'Star Wars' styled Superlaser may be in the works

In an article I first read on Engadget then followed up on Phys.org, researchers at Macquarie University have provided a method for combining multiple lasers into a single beam to multiply the power output.  From the Phys.org article:

https://phys.org/news/2017-04-star-wars-superlaser-longer-sci-fi.html

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/03/scientists-develop-death-star-like-laser/

The research, published in Laser and Photonics Reviews demonstrates a concept – reminiscent of the Star Wars Death Star sci-fi laser – where the power of multiple laser beams is transferred into a single intense output beam that can be directed to the intended target.

This new laser development has real-world and high-stakes applications in which high power lasers are seen as a key tool in areas such as defence.

"Researchers are developing high power lasers to combat threats to security from the increased proliferation of low-cost drones and missile technology. High power lasers are also needed in space applications including powering space vehicles and tackling the growing space junk problem that threatens satellites," said co-author Associate Professor Rich Mildren.

The key to the high-powered beam is placing an ultra-pure diamond crystal at the point of convergence, and the beam-combining is achieved in diamond by harnessing a co-operative effect of the crystal that causes intense light beams to transfer their power into a selected direction while avoiding the beam distortion problems of single laser technologies.

I can definitely see some of the applications for this, especially if as the article states, the diamonds rapidly dissipate the waste heat, allowing for multiple low power lasers to operate in a more rapid procession.  Of course this also means that any 'Rebel Scum' out there may need to watch out for rogue Space Stations xD...  Have to say this is another case of why I love science!

Alderaan be afraid, be very afraid

To be fair, the "Star Wars" death star superlaser uses some "magic" method (probably some BS technobabble about magnetic fields) to combine the beams together in front of the weapon in open space.

Whereas in reality, the individual beams will likely be combined together inside the device itself using mirrors and/or prisms.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To be fair, the "Star Wars" death star superlaser uses some "magic" method (probably some BS technobabble about magnetic fields) to combine the beams together in front of the weapon in open space.

Whereas in reality, the individual beams will likely be combined together inside the device itself using mirrors and/or prisms.

And it would require more mass than in the entire solar system to power it, assuming General Relativity is correct. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Nah, the Death Star just uses special crystals (aka magic), the same type found in a lightsaber. No further explanation is given (and in fact, no explanation at all is given in the original trilogy).

Yes, of course this has nothing to do with the actual discovery other than the general idea of multiple laser beams feeding a larger one. Also you'd need an unimaginable amount of power to actually blow up a planet with a laser.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So, we're talking laser tech within laser tech within laser tech? That's a sh#t-ton of lazer beams.

Spoiler

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nah, the Death Star just uses special crystals (aka magic), the same type found in a lightsaber. No further explanation is given (and in fact, no explanation at all is given in the original trilogy).

Yes, of course this has nothing to do with the actual discovery other than the general idea of multiple laser beams feeding a larger one. Also you'd need an unimaginable amount of power to actually blow up a planet with a laser.

The crystals focus the individual beams. There is nothing that I am currently aware of in Canon that explains how those beams meet (by the looks of it, hundreds of meters in space in front of the emitters) and merge into a single beam.

Kyber crystals focus the energy of each individual reactor, and allow the creation of individual beams.

As I said, it's probably some sort of bs technobabble with magnetic fields that merges the beams together.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The crystals focus the individual beams. There is nothing that I am currently aware of in Canon that explains how those beams meet (by the looks of it, hundreds of meters in space in front of the emitters) and merge into a single beam.

Kyber crystals focus the energy of each individual reactor, and allow the creation of individual beams.

As I said, it's probably some sort of bs technobabble with magnetic fields that merges the beams together.

Honestly when it comes to sw I'm content with the "it's magic" explanation, technobabble ruins it imo

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Honestly when it comes to sw I'm content with the "it's magic" explanation, technobabble ruins it imo

Like those people who say that Transformers is unrealistic... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Sauron said:

Eh - "it's magic" works fine when it's something to do with the Force.

But for a mechanical engineering feat such as the Death Star? That's goddamn bullshit. I'd rather some well thought out technobabble that - if nothing else - stays consistent within the universe.

