Gamers Dating Gamers

FosterGuy

As others have already stated, the way that those particular surveys use "gamer" is skewed to anyone that plays any kind of game.

We wouldn't consider a gamer to be that 48yr old who plays an hour of clash of clans or farmville a week, but that's exactly what those surveys do.

From my own personal experience I've only ever dated a single person what anyone would consider gamer, and she never really played by herself, only ever when i was doing something. I've known quite a few girl gamers, especially in previous clans and guilds I've been head of. However it pales in comparison with the amount of guys i've known and played with. To call anyone who plays any kind of game a gamer, isn't wrong persay, but what the overwhelming majority of people consider to be a gamer would be the person who's invested themselves into the actual gaming culture.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Bitchis be lying, or play phone games, pft..

Even the community here maybe only has one girl.... And she's a tran :D

Depends on the games you play. Certain games attract higher numbers of women. But then most women are already taken etc so good luck with that. We play games for an escape so we don't really go into games looking for love.

Also I'm lesbian, so I'm stealing from my own supposed "50%" pool.

Most women who game aren't that attractive, tbh. On a purely physical level.

Crude generalization and subjective, yes. But...

I guess it also goes both ways. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

9 hours ago, WindirBear said:

Bitchis be lying, or play phone games, pft..

Even the community here maybe only has one girl.... And she's a tran :D

That's... not correct.

There are at least a half dozen women on the forums that I'm personally aware of. Beyond that? I suspect there are dozens if not hundreds of more who simply prefer to remain anonymous about their gender - I'm talking active users btw.

Remember, this forum has 400,000 users - and even if we assume only 10% are active, that's still 40,000-ish active users. If we assume only ONE PERCENT of those active users are female, that's still 400 users.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, FosterGuy said:

So here's the thing:  There are sources out there that say some 50% of the gaming community are women.  Where are they?  

I've dated numerous women throughout my 32 years, nearly been married twice.  Every single one of these women immediately thought I was a loser as soon as I started gaming.  

Perhaps I've just always had bad luck in this regard.  Anyways, I think there needs to be a service that puts Gamers together.  My dream is to be with a woman that loves gaming as much as I do.  It would be like a 24/7 LAN party (old school).

Thoughts?  Anyone else share this issue?  Much love!

those sources include casual games.. candy crush, facebook games, bejeweled, etc

if you play anything that isn't a casual game, you'd find it to be hard to find women... right?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's... not correct.

There are at least a half dozen women on the forums that I'm personally aware of. Beyond that? I suspect there are dozens if not hundreds of more who simply prefer to remain anonymous about their gender - I'm talking active users btw.

Remember, this forum has 400,000 users - and even if we assume only 10% are active, that's still 40,000-ish active users. If we assume only ONE PERCENT of those active users are female, that's still 400 users.

Wow, if those numbers were 100% true, you're only aware of a fraction of a fraction xD

5 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

Wow, if those numbers were 100% true, you're only aware of a fraction of a fraction xD

I certainly do admit that I am only aware of a fraction of a fraction. I don't pay particular attention to the majority of users here. And if you don't actively post pictures of yourself, etc, then I have no reasonable way of telling your gender.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, themctipers said:

those sources include casual games.. candy crush, facebook games, bejeweled, etc

if you play anything that isn't a casual game, you'd find it to be hard to find women... right?

Seems to be the case.

Back when I played MMOs and FPSs.  Dudes freaked out when they found out I was a gal (especially back in Halo 2).

Heck, the peeps who played on my Terreria and Minecraft servers at first thought I was a guy.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

Seems to be the case.

Back when I played MMOs and FPSs.  Dudes freaked out when they found out I was a gal (especially back in Halo 2).

Heck, the peeps who played on my Terreria and Minecraft servers at first thought I was a guy.

you assume everyone is a guy because finding a girl in a video game that's not casual is pretty rare

I mean, would you want to go around calling everyone a girl even though the norm is a guy?

I wouldn't freak out if there was a girl into games :) because there's bound to be people who are also into games that happen to be women.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

you assume everyone is a guy because finding a girl in a video game that's not casual is pretty rare

I mean, would you want to go around calling everyone a girl even though the norm is a guy?

