Apple admits that 2013 Mac Pro had problems, Promises a Radical new Modular Mac Pro for next year

On 04/04/2017 at 2:44 PM, Shepanator said:

So apple is finally going to create new hardware for actual pros and not starbucks pros?

good news, I guess. Especially about the macbook pro. I'll probably still never buy one.

This kind of comment really makes me doubt the tech understanding of people who frequent tech forums, and how much of it is "i hert appl iz bad so they mus b bad loool". You weren't the only one, @alexyy made some ignorant remark about these costing over 2 grand for an i5

These machines had 6 or 8 Core Sandy Bridge Xeons and two AMD FirePro W9000 GPUs and altogether cost less than a single W9000 were you to buy it to build a Windows or Linux workstation for yourself, and did it in a ridiculously small form factor. They were obscenely good value to buy, and the rendering and computational horsepower in there is still monstrous by today's standard.

The idea that you could "build this yourself and save $600" as @Erbyy claims is frankly laughable. When they were new these GPUs cost $4000. Each. 

But yeah by all means, not at all anything a pro would be interested in.

10 hours ago, othertomperson said:

This kind of comment really makes me doubt the tech understanding of people who frequent tech forums, and how much of it is "i hert appl iz bad so they mus b bad loool". You weren't the only one, @alexyy made some ignorant remark about these costing over 2 grand for an i5

These machines had 6 or 8 Core Sandy Bridge Xeons and two AMD FirePro W9000 GPUs and altogether cost less than a single W9000 were you to buy it to build a Windows or Linux workstation for yourself, and did it in a ridiculously small form factor. They were obscenely good value to buy, and the rendering and computational horsepower in there is still monstrous by today's standard.

The idea that you could "build this yourself and save $600" as @Erbyy claims is frankly laughable. When they were new these GPUs cost $4000. Each. 

Actually came with Ivy Bridge-which is why it still holds up rather well today. 

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-eight-core-3.0-xeon-e5-gray-black-cylinder-late-2013-specs.html

They also were fantastic value as you mentioned. Their biggest issue was the non upgradable GPUs. Although people forget AMD provided no options for Apple there. The only GPUs available until Polaris were Hawaii and Fiji. All far too hot and power hungry to be tuned or fit into the enclosure. 

It's the main reason I ended up going to a custom x99 build, and bloody hell do I miss the MP for some stuff. 

CW0o0bO.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

7 hours ago, othertomperson said:

You seem a little salty, I'd avoid taking the internet seriously it's bad for you.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

On 4/4/2017 at 4:44 PM, Shepanator said:

So apple is finally going to create new hardware for actual pros and not starbucks pros?

good news, I guess. Especially about the macbook pro. I'll probably still never buy one.

Like they already did before the "trash can" concept for years? 

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

9 hours ago, othertomperson said:

Mom told me to hate on Apple, so I'll just close my ears to facts.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Modular huh? Would love to get the new case and fit in a custom PC. It's rare that Apple admits fault but the market just didn't go where they predicted, they made a bet and lost. I wish more companies would push the envelope and innovate like they do but unfortunately not all companies are as rich as Apple.

On 04/04/2017 at 7:11 PM, dexT said:

Got one in January, except an OEM not engineering sample (supposedly used, but doesnt appear to have actually been used). It worked out to about USD300.00-USD325.00 once converted from GBP. It is brilliant for what I do with it and runs super cool too - under 40c when under a full BOINC load with a EK Predator attached, on all threads.

7 hours ago, alexyy said:

You seem a little salty, I'd avoid taking the internet seriously it's bad for you.

Not salty, just someone who likes tech and has no time or patience for pathetic brand tribalism

2 hours ago, IntMD said:

Got one in January, except an OEM not engineering sample (supposedly used, but doesnt appear to have actually been used). It worked out to about USD300.00-USD325.00 once converted from GBP. It is brilliant for what I do with it and runs super cool too - under 40c when under a full BOINC load with a EK Predator attached, on all threads.

I'm jelly. It was hands down the best CPU for the money.

On 07/04/2017 at 2:02 AM, othertomperson said:

snippity

I was more talking about macbook pros than the trashcan with my post, which as you said did have some compelling reasons to buy it, but a windows workstation or older mac pros offered upgradability, which is a huge deal. Being able to extend the life of a workstation with incremental upgrades is much better value compared to having to buy a whole new pc when the parts are no longer adequate.

