Man gets dragged off a plane (old, I know)

AniJan

(Note: I'm sorry if this kind of news is not allowed. I was only informed that politics were officially excluded. If there were any previous changes in standards, please inform me)

I was a bit delayed and did not discover this until now.. absolutely shocked. 

Thoughts? Also, has United Airlines done something this impetuous before..?

I've also heard that the man sued the company. Expected value returned is at least $7,000,000, right?

Source??

Quote??

Since this is off topic you don't have to follow a set guideline to post here.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Source??

Quote??

oh lol i forgot.

13 minutes ago, AniJan said:

(Note: I'm sorry if this kind of news is not allowed. I was only informed that politics were officially excluded. If there were any previous changes in standards, please inform me)

I was a bit delayed and did not discover this until now.. absolutely shocked. 

Thoughts? Also, has United Airlines done something this impetuous before..?

I've also heard that the man sued the company. Expected value returned is at least $7,000,000, right?

Did you also read the news where one of their passengers was bitten by a scorpion? UA is not having any good days lately.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

The thing I absolutely hate about this story is how everyone is misinformed on who touched who. What happened was that the crew called Airport police to remove the passenger as he was not complying. The police showed up and from there, the crew of United Airlines was no longer in control of the situation. Overbooking is an everyday occurrence in the airline industry and is certainty not the issue here. People (cough social justice warriors) are just using this entire situation as a scapegoat to complain about a practice that is "immoral" but is often solved one site without incident and most passengers don't take personally.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Good thing I don't have any shares with them.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I sure do miss the days when air travel was treated as a luxury and airline employees treated you with respect and passengers dressed nicely on the plane instead of wearing shorts and t-shirts and flip flops.

These were the days

151211121943-vintage-airtravel-3c-super-

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

A doctor who had booked this flight weeks in advance, on his way back to perform a surgery has his face slammed into a seat's arm rest, and is left bloodied and unconscious, dragged off the plane by security. All because United wanted to get three of its own staff onto that plane for a flight at the next airport, after they had already fully booked it. Instead of stopping people at the gate, they waited until they had already boarded. United wants to shove this off onto the security detail to try and mitigate the blame, when they themselves are at fault.

You don't blame the gun for shooting someone, do you? It was their own mistakes that lead to that situation.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The thing I absolutely hate about this story is how everyone is misinformed on who touched who. What happened was that the crew called Airport police to remove the passenger as he was not complying. The police showed up and from there, the crew of United Airlines was no longer in control of the situation. Overbooking is an everyday occurrence in the airline industry and is certainty not the issue here. People (cough social justice warriors) are just using this entire situation as a scapegoat to complain about a practice that is "immoral" but is often solved one site without incident and most passengers don't take personally.

Regardless, it's still immoral.

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Since this is off topic you don't have to follow a set guideline to post here.

That's not entirely true. We do have requirements for Off Topic.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

That's not entirely true. We do have requirements for Off Topic.

Mostly the CS, right?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

6 minutes ago, Atmos said:

All because United wanted to get three of its own staff onto that plane for a flight at the next airport,

It wasn't even United personnel, from what I understand.  They were providing travel for a crew from another airline.  I'll see if I can find the story that mentioned that.

*EDIT*
Hmm, seems I may have misunderstood.  It seems they may have actually been United personnel after all.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Mostly the CS, right?

That applies universally, but we also have this particular thread for Off Topic: 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

13 minutes ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

I sure do miss the days when air travel was treated as a luxury and airline employees treated you with respect and passengers dressed nicely on the plane instead of wearing shorts and t-shirts and flip flops.

These were the days

151211121943-vintage-airtravel-3c-super-

Too bad Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, Northwest is all dead....damm you 1978. 

7 minutes ago, AniJan said:

Regardless, it's still immoral.

It was immoral. But the entire thing was blown way out of proportion. What United did was business as usual, their involvement ended the moment the crew had to call to get the individual removed from the flight. Force doesn't necessarily mean it immediately goes to violence as it had in this scenario. It is important to point out the ongoing police brutality controversy with Chicago law enforcement at the time. It could've been American Airlines instead of United any day. Heck I was bumped off a Cathay Pacific flight once. Even though United has since apologized for the event, look where we're at now. Every day, articles involving something a United crew allegedly did. Most of which are most likely fake reports from passengers and media who just want to cash in this viral topic.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It was immoral. But the entire thing was blown way out of proportion. What United did was business as usual, their involvement ended the moment the crew had to call to get the individual removed from the flight. Force doesn't necessarily mean it immediately goes to violence as it had in this scenario. It is important to point out the ongoing police brutality controversy with Chicago law enforcement at the time. It could've been American Airlines instead of United any day. Heck I was bumped off a Cathay Pacific flight once. Even though United has since apologized for the event, look where we're at now. Every day, articles involving something a United crew allegedly did. Most of which are most likely fake reports from passengers and media who just want to cash in this viral topic.

Well, they could've handled it much better than dragging a distressed person off the plane forcibly.

All I know is that the moment you bought the ticket you had a right to be on that plain contractually. Not sure if their policy states they can break a business contract because they failed to manage their employees. Either way the moment you brutalize a dude for not wanting to leave that's bad judgment. That's what happens when you let rent a cops try to do real police work. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Typical 'Murica stuff. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Edit: nevermind that part... apparently reading is harder than I thought!

Except, your version isn't right either, there was no overbooking, UA made that clear on a few occasions. Nobody was refused at the gate.

What makes sense (?) starts here :D

This passenger wasn't refused boarding, and UA own "contract of carriage" doesn't cover removing a passenger because they need to accommodate for other passengers (in this case, their own employees).

They're 100% in the wrong on how they dealt with the situation. They legally still had the option to offer a lot more money and compensation for the seats but decided to use force instead.

They are officially saying that they had the right to forcefully remove him, but from lawyers that looked at UA contract of carriage, seems like this specific situation isn't clearly stated, so it's very probable they'll lose the case (IMO they'll settle for a few hundred Ks) and they'll have to amend their contract of carriage to include "after the fact overbooking", or "accommodating for employees". ;)

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Except, your version isn't right either, there was no overbooking, UA made that clear on a few occasions. Nobody was refused at the gate.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Overbooking is an everyday occurrence in the airline industry and is certainty not the issue here.

I used to be quite active here.

Off topic: I wonder if @wkdpaul will be joining the new icon craze since his icon is similar.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

IMG_5206.GIF

I don't know what's more depressing: the fact that I know what series the GIF is from or the empathy that I feel.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I don't know what's more depressing: the fact that I know what series the GIF is from or the empathy that I feel.

VeggieTales is an untapped gold mine of memes. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Lol yeah, that happens when replying on a phone while riding a bus back home! xD

My bad!!! :(

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Off topic: I wonder if @wkdpaul will be joining the new icon craze since his icon is similar.

Nope ... I feel my avatar is appropriate when people receive a warning from me! :D

21 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

All I know is that the moment you bought the ticket you had a right to be on that plain contractually. Not sure if their policy states they can break a business contract because they failed to manage their employees. Either way the moment you brutalize a dude for not wanting to leave that's bad judgment. That's what happens when you let rent a cops try to do real police work. 

It's called a Contract of carriage, it covers overbooking but specifies that the customer will be refused boarding, there nothing in there that specifies what happens when the customer isn't refused boarding...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !