Der8auer hits 5.0GHz on i9-7900X with AIO water cooling

spaniel53
2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Not too sure if you guys are aware, but Intel experienced a slump in sales long before Ryzen hit the market and at at he start of this year experienced a growth in revenue largely thanks to gamer's buying CPU's.  They are not "hemorrhaging" sales to AMD.  In fact Intel's revenue for CPU's, SoC's etc alone is up on AMD's total company revenue. There is no arse ripping here, just the usual to and fro of the market.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3003417/intel-posts-record-revenues-thanks-to-solid-pc-chip-sales-and-iot-growth

Does this translate to anything on the ground for enthusiasts? No. 

Is Intel scared? No

Are Intel reacting to the market? yes

Are gamers going to run out and buy Intel becasue one enthusiast got his binned chip to 5Ghz? No

This whole thing reminds me of the Prescott days,  Someone got his Prescott to 6.3 Ghz but the reality was that the AMD's where better chips and gamer's just kept buying them.

Did you watch the video?  My favorite part was when he showed a 10 core CPU running Prime95 (no AVX) at 5 GHz.  :D

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Stop being rational.

Stop stealing my stolen jokes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Did you watch the video?  My favorite part was when he showed a 10 core CPU running Prime95 (no AVX) at 5 GHz.  :D

No way! That was my favorite part too! :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No way! That was my favorite part too! :D

Did you know it was a binned chip though?

Just now, done12many2 said:

Did you know it was a binned chip though?

Who cares? Retail chips will probably be able to overclock similarly.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What has that got to do with my post? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

What has that got to do with my post? 

1355331549061.jpg

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

1355331549061.jpg

Obviously, I wouldn't have asked if I had got it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Who cares? Retail chips will probably be able to overclock similarly.

Unless the rumor that SLX OC's very similarly to BWE is true. In which case @done12many2, get your checkbook ready, you've got alot of binning to do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Unless the rumor that SLX OC's very similarly to BWE is true. In which case @done12many2, get your checkbook ready, you've got alot of binning to do.

Nah, another guy was able to overclock the 7900X to 4.5GHz with a ghetto air cooler setup so I am pretty sure that the rumor is false

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nah, another guy was able to overclock the 7900X to 4.5GHz with a ghetto air cooler setup so I am pretty sure that the rumor is false

Pretty sure people were poking holes in that guy's claim.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Pretty sure people were poking holes in that guy's claim.

Here is a good suggestion: Let's wait for reviews! :P

Just now, Drak3 said:

I know right?  That's a lot of expensive chips.  I'll do it though. 

I'll take der8bauer's first hand experience over "rumors" any day.  I've seen more made up shit on LTT to know better then falling for rumors.

I doubt Skylake X will OC similarly then BWE.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Here is a good suggestion: Let's wait for reviews! :P

I'm going to wait until HWBot has decent sample sizes. Then I'll likely pick up whatever is easiest to Hackintosh with (unless the new Mac Pro's pricing is reasonable), as well as what can give me a stable NAS with lots of options for storage, and probably a Ryzen and a ThreadRipper just to play with.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I doubt Skylake X will OC similarly then BWE.

I expect it to OC similarly to HWE. Without having the 4770K equivalent I don't expect a 5820K equivalent in OCs, I expect the SLX hexa to OC similarly to the 6700K, in the same way that the 5930K OCs similarly to the 4790K.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I just read through the whole thread...

I'm seeing a bunch of "cherry picked", "price to performance sucks", and "Ryzen is better value"... That's a lot of speculation for such a small crowd, in my opinion.

Also, this is X299. None of those guys care if their builds cost a few hundred more dollars as long as they get the best of the best. They don't really care if AMD's Ryzen can deliver the same amount of cores for half the cost. They don't care as long as they get the most out of the chips. 

Half the people commenting here are probably just gamers trading their single-threaded power for more cores in the hopes that sequential calculations can somehow be split in pieces for their extra cores or they're confusing a single-threaded program that uses multiple cores as multi-threaded performance, in general. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 hours ago, Atmos said:

After their attitude this last nearly decade and their complete and utter disaster of a launch with this newest series, I can confidently say that won't happen.

Intel has been digging this hole for a long time now, and now we dont have to keep holding on to their hand to stop them from slipping down it. AMD has come back from vacation and is giving us exactly what we've been demanding now for years, more cores on the mainstream platform.

Who, exactly, was clamouring for 16 cores on the mainstream, non-professional platform? It seems nonsensical to me. The pricing of the higher i9s is ridiculous, yes, but I don't understand this massive chip everyone seems to have on their shoulder for Intel.

Is everyone hosting their own datacentres and renting them out now, that I missed?

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Who, exactly, was clamouring for 16 cores on the mainstream, non-professional platform?

Besides Drak3? No one, but then again, I do like having computational toys to experiment and learn with and I'm running out of space to put more PCs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Concern fits better than fear. They were concerned about not having the best HEDT part anymore so they reacted to threadripper news and added more higher core count models to remain dominant in the sector. However if the rumored  $849 for the TR 16 core is anywhere near true then the announcement doesn't mean jackshit, TR will be out 1st at less than half the cost and i'm sure it will gobble up a nice % of market share in the HEDT space.

If AMD had kept a tighter lid on TR then its possible you may have seen X299 announced with 12 core max and that would have been a disaster.

they really tried though 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Besides Drak3? No one, but then again, I do like having computational toys to experiment and learn with and I'm running out of space to put more PCs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining that they exist. I just can't see the demand and maintain that almost everyone should not be buying them whoever's badge is on the box.

Im trying to figure out what board I want with my 7820x.  I really like the looks of the Asus ROG Strix x299-e board, but hate the second m.2 slot being vertical. Anyone have thought on the MSI Pro Carbon board? How do you think it will price compared to the Asus strix board?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC.html#productFeature-section

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

41 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Im trying to figure out what board I want with my 7820x.  I really like the looks of the Asus ROG Strix x299-e board, but hate the second m.2 slot being vertical. Anyone have thought on the MSI Pro Carbon board? How do you think it will price compared to the Asus strix board?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC.html#productFeature-section

I am going for the EVGA dark myself.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01114/evga-x299-series-motherboards/

4 hours ago, othertomperson said:

Who, exactly, was clamouring for 16 cores on the mainstream, non-professional platform? It seems nonsensical to me. The pricing of the higher i9s is ridiculous, yes, but I don't understand this massive chip everyone seems to have on their shoulder for Intel.

Is everyone hosting their own datacentres and renting them out now, that I missed?

I wasn't saying threadripper is going to be mainstream, its price will likely bring it out of that market. 

What we've been asking for is 6-8 cores on the mainstream, without having to spend $1,000. And that's exactly what they delivered with Ryzen. 

We have a chip on our shoulder because intel has been pissing on us and calling it rain for the last nearly decade now. Minuscule gains to IPC for the sake of power efficiency. Inflating prices. Locking down the mainstream to a maximum of 4 cores. Intel has been holding back the cpu market all because there was no pressure for them to make real advancements, to make real change. We've been angry about this for years, and now that we can have the choice to go to AMD again without sacrificing so much, of course we're going to be happy.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||