26 minutes ago, Shepanator said:

I was more talking about macbook pros than the trashcan with my post, which as you said did have some compelling reasons to buy it, but a windows workstation or older mac pros offered upgradability, which is a huge deal. Being able to extend the life of a workstation with incremental upgrades is much better value compared to having to buy a whole new pc when the parts are no longer adequate.

I disagree when the cost of the "trashcan" as you put it is such a small fraction of the cost of the parts. It would actually be much cheaper to buy a new Mac Pro when they released one than to spend $8000 just on replacing the GPUs.

I know what you were talking about, I just highlighted your attempt to derail a thread about the Mac Pros and its replacement for what it was.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:23 PM, Flavio hc 16 said:

http://pascaleggert.de/macpro.html

I WANT IT

Now...seriously, i would love a mac pro like this.

I don't  know how it should cool the cpu though, and also the 2 gpus, but thats a little problem

There are a couple of other problems: there's no way in hell Apple would put USB 3 and Thunderbolt 2 on a computer that's not going to ship until 2018 at the earliest, and it wouldn't boast about those SSD speeds when you can actually get faster using its current hardware (I know the point would be upgradability, it's more a marketing thing).

As it is, I suspect Apple would want slots for more than just a dedicated GPU or two.  A core complaint about the current Mac Pro is that you can't add any pro cards, not just graphics.  I wouldn't be surprised if the finished product is more an evolution of conventional tower design than an in-between product like this.

On 4/6/2017 at 7:02 PM, othertomperson said:

First of all cupcake i didn't say you could build a replica mac pro for 600 bucks. Do it yourself if you have an ounce of common sense and SAVE yourself tons of money with the do it yourself equivalent.

Regardless of the Kabby Cake or Sandy Cringe Zeltron CPU's in those metal toilets, you can go pick yourself up any processor on the market Such as Ryzen's Line up or intels i7 K Series Lineup without compromising any sort of performance.  

Since I'm getting the whole "Well it says apple? That Justifies the Hike in prices? Sounds good. I'll disregard any incoming logic" Vibe from you. Because anyone who NEEDS a mac pro with max specs and the whole 9 yards in a Supremely small form factor? Its unrealistic. I could go build a $2,000 system, that actually looks GOOD, and with 2 graphics cards in SLI mode, and i could produce, render, create, master, mix, produce, record, stream, just as well if not better. So you're superiority complex is irrelevant. 

Instead of riding Apples crotch wagon, open your horizons and redefine your definition of what an ignorant comment is, when its true that these specs, THESE SPECS right here are the cause for argument?! 
6Core 3.5ghz cpu
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage

These specs, within this form factor are sub par to my build on my desk right now for half the price. 3 flippin grand man? This is truly pathetic. 
I cant wait to spend what ive worked hard for on tech that is almost 5 years old for a decent used vehicle premium... 

(New mac pro)

Looking at the specs for the apple pro going to be out sometime within the near future is impressive, i wont lie. 
http://pascaleggert.de/macpro.html listed here and im sure its well deep in the 5 figure price range. But, for the price. The tech, and the overall package.
I would commend this is it was priced realistically within the pc market. Which it being apple... will have a 30-40% markup before it hits retail.

Rant over.  

24 minutes ago, Erbyy said:

First of all cupcake i didn't say you could build a replica mac pro for 600 bucks. Do it yourself if you have an ounce of common sense and SAVE yourself tons of money with the do it yourself equivalent.

Regardless of the Kabby Cake or Sandy Cringe Zeltron CPU's in those metal toilets, you can go pick yourself up any processor on the market Such as Ryzen's Line up or intels i7 K Series Lineup without compromising any sort of performance.  

Since I'm getting the whole "Well it says apple? That Justifies the Hike in prices? Sounds good. I'll disregard any incoming logic" Vibe from you. Because anyone who NEEDS a mac pro with max specs and the whole 9 yards in a Supremely small form factor? Its unrealistic. I could go build a $2,000 system, that actually looks GOOD, and with 2 graphics cards in SLI mode, and i could produce, render, create, master, mix, produce, record, stream, just as well if not better. So you're superiority complex is irrelevant. 

