The Breadbox (~2.3L box of fun)

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well if you make one that can take an ITX board, or if its easy to extend it so it will, I really want to print one tbh. School has 3D printers I can use(though this is a pretty major print so I'm probably going to have to pay for material) and I now have a spare ITX board around

That would be way too huge though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It may work if you printed it in sections and bolted/joined them together? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It may work if you printed it in sections and bolted/joined them together? 

No I don't mean too big to print (although maybe that too now that you mention it) I mean it defeats the purpose of this build :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No I don't mean too big to print (although maybe that too now that you mention it) I mean it defeats the purpose of this build :P

Ah, fair enough, I guess after all breadbox is supposed to as compact as possible... 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

should end up smaller than the toaster so id say its stil pretty tiny, iirc the toaster is ~10.1L and i already find it pretty small :P

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

print size is definatly fine, im pretty sure you could print an MATX case in the print area of the largest one xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

should end up smaller than the toaster so id say its stil pretty tiny, iirc the toaster is ~10.1L and i already find it pretty small :P

print size is definatly fine, im pretty sure you could print an MATX case in the print area of the largest one xD

With this at 2.3L, I'd expect an ITX version to be sub 4L, and with the ability to support somewhere around 185mm of graphics card.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

With this at 2.3L, I'd expect an ITX version to be sub 4L, and with the ability to support somewhere around 185mm of graphics card.

Sounds pretty good IMO :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

I mean yeah

But the STX version is never going public :P

Yeah this is a special project, not just gonna give it away :P

(also I'd be too embarassed by my Inventor files)

37 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Make an ITX version, il keep it safe :ph34r: 

Builds:

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

Right, so, an update (finally lol).

I have decided to make a few changes to the design (again, also thanks @Ryan_Vickers for bothering to help :P), most notably now wanting to include an internal PSU set-up. This is mostly for the fact that, well, power bricks are huge and I now consider them to add to the volume. Now, I'll be using the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and DC-DC combo, and some sort of high-amp boost converter to get the 19V to the motherboard. The new design will be bigger, of course, but I don't see the total volume going over 4 liters. Now, I'm wondering if I should still print (I know, I know, this long and no print!?) the old design to sit next to the new one :P 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

50 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Right, so, an update (finally lol).

I have decided to make a few changes to the design (again, also thanks @Ryan_Vickers for bothering to help :P), most notably now wanting to include an internal PSU set-up. This is mostly for the fact that, well, power bricks are huge and I now consider them to add to the volume. Now, I'll be using the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and DC-DC combo, and some sort of high-amp boost converter to get the 19V to the motherboard. The new design will be bigger, of course, but I don't see the total volume going over 4 liters. Now, I'm wondering if I should still print (I know, I know, this long and no print!?) the old design to sit next to the new one :P 

I'm willing to bet it'll be under 3 litres still.  We really don't need to add that much more space.  Also, I wouldn't bother printing the old one, what good would that be? :P

Over 4L you say? Good think I have a 3.5L in the works, without all this fancy super small mobo and special PSUs ;)

Builds:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm willing to bet it'll be under 3 litres still.  We really don't need to add that much more space.  Also, I wouldn't bother printing the old one, what good would that be? :P

An old memory. Back to the smaller days :P

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Over 4L you say? Good think I have a 3.5L in the works, without all this fancy super small mobo and special PSUs ;)

I'm saying over 4 liters as a generous estimate :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 4/30/2018 at 2:21 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wont judge you for not having fully constrained sketches, ushing the hole command for holes instead of sketched circles and proper extrusion techniques.... much ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I wont judge you for not having fully constrained sketches, ushing the hole command for holes instead of sketched circles and proper extrusion techniques.... much ;) 

No no, nothing like that.  Everything is definitely constrained properly and I actually use extrude to make holes xD Although tbh, I would have thought that was the inferior option.  No, regardless I just feel it's a little bit of a mess, but maybe that's not even true... idk.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No no, nothing like that.  Everything is definitely constrained properly and I actually use extrude to make holes xD Although tbh, I would have thought that was the inferior option.  No, regardless I just feel it's a little bit of a mess, but maybe that's not even true... idk.

It's considered inferior because when designing parts for manufacturing, it's practice to use the Hole Callout command in the Drawing creation. This is useful for being able to call out the exact hole type; If it's threaded, counter sunk, if it's a pass thru hole or if there's an angle cut, etc. 

Image result for hole callout

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

It's considered inferior because when designing parts for manufacturing, it's practice to use the Hole Callout command in the Drawing creation. This is useful for being able to call out the exact hole type; If it's threaded, counter sunk, if it's a pass thru hole or if there's an angle cut, etc. 

Wait now you are saying the hole command is how you should do it?

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait now you are saying the hole command is how you should do it?

Yes thats what I meant, might have worded it loose in my first comment but yes for holes that actually matter you should be using the hole command. If they're slots or generic hole cutouts for something like a 120mm fan, it's probably not as important, but when you have to use an ISO or ANSI standard Hole Command is your friend.

image.png.7f4d33274d6d955e1e12f8a9988f03ff.png

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Yes thats what I meant, might have worded it loose in my first comment but yes for holes that actually matter you should be using the hole command. If they're slots or generic hole cutouts for something like a 120mm fan, it's probably not as important, but when you have to use an ISO or ANSI standard Hole Command is your friend.

Ah, well, I believe the only holes that actually will be receiving a screw directly are the 4 motherboard standoff holes, and perhaps a couple in my little 90° GPU mounting bracket, and a couple that will attach some USB ports (if that survives the redesign).  Literally everything else I can think of is just a cutout for a cooling vent, IO, or a slot so things are adjustable, which wouldn't apply.  I'll keep this in mind though :)

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, well, I believe the only holes that actually will be receiving a screw directly are the 4 motherboard standoff holes, and perhaps a couple in my little 90° GPU mounting bracket, and a couple that will attach some USB ports (if that survives the redesign).  Literally everything else I can think of is just a cutout for a cooling vent, IO, or a slot so things are adjustable, which wouldn't apply.  I'll keep this in mind though :)

Yeah those holes are fine. 

I believe the standoffs and most of the screws are #6-32 but I dont know if that includes the end that screws into the motherboard. That portion might be a coarser thread

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Yeah those holes are fine. 

I believe the standoffs and most of the screws are #6-32 but I dont know if that includes the end that screws into the motherboard. That portion might be a coarser thread

This might make you cringe, but I believe the way we're going to do it is just make them small enough that it'll grab, and then the act of turning them in will make the hole into the right type xD Ah, the benefits of working with relatively soft plastic

41 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This might make you cringe, but I believe the way we're going to do it is just make them small enough that it'll grab, and then the act of turning them in will make the hole into the right type xD Ah, the benefits of working with relatively soft plastic

Well If you're only using ABS then it's probably fine. I was under the assumption plans like these might actually be turned into metal constructions one day :P In that case I would make the hole the minimum diameter of the screw so that only the threads are cutting into the ABS/PLA/Whatever material you're printing in. Makes for the least amount of warping of the material you're cutting in while giving the threads maximum material (kinda like drilling a hole for wood)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Sorry it's taking so long. But, well, I've direct access to a 3D printer now. Of course though, the design is going through some changes. Full internal power now, and at 3.2 litres.

I'm so excited for you to finish!! itx builds are cool as hell and the challenge makes it more fun looking

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu