5 for the average Joe chips give or take for silicon lottery

He said in the video that the average chip will probably be able to do 4.7-4.8GHz 9_9

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

What happens if we don't want to waste our time and screen realistate with software like CAM, don't want to deal with buggy software, like CAM, or we know that some softwares are inaccurate on our systems, like CAM?

Then use software like hwinfo64, or Aida64, lol. Or, own a decent GPU/water block that changes LED's based on temperature threshold (if you are in to that sort of thing) and just guess based on pretty colors?

Just now, Drak3 said:

Too funny.  I wonder if CAM is glitchy?  xD

I use HWinfo64 myself and it serves me well on all of my rigs.  

As far as screen real estate, I don't do enough important shit to justify the screens that I'm using so I might as well stare at PC stats all day.  xD