I wouldn't freak out if there was a girl into games :) because there's bound to be people who are also into games that happen to be women.

Most of the freaking out was the fact I kept killing with them with plasma sword, grenades, and shot guns.  My Uncle got to the point he disliked going against me in FPS or fighting games.  Especially that one time were it was 1 vs 2.  Me against him and a friend, and I kept killing them with the sword.  :P

Now though, I rarely do FPS.  I kind of stick to single player strategy games.  Unless any of the family members dare to play a board game against me.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Most of the freaking out was the fact I kept killing with them with plasma sword, grenades, and shot guns.  My Uncle got to the point he disliked going against me in FPS or fighting games.  Especially that one time were it was 1 vs 2.  Me against him and a friend, and I kept killing them with the sword.  :P

Now though, I rarely do FPS.  I kind of stick to single player strategy games.  Unless any of the family members dare to play a board game against me.

I get salty easily, soo..

doesn't really matter what gender for me but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatever, that's me..

I would freak out if someone kept killing me with grenades/shotguns because I'm not used to that in csgo

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I really love it when you guys try to narrow down 'Gaming' to very specific subset of games and often tie specific cultural allegiances to it as well, ya know, like a cult.  Really, I love it, it's not really weird in the slightest.

lol let me tell ya from almost 1000 hours on call of duty as I was younger and about another 800 on pc (csgo tf2 other games) I've met maybe 45 girls

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

On 4/21/2017 at 10:45 AM, FosterGuy said:

So here's the thing:  There are sources out there that say some 50% of the gaming community are women.  Where are they?  

I've dated numerous women throughout my 32 years, nearly been married twice.  Every single one of these women immediately thought I was a loser as soon as I started gaming.  

Perhaps I've just always had bad luck in this regard.  Anyways, I think there needs to be a service that puts Gamers together.  My dream is to be with a woman that loves gaming as much as I do.  It would be like a 24/7 LAN party (old school).

Thoughts?  Anyone else share this issue?  Much love!

Guess I got lucky.  I met my wife playing World of Warcraft 11 years ago.  We'll be having our 7th anniversary here in June.  

My wife and I have very similar tastes when it comes to gaming.  We both love pc gaming but we also love consoles.  We do have every system from the Atari 2600 up to present day in our house.  I grew up with the Atari and the Original NES but my wife is from the SNES and the N64 era.  It was actually her younger brother who got us together.  We all ended up in the same Guild on WoW and well....we hit it off.  Next thing I know we're dating...then married with a son now.  And another on the way.  It is nice to have someone who understands the gaming aspect and has no issues with it.  Though my gaming has slowed down a bit in recent years with a small child in the house but late at night I can still play a few hours before I have to go to bed. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I've been married for 11 years. My wife likes watching me play games but plays very few herself. She mostly plays Pokemon and Zelda games, she got really into Dragon Age: Origins and we will whip out SWtOR and play together every once in awhile. We rarely talk about gaming though and the only gaming experience we ever shared while dating was playing some Mario Kart 64 a few times. I don't know that it's super important that you both be into the same things but it's probably pretty important that they don't think you're a loser because of your hobbies. 

On 2017-04-23 at 5:41 AM, AshleyAshes said:

I really love it when you guys try to narrow down 'Gaming' to very specific subset of games and often tie specific cultural allegiances to it as well, ya know, like a cult.  Really, I love it, it's not really weird in the slightest.

It makes sense though.

I am not going around calling myself a painter just because I occasionally paint something. When I think of a painter I think of someone who is really passionate about it and do it often and seriously. Not someone drawing a stick figure with a crayon.

When I think of a gamer I think of someone who is really passionate about games (not just one or two games, but games in a broader sense) and is serious about it. Not someone who plays Candy Crush on the toilet, and don't even know the standard FPS controls.

It's not just gamers that gets categorized this way. I used to play football (soccer for you people who don't know what a foot or ball is) during the breaks in school, but I never said I was a football player. Neither did anyone else. Because I didn't care about football other than occasionally enjoying it.

When an occasion becomes a noun then that noun usually only reference to a small subsection of all people who do it. If we just label everyone who has ever done something as a "gamer" or "football player" or "painter" or whatever you might think of, then the words becomes useless.

Words exist so that we can convey things to each other. If you want a word that encompasses every human being who occasionally play games then we already have a word for that group of people. It's called "everyone".

If you want to refer to people who are has playing games as their hobby and are passionate about it then we call them "gamers".

"People who are passionate about games" is too long, so we use "gamers" instead. It is an established term no matter if people like it or not.

The unfortunate truth is that many people think that techies are basically losers who are extremely addicted to their phones in one way or another.  This is very wrong, obviously.  Now, people who think that's what gamers are, as well, are probably kind of stupid.  It would honestly make more sense to me for someone to think of a console gamer when they hear the word "gamer".  But thinking of freaking Candy Crush every time they hear the word "gamer" or "video game" is just absurd.  I'm sorry...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

I mean I am but I'm also a guy and he's also a guy.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

12 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Wouldn't be lying if I said "same" for once.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It makes sense though.

I am not going around calling myself a painter just because I occasionally paint something. When I think of a painter I think of someone who is really passionate about it and do it often and seriously. Not someone drawing a stick figure with a crayon.

When I think of a gamer I think of someone who is really passionate about games (not just one or two games, but games in a broader sense) and is serious about it. Not someone who plays Candy Crush on the toilet, and don't even know the standard FPS controls.

It's not just gamers that gets categorized this way. I used to play football (soccer for you people who don't know what a foot or ball is) during the breaks in school, but I never said I was a football player. Neither did anyone else. Because I didn't care about football other than occasionally enjoying it.

When an occasion becomes a noun then that noun usually only reference to a small subsection of all people who do it. If we just label everyone who has ever done something as a "gamer" or "football player" or "painter" or whatever you might think of, then the words becomes useless.

Words exist so that we can convey things to each other. If you want a word that encompasses every human being who occasionally play games then we already have a word for that group of people. It's called "everyone".

If you want to refer to people who are has playing games as their hobby and are passionate about it then we call them "gamers".

"People who are passionate about games" is too long, so we use "gamers" instead. It is an established term no matter if people like it or not.

While you have a good point, there's one thing to consider.

Generally, when someone is talking about a "Painter", for example, they're talking about a professional, or at best, a really REALLY passionate hobbyist. I would think that's more akin to someone who is in the Pro eSports scene, or does tournaments and LAN parties, if we're using the same analogy.

But obviously, that's not really representative of what we mean. I have a Gaming PC. I have played hundreds (if not thousands) of PC Games. I own hundreds of them on Steam. Yet I basically never touch MP these days, and never go to LAN parties. Am I still a gamer? Yes of course.

The problem is that what you think of a Gamer is not necessarily what others think.

Take this statement, for example:

When I think of a gamer I think of someone who is really passionate about games (not just one or two games, but games in a broader sense)

Specifically, when you refer to not "one or two games".

So, if I'm someone who loves the shit out of LoL and WoW, but don't play other games, I'm not a gamer? I don't think that's accurate.

The problem with "Gamer" is that it's not a strict definition. It's different to different people.

I think in the basic sense, a Gamer is someone who loves to play video games. That game could be League, or DOTA, or Battlefield, or WoW, or GTAV, or it could be more casual games too.

Honestly, the type of game it is, should not even factor into this at all. Furthermore, whether someone knows, as you say, the basic FPS controls should also not matter at all. What if I'm a gamer who hates FPS games, but loves Racing Sims and diablo-style point-and-click hack and slash adventure games? Am I suddenly no longer a gamer simply because you decide I should know FPS controls? What if I'm a console Gamer who plays all the same AAA games as a PC gamer would, but I've never used a keyboard for gaming before?

Can you see the limitations of your views?

15 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

I don't follow.  

Just now, FosterGuy said:

I don't follow.  

I believe that ShadowTech is implying that he's dating another Gamer, but it's the person linked in the spoiler tags.

