Any tech you recommend for apartment security?

slayerming2

Hope this isn't considered off-topic.

So my apartment was robbed yesterday. Perpetrator stole my tv, headphones, xbox, and one blu ray. I got the Arlo pro camera on the recommendation of my co-workers. But feel it may not be enough. 

IDK, I live in a small apartment, but the area isn't that safe. I was considering getting another camera or installing some sensors. Anything you guys recommend?

edit: pretty happy with the arlo camera, may get another one. Just wanting to know if there's anything else you guys recommend?

3 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

So my apartment was robbed yesterday. Perpetrator stole my tv, headphones, xbox, and one blu ray. I got the Arlo pro camera on the recommendation of my co-workers. But feel it may not be enough. 

IDK, I live in a small apartment, but the area isn't that safe. I was considering getting another camera or installing some sensors. Anything you guys recommend?

Depends on what you want out of security.

You could get a cheap CCTV security kit that includes a DVR.

Or you could get a bunch of IP Security Cameras, and setup a Server as an NVR (Network Video Recorder) - or buy a pre-built NVR.

You could also get motion sensors - either independent ones that will just turn a light on or make an audible alarm, or you can get ones that will integrate into a larger security system.

Lastly, you could subscribe to a Security Monitoring system, like ADT, etc, that will have an alarm panel installed, and any alarm trips will automatically be sent to the alarm company who will call the police if no response is heard from you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

The Nest cameras are pretty great

Would you say their a lot better than Arlo's? Pretty happy with the video quality and the functionality with the app and online is pretty great. 

3 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

Would you say their a lot better than Arlo's? Pretty happy with the video quality and the functionality with the app and online is pretty great. 

Don't have any experience with them, but the nest applications and functions are super. Havent had any problems with them

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Don't have any experience with them, but the nest applications and functions are super. Havent had any problems with them

I have a friend who seems to love his, and it's a lot simpler than setting up your own IP cameras (unless you're into that, no shame in getting your hands dirty :P)

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Okay thanks will take a look!

3 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

I have found that the TT-33 Tokarev pistols are good for apartment security, I have seen some Russian military surplus of these go for pretty cheap.

Ehh, rather not get a gun. Though I may get a pepperspray of some sort.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Depends on what you want out of security.

You could get a cheap CCTV security kit that includes a DVR.

Or you could get a bunch of IP Security Cameras, and setup a Server as an NVR (Network Video Recorder) - or buy a pre-built NVR.

You could also get motion sensors - either independent ones that will just turn a light on or make an audible alarm, or you can get ones that will integrate into a larger security system.

Lastly, you could subscribe to a Security Monitoring system, like ADT, etc, that will have an alarm panel installed, and any alarm trips will automatically be sent to the alarm company who will call the police if no response is heard from you.

Honestly I would probably be fine with just three more sensors. Would want it for when I'm inside the apartment so everyone around me is notified that something is wrong.

Just now, Name Taken said:

Burgled is the correct term unless the perpetrator physically threatened you or something along that line. Cameras and sensors are not going to prevent someone from attempted breaking and entering. A weapon won't help if you're not in the apartment.

Fair enough. So what would you suggest?

1 minute ago, Wedsea040 said:

On a more serious note, how did they get into your apartment?

They broke the lock on my door and just walked in and took my stuff. There's only one lock above the door knob, nothing else. Cops think the guy who did it lives close by. 

3 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

I think that a new, stronger lock could help, like those really thick deadbolt locks. And then I would upgrade the thing that the lock bolt goes into.

lock.png.9cc749cc19249c3197728a8c371632e1.png

Not sure what that is called but mine was upgraded to this really thick and strong one. It's supposed to not be able to be kicked down/broken, like in the picture.

Damn yours was destroyed even more so than mine. Okay thanks!

31 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

That wasn't mine, just a picture from the internet. :P

I also wasn't broken into, my dad just found it a good idea to be prepared, and our police inspector neighbor said it was a good idea.

Ahh okay thanks!

1 hour ago, slayerming2 said:

edit: pretty happy with the arlo camera, may get another one. Just wanting to know if there's anything else you guys recommend?

Oh, A .50 cal Barrett and some AP rounds in case the guy on the other side of the apartment building it getting robbed by guys who are strangle visible through walls, 

Yours faithfully

Is a revolver considered tech for you? lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Reinforce your door jamb. <- Link to an example.

Cheap enough that you can just leave it in place when you move. The steel plate will stand up to some pretty good abuse. A burglar will likely move on to another apartment if he can't get in after a few kicks.

3 hours ago, Wedsea040 said:

I think that a new, stronger lock could help, like those really thick deadbolt locks. And then I would upgrade the thing that the lock bolt goes into.

lock.png.9cc749cc19249c3197728a8c371632e1.png

Not sure what that is called but mine was upgraded to this really thick and strong one. It's supposed to not be able to be kicked down/broken, like in the picture.

The locks usually are not the problem. It's the thin, wood and trim that the bolts go into. The unreinforced door and jamb break before even the most basic of deadbolts break.

Steel reinforced door & frame with a triple dead bolt, if you live on the ground floor some discrete window guards might be worthwhile if you are a bit para like me :D.

I spent £300 on my door and it was fitted by myself and my pal in 3 or 4 hours. Although we're both spanner monkeys, your experience may vary.

Looks just like a normal door but can't be broken down without some serious kit.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Since you're in a higher population density area that's ripe with targets you just need to look harder to break into than the places around you, put in a visible camera (maybe even a fake one) on the door. Make sure the door is solid and has a decent lock on. Get window bars if you're on the bottom floors. 

That's an F in the profile pic

Guard dog. Preferrably one that gets aggressive against those that threaten their family and home, but are cuddly dufuses otherwise. Rot Weilers, Doberman Pinschers, and German Shepards make for great guard dogs that are also family friendly and usually can be taken to the dog park.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

If you live in a horrible neighborhood like I use to, once the local gang knows you fix computers and will fix their stuff for free, you can leave your door wide open and everything will be as you left it.

Seriously, knowing your neighbors and having a good connection with those around you can go so much further than a camera.