Instead of riding Apples crotch wagon, open your horizons and redefine your definition of what an ignorant comment is, when its true that these specs, THESE SPECS right here are the cause for argument?! 
6Core 3.5ghz cpu

These specs, within this form factor are sub par to my build on my desk right now for half the price. 3 flippin grand man? This is truly pathetic. 
I cant wait to spend what ive worked hard for on tech that is almost 5 years old for a decent used vehicle premium... 

(New mac pro)

Looking at the specs for the apple pro going to be out sometime within the near future is impressive, i wont lie. 
http://pascaleggert.de/macpro.html listed here and im sure its well deep in the 5 figure price range. But, for the price. The tech, and the overall package.
I would commend this is it was priced realistically within the pc market. Which it being apple... will have a 30-40% markup before it hits retail.

Rant over.  

Wipe the froth from your mouth and come back when you can form a coherent thought.

Your $2000 budget wouldn't even cover one of those GPUs if you were to buy them from AMD for a Windows/Linux machine, let alone the rest of the system.

As for your inane ranting about it not containing Ryzen back in 2013... well that sums up everything you've said so far really.

Can't wait for the $1,200 top-end proprietary-connection unibody Apple D480, which will totally not be a slightly modified RX480 in an aluminum block.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of trouble seeing Apple as anything but a joke at this point. Who really thinks they're going to make the new Mac Pros truly user-serviceable?
And who else couldn't help but either cringe or laugh when they called the 5K iMac "incredibly powerful?"

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

31 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Wipe the froth from your mouth and come back when you can form a coherent thought.

Your $2000 budget wouldn't even cover one of those GPUs if you were to buy them from AMD for a Windows/Linux machine, let alone the rest of the system.

As for your inane ranting about it not containing Ryzen back in 2013... well that sums up everything you've said so far really.

Back at it with the Superiority complex.

I see, its all good. Either way I could sit here and compose a parts list from 2 grand to even 5 grand that would stomp the living daylights out of that trash can and you would sit there and poke fun at the idea that no matter what it is, if it doesn't say apple, then it isn't good enough for my grubby mits. You my good friend sum up the Apple User base. 

I bet you are cringing behind your keyboard at the thought of owning something that isn't indeed.. an Apple. 

21 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Can't wait for the $1,200 top-end proprietary-connection unibody Apple D480, which will totally not be a slightly modified RX480 in an aluminum block.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of trouble seeing Apple as anything but a joke at this point. Who really thinks they're going to make the new Mac Pros truly user-serviceable?
And who else couldn't help but either cringe or laugh when they called the 5K iMac "incredibly powerful?"

NVIDIA just released beta drivers for Pascal-based GPUs, and many suspect this is actually a hint that Apple will make a move back to using NVIDIA graphics in some systems.

Apple was very explicit in saying that the next Mac Pro would be expandable and modular.  You will very likely have more control over cards and other peripherals; it's just a question of how.  Just don't expect this to amount to a Mac in a pretty ATX case.

Calling the 5K iMac "incredibly powerful" is a bit hyperbolic, but it is a pretty capable system for the money.  Think about it: you're paying $1,800 for a reasonably quick PC with a 5K display attached.  Up until the LG UltraFine displays arrived, stand-alone 5K displays actually cost more than that by themselves.  And I own one -- it's good for 2D art and most video editing tasks.  I just wouldn't use one for pro 3D modelling, 8K video edits or hardcore gaming.

1 hour ago, Erbyy said:

snip

Your entire mindless rant can be summed up with one line, you are claiming that you can build an equivalent PC for 600 bucks. I'll take the 600 bucks claim as your exaggerated claim (which I shouldn't, because this what haters do), as a consumer equivalent would definitely cost over a $1000 minus beauty, macOS, TB ports and of course workstation grade hardware

You're talking about consumer grade hardware. There is a reason why workstation grade hardware exists and there is a reason why many professionals go for the much more expensive options. In fact, LMG uses Xeons and teslas for their video editing rigs. If you want to know the difference, google it up but as an LTT viewer, you probably should've known this by now

The Mac Pro is actually very compelling for the money and no professionals other than mindless fanboys have claimed that it's expensive. For professionals, it's a worthwhile investment especially with macOS and Final Cut. People were complaining as it Apple didn't update it and it was the highest end mac they could get when there have been updates on CPU and GPUs over the years

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

Apple is successful because they do a lot of things right, which people conveniently forget. Sure is there a little excitement among general consumers around Apple, yes but if it wasn't for their innovations they would've died like Nokia and blackberry did long time ago, both which had a significant share of fanbase

The 5K iMac is a great computer and it also is pretty well priced. It is powerful in the sense of compactness and it's very good for more of lighter professional use like photo editing, canvas designing, etc as opposed to heavier tasks like video editing and 3D modelling. But Apple knows this and is probably the reason why they're going to unveil a much more powerful iMac later this year

3 hours ago, Erbyy said:

6Core 3.5ghz cpu

(New mac pro)

Rant over.  

