Safely Remove Warranty Stickers

nicklmg

What is the best way to safely remove warranty stickers so you can repair your own stuff without voiding your warranty?

Buy sticker removal tools on Speedcubeshop.com: http://geni.us/hWqYLJ

Buy heat gun on Amazon: http://geni.us/KHkV7

Buy kettle on Amazon: http://geni.us/hejERi

Buy solvent on Amazon: http://geni.us/L0il

Buy electrostatic bag on Amazon: http://geni.us/n08p

Buy teflon knife on Amazon: http://geni.us/ZS5Nuyf

Buy rubbing alcohol on Amazon: http://geni.us/2uPGIje

Buy razor blades (not Razer Blades) on Amazon: http://geni.us/nqxlIi

Shouldn't this fall into the same restriction that says no talking about piracy? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Cool.

Get it? You want to remove your cooler to water cool your GPU, so it's cooler, but you don't want to void your warranty...OK I'll stop now.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Shouldn't this fall into the same restriction that says no talking about piracy? 

U can't break rules when u r the one making it

Only need to hire some Russian hackers to get infinite amount of warranty and I'm set for life!

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

We outline the legal situation pretty clearly in the video (at least as it pertains to US law) :) 

If you break "Warranty void if removed" sticker, then you are still good - it wasn't removed.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

We outline the legal situation pretty clearly in the video (at least as it pertains to US law) :) 

Still, if we can't talking about Piracy, Hackintoshing, etc... on the forums, then you really shouldn't be able to post a video about something similarly "illegal".

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Still, I we can't talking about Piracy or Hackintoshing on the forums, then you really shouldn't be able to post a video about it. 

Not exactly sure how you'd equate this to piracy. "Def: 2. the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc." (dictionary.com)

This video isn't about reproducing or unlawfully sharing information or work, it's about utilizing your legal right to open and/or repair your own devices...

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Still, if we can't talking about Piracy, Hackintoshing, etc... on the forums, then you really shouldn't be able to post a video about something similarly "illegal".

These "Warranty Void" stickers are technically illegal, because of a court decision in the 70s to allow consumers to make their own repairs to avoid anti-consumer practices of forcing the customer to go to the company's repair shops to charge them out the ass.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal

The reason why nobody's brought this up is because well, it'll be an expensive fight. And that few people actually know this is a right.

However, I'm also certain its within the company's right to refuse to honor a warranty for any arbitrary reason that wasn't explicitly stated in your warranty contract.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Not exactly sure how you'd equate this to piracy. "Def: 2. the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc." (dictionary.com)

This video isn't about reproducing or unlawfully sharing information or work, it's about utilizing your legal right to open and/or repair your own devices...

It's the same idea as hackintoshing. Both are against the TOS of the company. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's the same idea as hackintoshing. Both are against the TOS. 

Don't you have anything more productive to do?

Just now, Matu20 said:

Don't you have anything more productive to do?

Don't you have anything more productive to do that commenting on my lack of productive things to do? 

And I'm in the hospital for a few weeks, so no, not really. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's the same idea as hackintoshing. Both are against the TOS of the company. 

K. Well Mods can feel free to lock the thread if they feel it goes against CoC of the forum.

CC:
@airdeano

@Ryan_Vickers

@colonel_mortis

39 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

K. Well Mods can feel free to lock the thread if they feel it goes against CoC of the forum.

CC:
@airdeano

@Ryan_Vickers

@colonel_mortis

As mentioned in the video, it's not illegal to remove the stickers, and in fact, it's actually illegal for companies to even add them, so I say go to town.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

As mentioned in the video, it's not illegal to remove the stickers, and in fact, it's actually illegal for companies to even add them, so I say go to town.

And that's completely aside from the fact it's an LTT video...

Whether it's an LTT video or not, if Mods feel it's against the CoC of the forum feel free to do whatever is necessary with the thread. I'll leave it to you guys to make the judgement call, you're much more knowledgeable on what is cool/not cool here than I am :) 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's another thing that annoys me, why are hackintosh videos from LTT okay, but talking about hackintoshing isn't. LMG should be forced to adhere to the same limits that are placed on the forum.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's another thing that pisses me off, why are hackintosh videos from LTT okay, but talking about hackintoshing isn't. LMG should be forced to adhere to the same limits that are placed on the forum.

For one thing, that video was made well before the rule came into effect

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i was about to say the LGM looks like a makeshift isis training camp .. but I won't

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's another thing that annoys me, why are hackintosh videos from LTT okay, but talking about hackintoshing isn't. LMG should be forced to adhere to the same limits that are placed on the forum.

Kinda beside the point, but I think we've made one Hackintosh video ever lol.

But I agree - if it's not acceptable for viewers to discuss/debate the topic then we shouldn't post on the forum about it either.

Doesn't mean we won't make a video about it as that's totally separate from what we do here on the forum in most cases, but again, I leave it to the mods to determine what to do with the threads here.

LMG = ISIS.  THIS IS FAKE NEWS xDxDxD

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

While I agree its a fine video topic as im all for the right to repair, the fact it's an LTT video shouldn't have anything to do with it. Reminds me a little of a certain George Orwell quote. 

20 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We outline the legal situation pretty clearly in the video (at least as it pertains to US law)

Good, so the next time someone asks how to get Windows for free, I'll be sure to mention that it's illegal after explaining how to get the .iso and crack it. 

And no, it's the exact same thing.  By removing the stickers you ARE voiding the warranty and most likely breaking the EULA you agreed to by using the device.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Good, so the next time someone asks how to get Windows for free, I'll be sure to mention that it's illegal after explaining how to get the .iso and crack it. 

And no, it's the exact same thing.

Using your legal right to open a product that you paid for = theft.

TIL!

Just now, nicklmg said:

legal right

Yes, it is your legal right to open it.  But not to hide that by replacing the labels.