29 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Eh - "it's magic" works fine when it's something to do with the Force.

But for a mechanical engineering feat such as the Death Star? That's goddamn bullshit. I'd rather some well thought out technobabble that - if nothing else - stays consistent within the universe.

Something like they use a tractor beam to hover a focusing crystal at the focal point of the lasers and the energy of each focused shot is so much that they have to use a new crystal each time...

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Something like they use a tractor beam to hover a focusing crystal at the focal point of the lasers and the energy of each focused shot is so much that they have to use a new crystal each time...

That would be goddamn fucking retarded... Just sayin' :P

That's more of an example of "a stupid reconn just to try and fix something no one cares about anyway" - assuming of course, that your answer was official and Canon :P

ITT: People argue about a fictional weapon. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, marldorthegreat said:

And it would require more mass than in the entire solar system to power it, assuming General Relativity is correct. 

Well, there tends to be no shortage of energy output from the star of said solar system. Assuming a clear path, a laser beam should travel through space with minimal or no energy loss (no air to scatter light or otherwise absorb the energy), allowing for a very high powered laser placed near the star to reach very long distances.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, there tends to be no shortage of energy output from the star of said solar system. Assuming a clear path, a laser beam should travel through space with minimal or no energy loss (no air to scatter light or otherwise absorb the energy), allowing for a very high powered laser placed near the star to reach very long distances.

This is also a civilization that is psuedo galaxy wide, so their technology is extremely advanced. In Legends, the Death Star (along with Star Destroyers in general) was powered by an artificial singularity. I'm not sure if this has been reconfirmed as New Canon though.

7 hours ago, marldorthegreat said:

Only needs the mass of Mount Everest to blow up an Earth sized planet. :)

https://youtu.be/HDL0KAm9Cbs

The crystals that power light sabers are connected to the Force. They're defaultly tunned to the light side of the Force. Siths need to corrupt them, so they can use them (that's why their light sabers are red).

So it is basically magic. Or if it isn't magic, it is something that we don't have in our universe (or if we do, we can't measure it or use it, yet).

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I'm not sure I'm following... 

... but what you are saying is laser-charging for iPhone? 

3 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

The crystals that power light sabers are connected to the Force. They're defaultly tunned to the light side of the Force. Siths need to corrupt them, so they can use them (that's why their light sabers are red).

So it is basically magic. Or if it isn't magic, it is something that we don't have in our universe (or if we do, we can't measure it or use it, yet).

Personally, I don't like the New Canon idea that Kyber Crystals are only visible to "Jedi", and that they're tuned to the light side by default.

It goes against everything they're building towards - that the force is bigger than one side, and that the Jedi were too narrow in their view of the force.

I would suggest that while Sith corrupt the crystals via leeching, Jedi "corrupt" (or infuse them, if you will) with the light side of the Force when the crystal is tuned to the Jedi who owns it (also the same moment a crystal takes on a colour). I don't think the Crystals themselves are naturally "light side", because that would assume the Force itself naturally leans to the Light. To me, the Bindu seem to be the closest thing to the embodiment of the Force - perfect balance of Light and Dark.

11 hours ago, Deli said:

Only needs the mass of Mount Everest to blow up an Earth sized planet. :)

https://youtu.be/HDL0KAm9Cbs

Assuming that a lase of that size and magnitude would be 100 percent efficient is very silly, we did this in physics. The teacher was talking about how it would have an efficiency of around 0.001%, due to the size/ 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

1 minute ago, marldorthegreat said:

Assuming that a lase of that size and magnitude would be 100 percent efficient is very silly, we did this in physics. The teacher was talking about how it would have an efficiency of around 0.001%, due to the size/ 

Come on, we are arguing technology doesn't exist. Don't take the Starwars thing too seriously. :)

8 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

4 minutes ago, Deli said:

Come on, we are arguing technology doesn't exist. Don't take the Starwars thing too seriously. :)

I have to agree with @Deli. How would your Physics Professor know how efficient the laser on the Death Star would be, considering it's fictional technology, in a fictional universe with advanced physics that far outstrip our own understanding?