This is of course, vague and not specific, so I could be mistaken.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I believe that ShadowTech is implying that he's dating another Gamer, but it's the person linked in the spoiler tags.

This is of course, vague and not specific, so I could be mistaken.

Ahh, I'm tracking now.  

Generally, when someone is talking about a "Painter", for example, they're talking about a professional, or at best, a really REALLY passionate hobbyist.

Yes, and generally when someone is talking about a "gamer", they're talking about someone who is really passionate about games. Not some 70 year old women who plays Candy Crush.

The problem is that what you think of a Gamer is not necessarily what others think.

But that's exactly what the person I replied to did too. The difference is that there is a very distinct difference between labeling everyone as a gamer, even my grandma because she plays canasta once every week, and using the same terms as the market has established. When Corsair says they want to make a gaming headset, who do you think their target audience is? The 15 year old who plays CoD everyday, or my grandma? When they make that stupid ass "gaming energy drinks" who do you their target demographic is? My grandma or the 15 year old CoD player?

I think we all, even those who claim that the largest portion of "gamers" are ~40 year old women, have some sense of what a "real gamer" (or whatever you want to call them) is, and most 40 year old women do not fit that image.

Specifically, when you refer to not "one or two games".

So, if I'm someone who loves the shit out of LoL and WoW, but don't play other games, I'm not a gamer? I don't think that's accurate.

That's up for debate. I am not saying that there is a set of criteria like "you need to care and actively play a minimum of 3 games in order to be a gamer". But earlier in the post you said that you have played hundreds if not thousands of games. If you have ever only played LoL and WoW, but have 0 experience with other games then to me, you're not a gamer. To me, gamer refers to a specific group of people I am not even sure I would consider myself a part of anymore.

Where you draw the line between gamer and non-gamer varies from person to person. But when someone says that 60+ year old women makes up a big portion of the gamer demographic, then you know that their definition of a "gamer" is widely different from everyone else's. We're not talking about "am I not a gamer because I only play WoW and LoL?". We're talking about "am I not a gamer because I only play bingo once a week?".

The problem with a lot of the studies out there is that they come up with a conclusion and then hunt evidence to support it. That's why you end up with numbers like "frequent video gamer buyers" instead of statistics which actually shows who plays games. Because when you count who buys the games but not who plays them, you get a lot of moms who buy it for their children, thus raising the average age a lot (and generally also skews the results towards the mothers instead of the fathers).

I think in the basic sense, a Gamer is someone who loves to play video games. That game could be League, or DOTA, or Battlefield, or WoW, or GTAV, or it could be more casual games too.

Yes, but that's like saying a painter is in the basic sense someone who loves to draw and paint things. That could be my 2 year old niece who just a few days ago decided to draw with a crayon on my sister's living room wall. She did paint, so therefore she is a painter.

The problem is that when you go by the "basic sense" definition words lose their meaning. We are already seeing the effects of watering down the term "gamer" because now we need to say "hardcore gamer" or "core gamer" for something that was usually called "gamer". The phrase was watered down so much that now there is a new phrase which meaning is the same as the original phrase.

It's just unnecessary and confusing.

Honestly, the type of game it is, should not even factor into this at all. Furthermore, whether someone knows, as you say, the basic FPS controls should also not matter at all. What if I'm a gamer who hates FPS games, but loves Racing Sims and diablo-style point-and-click hack and slash adventure games? Am I suddenly no longer a gamer simply because you decide I should know FPS controls? What if I'm a console Gamer who plays all the same AAA games as a PC gamer would, but I've never used a keyboard for gaming before?

I think the type of game should matter. People who play Solitaire should not be bundled up with the same people who play CS:GO. And they aren't, except by those who want to inflate the number of female gamers there are.

And no, I don't think you can call yourself a gamer if you don't even know are the standard movement controls in an FPS (I never specified keyboard/mouse controls, but I'd go as far as to include that). If you are interested in games enough to call yourself a gamer, then you will at some point have picked up that knowledge. Even people who play on consoles knows about PC games to some degree.