Politics Forum

Go to solution Solved by Slick,

957.gif

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

No, this will not happen. I'm not sure how anything will change - the talk about politics was banned because people behaved immaturely, and couldn't hold a civil discussion without flinging insults or treating someone like they're inferior, and this is the result of it. Understand that if people were willing to discuss political topics in a civil manner, this thread probably wouldn't exist at all, so consider this to be a consequence of the immature behavior. A political sub-forum would not result in anything different, nor would it improve the forum in any shape or form. 

But I don't understand what the aim is...?

To establish who's "wrong" and who's "right"...? 

How can that not just lead to an argument?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Why don't you use the powerful spaces known as "private messages" or "test posts"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

58 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Why don't you use the powerful spaces known as "private messages" or "test posts"?

If people create a political PM, that's just a time bomb waiting to happen since the Community Standards apply in PMs if reported, and you can bet someone will eventually.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That would basically require an unmoderated subforum, which is a terrible idea for many reasons, and places like that already exist elsewhere on the internet :P 

Other places aren't as polished as it is here though :/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That would basically require an unmoderated subforum, which is a terrible idea for many reasons, and places like that already exist elsewhere on the internet :P 

Oh come on Vickers, I know you want that /s

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

Oh come on Vickers, I know you want that /s

Wanting it, and it being a good thing for the health of the forum and LTT in general are very different things :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wanting it, and it being a good thing for the health of the forum and LTT in general are very different things :P 

So you're saying that:

Yes, I want it, but it won't do the community any good, or,

No, I don't want it, but it would do the community some good.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I will say it is a real shame that what I feel was a vocal minority had to ruin it for everyone. And why can't that vocal minority be punished over the majority?

Then again this is the internet so maybe that minority was actually a majority?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The forums can't even handle Intel vs. AMD....how the fuck does anyone think politics is a good idea. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

So you're saying that:

Yes, I want it, but it won't do the community any good, or,

No, I don't want it, but it would do the community some good.

It would be a horrible thing, and in seriousness, because of that, I don't want it, but at the same time, I can't help but be curious how that would go, and I can't deny it would be a fun experiment to watch xD 

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Intel vs. AMD

U wot m8?!

Spoiler

That's my shit-post for the minute.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

As it stands the mere mention of AMD next to Intel or Nvidia sends people to their primal roots and the convo starts off as hate and bashing and continues along that path (it depends on who writes the post) Politics and religion follows along that path too... No one wants to respect each others beliefs and opinions.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

As it stands the mere mention of AMD next to Intel or Nvidia sends people to their primal roots and the convo starts off as hate and bashing and continues along that path (it depends on who writes the post) Politics and religion follows along that path too... No one wants to respect each others beliefs and opinions.

20 hours ago, Mooshi said:

It's bad enough people get buttmad over Intel vs AMD, I don't want political bullshit causing pointless forum drama.

32 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The forums can't even handle Intel vs. AMD....how the fuck does anyone think politics is a good idea. 

You're just like AMD.....always late to the party gasping for air.

/joke

I thought I should spell it out for you....y'know, AMD fanboy and all

/joke

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're just like AMD.....always late to the party gasping for air.

Yup exact reason we can't have nice things on this planet

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

Yup exact reason we can't have nice things on this planet

I thought that was because of Intel.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I thought that was because of Intel.

Nah man, it's the lizard men I swaer

well if the subforum was only for people with 100+ posts like classified it would be much less toxic

8 minutes ago, Fungal said:

well if the subforum was only for people with 100+ posts like classified it would be much less toxic

Oh that's cute. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Oh that's cute. 

Image result for cute kitten

I think so, too.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Enderman said:

If you want to discuss politics then go to a politics forum or reddit.

There is no reason why this is necessary on a tech forum.

Reddit is an absolute cesspool for politics; echo chambers, groupthink, and downvote brigades. Plus edgy 18 year olds who think they're philosopher kings after taking an undergraduate Poli Sci class. 

HFboards has a well moderated politics section, and it's a hockey forum. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

13 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Reddit is an absolute cesspool for politics; echo chambers, groupthink, and downvote brigades. Plus edgy 18 year olds who think they're philosopher kings after taking an undergraduate Poli Sci class. 

HFboards has a well moderated politics section, and it's a hockey forum. 

Ok, good for them, we won't have a politics section on this tech forum for all those reasons you mentioned above.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

It was not a dumb idea, just no longer a relevant one since the few incidents that lead up to the decision to ban such discussions (I cant remember the incident(s) off hand or the picture mentioned above). I honestly likened to the idea but after reading what @Ryan_Vickers , @leadeater and @manikyath pointed out I have to side against the idea. We have had many good political and belief based discussions on this thread since I joined that lasted several tens of pages until that 1 or 2 individuals got involved and it spiraled down hard. I remember having to cut myself off from a few discussion in order to prevent from going to far myself. So yeah there is a fine line here but I believe as a whole the Moderators and Administrators have had enough attempting to put out to many fires that crossed the line in that arena. I also remember when it was taking up so much of their time just moderating those specific threads - way too tiring. I also remember losing a few good members due to some of those discussions :( 

discussing political views isnt only a right, it's a very important part of freedom of speech.

the problem is, that "discussing politics" is something that cant be done on the internet because people who thrive off being anonymous online love to spoil the party. i'd be seriously down for chatting politics with other people who can do it in a serious manner, but it just always turns into someone talking about "specific figures of WWII", having complete misconceptions about how other people live their lives, with no ears for what things are *actually* like.

just having a brief chat about politics with people from other parts of the world can change your view on a lot of things, even those close to home, but unfortunately public forums simply arent a place for that.

Another point that came into mind. Since political discussion needs to be moderated and moderators are humans too, we might get expanded reaction to moderating. By this I mean users thinking moderators are targeting them because their political views don't match. This is already a thing when users behaving badly claim moderator is bullying them. I know it might not happen in further extend, but using political or religious views as excuse is so much easier than admitting being wrong or acting childish.

3 hours ago, Fungal said:

Highly doubt that. Post count doesn't equal maturity as we see time to time.

4 hours ago, wcreek said:

I will say it is a real shame that what I feel was a vocal minority had to ruin it for everyone. And why can't that vocal minority be punished over the majority?

Then again this is the internet so maybe that minority was actually a majority?

What makes you think vocal minority isn't being punished as well? Ofc they are, more severe than silent majority who only looses ability to talk about certain things. The others loose their priledge to use forums as whole.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

AMD R5 1600 > i5

AMD RX 580 > GTX 1060

rip