Safely Remove Warranty Stickers

nicklmg
1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

While I agree its a fine video topic as im all for the right to repair, the fact it's an LTT video shouldn't have anything to do with it. Reminds me a little of a certain George Orwell quote. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

Good, so the next time someone asks how to get Windows for free, I'll be sure to mention that it's illegal after explaining how to get the .iso and crack it. 

And no, it's the exact same thing.

There's another difference between this and hackintosh imo (well, based on something that was already mentioned).

Hackintosh is disallowed because it goes against Apple's ToS, even though it's not illegal.  You might say that removing these stickers is the same, but I disagree.  I'm no legal expert, but I see it like this: Apple is free to choose what hardware they want their software to run on since that doesn't conflict with any other laws.  These stickers however are a different story.  Since it's illegal for the companies to behave in the way they do, their ToS's are null and void, so it's not a problem.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

In many countries including the it's illegal to void the warranty if you take your device apart or preform your own repairs, assuming there is a defect in the product. 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

There's another difference between this and hackintosh imo (well, based on something that was already mentioned).

Hackintosh is disallowed because it goes against Apple's ToS, even though it's not illegal.  You might say that removing these stickers is the same, but I disagree.  I'm no legal expert, but I see it like this: Apple is free to choose what hardware they want their software to run on since that doesn't conflict with any other laws.  These stickers however are a different story.  Since it's illegal for the companies to behave in the way they do, their ToS's are null and void, so it's not a problem.

I don't mind the whole mackintosh thing, just the idea  'because LTT video' it's allowed. I understand they should rule supreme on here and its not a democracy but it would be nice to know they should be playing by the same rules as us. 

Just now, KE2012 said:

I don't mind the whole mackintosh thing, just the idea  'because LTT video' it's allowed. I understand they should rule supreme on here and its not a democracy but it would be nice to know they should be playing by the same rules as us. 

I agree - as I've said a couple times in this thread, if the mods think it's against CoC then they should remove the thread. It's not fair to give our posts preferential treatment.

And as I said on the previous page, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't make a video about something - just that it shouldn't be posted here if it's against CoC.

Just now, KE2012 said:

ok let's get to that.  There seem to be an impression, for one reason or another, that they can make what they want and are above the rules.  Now, I don't mean to tell them what videos they can and can't make, but imo they should be - and are - held to the same standard as everyone else.  To preemptively dismiss some possible counter arguments:

• Hackintosh: as mentioned, they made that video well before the rule on the forum came into affect
  • How to unlock any windows computer: it's not really hacking when it's that easy, is it?  It's like telling someone how to pull out a HDD that was "locked down" using windows permissions but not encrypted and read it using Linux
  • This video: as mentioned, it's not illegal to do, and it's not the same as hackintosh.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ok let's get to that.  There seem to be an impression, for one reason or another, that they can make what they want and are above the rules.  Now, I don't mean to tell them what videos they can and can't make, but imo they should be - and are - held to the same standard as everyone else.  To preemptively dismiss some possible counter arguments:

• Hackintosh: as mentioned, they made that video well before the rule on the forum came into affect
  • How to unlock any windows computer: it's not really hacking when it's that easy, is it?  It's like telling someone how to pull out a HDD that was "locked down" using windows permissions but not encrypted and read it using Linux
  • This video: as mentioned, it's not illegal to do, and it's not the same as hackintosh.

Yeah that is fine, and all rosy. My concern was this exact line,  "And that's completely aside from the fact it's an LTT video..." which when put in context sounded like you were saying because its LTT video the rule book went out the window.

But good to know we are on the same page now! 

Just now, KE2012 said:

Yeah that is fine, and all rosy. My concern was this exact line,  "And that's completely aside from the fact it's an LTT video..." which when put in context sounded like you were saying because its LTT video the rule book went out the window.

But good to know we are on the same page now! 

In hindsight, that wasn't the best thing to write.  It was unclear and massively open to interpretation.

I thought it was illegal for these to even be on a device, at least in the US due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Imo, don't want the warranty sticker, then diy. That way you won't have any of them and you can repair as much as you like. 

Items that does have warranty sticker, if your product is still under warranty, why waste time trying to fix it yourself, when you can just send it back and get it done for free. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

believe that this all is a part of the whole right to repair debate

also dont turn it on take it apart

yeahyuz

what about EU?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

It would actually have been hilarious if one of the mods did close the thread lol

anyways about the video, I suppose people should buy EVGA so they don't have to worry about warranty? :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I actually learned something from a Linus Tech Tips video, it's been months since that happened. Nice video, obnoxious thumbnail, click-bait title though. 

1 hour ago, iPolymer said:

I actually learned something from a Linus Tech Tips video, it's been months since that happened. Nice video, obnoxious thumbnail, click-bait title though. 

Huh... titling a video about how to safely remove warranty stickers "Safely Remove Warranty Stickers" is clickbait.

TIL!

On 4/18/2017 at 1:01 AM, nicklmg said:

-snip-

I expected it to kinda be like the "how to lose 5 pounds fast"/ "electric companies hate him" kind of ordeals, but yea I hyperbole-ed it.