Der8auer hits 5.0GHz on i9-7900X with AIO water cooling

spaniel53
15 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You'll end up returning the Ryzen when I crush your benchmark scores.  I can see the competitor in you.  

Chances are I'm getting Intel, but AMD is not making it easy this time around. I think we all can agree they really brought it with Ryzen. And that's a good thing. 

This platform upgrade will last me 5+ years. The fact that Intel will have superior performance, better memory support, higher overclocking and a better platform all around will make my decision pretty easy. At the end of the day, even the plethora of mobo's to choose from and familiarity will keep me with Intel.

Oh, and those physics scores too is a big big plus for me. I like to benchmark and I'm licking my chops of imagining a Titan Volta with a 7820X ripping through TimeSpy and 3DMark. ?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Intel already has something to swirl an Epyc turd onto the AMD's server line.  They've just had too much time to milk companies with current tech while designing future tech.  Only time will tell, but I'd be very surprised.  

Trust me they have nothing coming :) Not immediately anyway, they will be reliant on mindshare and contracts. They will hemorrhage some market share to AMD there though imo. 

in b4 facebook replaces all servers with amd and intel goes into administration

Spoiler

tenor.gif

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Can't hate a company for price hiking with no performance to match the price hike?  Okay then.

Wait, reviews have been published? Holy shit, better start watching/reading them!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Their response seems to be a bit unorganized which is why people are saying that intel is scared. They think that a rushed response is indicative of fear otherwise they would do a more calculated slower response. Now I'm not going to argue one way or the other about the validity of this claim but I do see why some could come to that conclusion.

I originally clicked the agree until I saw the word "fear".  It is Intel's duty as a company to respond in a competitive manner.  That isn't driven by fear.

Fear is something you experience driving around in Iraq or Afghanistan wondering if your truck is going to blow up.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

I originally clicked the agree until I saw the word "fear".  It is Intel's duty as a company to respond in a competitive manner.  That isn't driven by fear.

Fear is something you experience driving around in Iraq or Afghanistan wondering if your truck is going to blow up.  

Yes but there is responding and then there is knee jerking and announcing 2 more CPUs that don't exist yet and won't release this year because you won't be the best anymore

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

in b4 facebook replaces all servers with amd and intel goes into administration

Sometimes I wish there was a middle finger option on the rating.  

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Calling out BS is fine, but a lot of people are hating on them for no particular reason :/

I think intel would be in alot better place if they didn't have kaby lake x and had more lanes on the 8 core. I'm glad intel is trying to compete but I was hoping for less negatives with all the positive things they are doing.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yes but there is responding and then there is knee jerking and announcing 2 more CPUs that don't exist yet and won't release this year because you won't be the best anymore

Last I checked, we don't know if it's this year or next year.  Regardless, how often do we hear about chips or GPUs months in advance of actually seeing them?  A lot!

I guess the point here is that everyone wants to be able to say that Intel was forced to respond and added the HCC parts unexpectedly.  

To that I say, NO SHIT!

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You can have fear of not life threatening things. You can even have irrational fears. To say that I was using fear out of context is kinda silly. Many people think that intel did this out of fear and that is why I stated it in such a way.

Last I checked, we don't know if it's this year or next year.  Regardless, how often do we hear about chips or GPUs months in advance of actually seeing them?  A lot!

I guess the point here is that everyone wants to be able to say that Intel was forced to respond and added the HCC parts unexpectedly.  

To that I say, NO SHIT!

My point was more they should not have announced them now as they are not ready. They should be announced as an addition to X299 later on because doing it this way just came across as a huge knee jerk reaction.

Just now, done12many2 said:

To that I say, NO SHIT!

Dude all the motherboard partners knew about everything up to the 12 core cpus but we're very confused when they heard about the 16 and the 18 core i9s. The reason why is because it had been a decision made by Intel recently and they didn't have time to tell them.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can have fear of not life threatening things. You can even have irrational fears. To say that I was using fear out of context is kinda silly. Many people think that intel did this out of fear and that is why I stated it in such a way.

Concern fits better than fear. They were concerned about not having the best HEDT part anymore so they reacted to threadripper news and added more higher core count models to remain dominant in the sector. However if the rumored  $849 for the TR 16 core is anywhere near true then the announcement doesn't mean jackshit, TR will be out 1st at less than half the cost and i'm sure it will gobble up a nice % of market share in the HEDT space.

If AMD had kept a tighter lid on TR then its possible you may have seen X299 announced with 12 core max and that would have been a disaster.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I think it played out a little more like this.

Mid level Intel guy to bosses upstairs:  "AMD is about to announce a 16c/32t part"

Bosses upstairs to mid level Intel guy:  "Can we match or beat them without dipping into our server line?

Mid level Intel guy to bosses upstairs:  "No boss, we weren't expecting that"

Bosses upstairs to mid level Intel guy: "Fine then, let's show them who's got the biggest dick on the West Coast!"

Mid level Intel guy to bosses upstairs:  "Thanks boss, because I hate them fuckers."

Bosses upstairs to mid level Intel guy:  "No problem little man, now go make me some money"

I really don't think "fear" was a factor here.  

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Dude all the motherboard partners knew about everything up to the 12 core cpus but we're very confused when they heard about the 16 and the 18 core i9s. The reason why is because it had been a decision made by Intel recently and they didn't have time to tell them.

Everyone knows its a knee jerk reaction to TR more detailed response in my above post ^

Just now, tom_w141 said:

If AMD had kept a tighter lid on TR then its possible you may have seen X299 announced with 12 core max and that would have been a disaster.

IMO, AMD's decision to announce Threadripper was STUPID, if they announced Threadripper after X299 they would have the BEST CPU on the market and Intel would have to:

• Significantly drop their prices or
  • Rush a Skylake-X refresh with more cores

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Mid level Intel guy to bosses upstairs:  "AMD is about to announce a 16c/32t part"

Bosses upstairs to mid level Intel guy:  "Can we match or beat them without dipping into our server line?

Bosses upstairs to mid level Intel guy: "Fine then, let's show them who's got the biggest dick on the West Coast!"

Mid level Intel guy to bosses upstairs:  "Thanks boss, because I hate them fuckers."

Bosses upstairs to mid level Intel guy:  "No problem little man, now go make me some money"

Too funny and too accurate :D

That might be sort of true but if any fear/concern is present then its far more likely to be price related than performance. AMD have an 80% yield on these 8 core dies, even at <$1000 their profit per chip on the 16 cores will be huge. Which will fuel the R&D fire for future zen releases.

A car for example:

Doesn't matter if you go faster, the car i'm making will still get you to work in almost the same time for less than half the cost and costs me very little to produce so my margins are great. You will sell fast cars no doubt, but i'm gonna sell many cars to the more average buyer so i'm going to enjoy profits and market share.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

IMO, AMD's decision to announce Threadripper was STUPID, if they announced Threadripper after X299 they would have the BEST CPU on the market and Intel would have to:

• Significantly drop their prices or
  • Rush a Skylake-X refresh with more cores

They had less choice, it leaked so they announced it. It does benefit them in some ways:

- They get to enjoy Intel's bad press for knee jerking so badly (nothing better than free advertising)

- Intel talked about $ first so they know exactly how they need to price themselves to be competitive

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm thinking it went a bit more like this.

Oh shit amd has a product that could beat the new ones we are coming out with. What do we do boss.

Ahhhhh. Quick go take one of our xeon and see if we can cut it down to a 18 core and 16 core.

Do we tell the public about this yet?

Yes we need to let people know we have a response and that we can still compete. 

But we don't know what clocks we can get it to run at and it will be super expensive what do we say for price and frequency?

I don't know figure it out or say tba.

intel board room was like:

1439905.gif

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Did anyone notice that der8auer hit 5Ghz stable with a 10 core CPU with a delid and an AIO?

Yeah, impressive shit!

Not too sure if you guys are aware, but Intel experienced a slump in sales long before Ryzen hit the market and at the start of this year experienced a growth in revenue largely thanks to gamer's buying CPU's.  They are not "hemorrhaging" sales to AMD.  In fact Intel's revenue for CPU's, SoC's etc alone is up on AMD's total company revenue. There is no arse ripping here, just the usual to and fro of the market.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3003417/intel-posts-record-revenues-thanks-to-solid-pc-chip-sales-and-iot-growth

Does this translate to anything on the ground for enthusiasts? No. 

Is Intel scared? No

Are Intel reacting to the market? yes

Are gamers going to run out and buy Intel becasue one enthusiast got his binned chip to 5Ghz? No

This whole thing reminds me of the Prescott days,  Someone got his Prescott to 6.3 Ghz but the reality was that the AMD's were better chips and gamer's just kept buying them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Atmos said:

is it back up to over a base clock of 4ghz on this latest generation?

I missed the 7x launch due to backing out of tech and computers for a couple months.

Oh well, when you need to compare to a cpu that costs more than twice as much to get any kind of a significant increase to performance, well, that's just a bit insane.

Well a 7820x is going to cost $600 and has 25%+ single threaded performance lead (on paper), which would put it's multithreaded performance around the 10c threadripper (which will also probably be about $600)..... If there is a 10c variant which there very likely might not be. Point is, there is a sizeable single threaded performance advantage which can make up for a lack of cores if the application scales with single threaded performance.

The $1200 12c SKX should in theory compete with the 16c threadripper (come close anyway) that is rumored to be $850 for the base model and probably $900 for the top end model. So also not double the price.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.