You know "Don't be a dick" is a rule on this forum? Calm down, your complete lack of common sense and reasoning is giving me cancer

4 hours ago, Erbyy said:

Back at it with the Superiority complex.

I see, its all good. Either way I could sit here and compose a parts list from 2 grand to even 5 grand that would stomp the living daylights out of that trash can and you would sit there and poke fun at the idea that no matter what it is, if it doesn't say apple, then it isn't good enough for my grubby mits. You my good friend sum up the Apple User base. 

I bet you are cringing behind your keyboard at the thought of owning something that isn't indeed.. an Apple. 

I've never owned an Apple computer in my life. $8000 is still a bigger number than $2000.

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

The 5K iMac is a great computer and it also is pretty well priced. It is powerful in the sense of compactness and it's very good for more of lighter professional use like photo editing, canvas designing, etc as opposed to heavier tasks like video editing and 3D modelling. But Apple knows this and is probably the reason why they're going to unveil a much more powerful iMac later this year

It's also worth pointing out that when that 5K iMac was released there was only one other commercially available 5K IPS monitor. It was a Dell, and because of the display port standards available at the time it was a clunky dual-input deal. It was also around the same price as the iMac itself, just for the monitor. So actually if you needed a 5K photo editing machine, and a 5K display to go with it this was the cheapest way of getting that at the time.

On 4/4/2017 at 8:37 AM, RedRound2 said:

Promises a new Radically reworked modular Mac Pro, that can easily be upgraded to satisfy all the disappointed pro users for next year

Uh Huh, riiiight. Just like Apple actually innovates ....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Erbyy said:

That's not saying much if you're sourcing from modern parts. That's like saying you could build a $2000 computer now that will wipe the floor of a $5000 Falcon Northwest special made in 2013.

5 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

You seem forget that every, and i mean EVERY, single pro level computer Apple had every built until the nMP were user serviceable. The old Mac Pro, the Power Mac's, and hell even the Macintosh's (Albeit you had to buy a fancy screw driver but was otherwise pretty user serviceable). I have a 2006 Mac Pro that I upgraded to 32GB of ram and 2 2.66Ghz Quads, A PowerMac G5 that I upgraded the ram, and several G4's that I fixed recently were super easy to work on. Apple can make things easy to work on when they want.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

On 4/4/2017 at 9:45 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

Regarding the outdated hardware; The CEO must have read all my comments on LTT about my foot and his ass

This made my day.

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.4 GHz
Mobo | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

GPU | Sapphire NITRO+ RX-580

RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Case | Fractal Design Define R6

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

Keys | Corsair K70 RGB Mk2, MX-Red

Mouse | Logitech M215v2 Wireless

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

RAM | 4GB Kingston ValuRAM

SSD | 120GB Adata

HDD | 2x Toshiba 3TB, 3x Hitachi 2TB

PSU | EVGA 600B

Case | Cooler Master N300

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

MODEL | Asus X550IU "Signature Edition" (whatever that means)

APU | AMD FX-9830P with Radeon R7 Graphics
GPU | Radeon RX-460

SSD | Mushkin Triactor 500GB

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

2 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

You seem forget that every, and i mean EVERY, single pro level computer Apple had every built until the nMP were user serviceable. The old Mac Pro, the Power Mac's, and hell even the Macintosh's (Albeit you had to buy a fancy screw driver but was otherwise pretty user serviceable). I have a 2006 Mac Pro that I upgraded to 32GB of ram and 2 2.66Ghz Quads, A PowerMac G5 that I upgraded the ram, and several G4's that I fixed recently were super easy to work on. Apple can make things easy to work on when they want.

I'm not saying they've always been the way they are, just that how they are now makes really user-serviceable products unlikely.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.