Intel "launches" Optane for the consumer market

zMeul
3 hours ago, zMeul said:

s

doesn't all this sound familiar? it does ...

back in 2011 Intel introduced RST (Rapid Storage Technology), that allowed consumers to use a (small) SSD as cache for the main disk drive (HDD) trough one of RST's components (Smart Response Technology)

these units will be available April 24th in 16GB and 32GB models

oh .. and by the way, because I would assume people aren't clear on this: Intel Optane is not a disk drive - it can only be used as cache!

you cannot boot from it nor install anything on it - it's only visible by Intel's own ecosystem and hidden to the user

---

So... Robson memory all over again? 

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So... Robson memory all over again? 

this would be their 3rd attempt - 3rd time's the charm, eh xD

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

well yeah and no

the thing with Optane would be if you can attach it to a large HDD and still get access speeds just as you would from a NVMe drive

Even the best cache can't make an HDD keep up with SSDs overall. A cache is better than nothing, but it's practically never as good as "real" solid-state storage.

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The specs that were listed appear to be no better than the Samsung 960 Pro, or even the 950 Pro. I have a 950 Pro, it doesn't feel any better than the 850 EVO I have in my laptop.

Plus most of the stuff you use in the OS should be living in RAM after a day of uptime.

as i said, the speed rating you see in your 950 is only achieved in high queue depths, which means you need bigger single data transfers for you to get high speeds, optane achieves its high speeds at really low queue depth so most small data transfers are really fast, many times faster than nvme ssds

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

that's the biggest advantage of this tech because it will allow you to "speed up" your Terabytes HDD - sort of SSHD on steroids

we'll see how it actually performs in a month or so

the thing is that they could have had both things, being able to setup up a cache shouldn't interfere with the ability of using it as a normal drive

inb4 people complain the AMD platform won't be supporting this.

Also, Intel is cringe as fook

tiers.png

"Fanatic Gamer" FEOKFPERGREQG CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES PLZ

"eSport Gamer" for Intel Optane SSD tier. L. M. A. O.   Can't wait to see good ole SwagChode during the CS:GO tournament talk about how Intel Optane makes him so good.

"100 GB/day" but no warranty duration provided

280 MB/s write at QD4 (relatively high QD for a consumer workload)

77$ for 32GB nostalgia factor

Still not worth it

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

For most consumers seems kinda pointless but I wonder if a pro-sumer working with workstations and such (*blink* *blink* LMG) would actually see results on a server running big arrays of hdds and stuff.

-------

Current Rig

-------

43 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

inb4 people complain the AMD platform won't be supporting this.

Also, Intel is cringe as fook

tiers.png

"Fanatic Gamer" FEOKFPERGREQG CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES PLZ

"eSport Gamer" for Intel Optane SSD tier. L. M. A. O.   Can't wait to see good ole SwagChode during the CS:GO tournament talk about how Intel Optane makes him so good.

That's refering to full Optane SSDs. That's not what these Optane drives that are coming out are. These are the system accelerators that they've been talking about for a while.

The full-blown SSDs are going to wind up being *super* expensive. That's why they're prosumer/eSports grade. Judging by the current price trend you're looking at ~$540 for their 256GB Optane SSD when it comes out down the line.

These 16GB and 32GB system accelerator modules are more meant for mainstream consumers who benefit from the snappyness increase of the OS, and also from the large storage space of a HDD. It'll be of most benefit in mainstream laptops moreso than enthusiast desktops.

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

For most consumers seems kinda pointless but I wonder if a pro-sumer working with workstations and such (*blink* *blink* LMG) would actually see results on a server running big arrays of hdds and stuff.

I'd actually suggest the opposite. The larger raid arrays should see less benefit to this because the raid helps to mask some of the performance issues with Hard Drives. Regular Joe consumer systems are where the biggest impact lies, with the ability for laptop makers to have a 2TB hard drive and still get some of the responsiveness of a solid state drive alongside it.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

I don't know how to read so my apologies. Next time I'll actually try harder to understand what it is that I'm reading. I mean, I swear the top tier in that infographic said "Intel Optane SSD", buuuuut I guess not?

Just now, Kloaked said:

I don't know how to read so my apologies. Next time I'll actually try harder to understand what it is that I'm reading. I mean, I swear the top tier in that infographic said "Intel Optane SSD", buuuuut I guess not?

Yes. But an "Optane SSD" is not the same as an "Optane System Accelerator" or "Optane Memory". Not disagreeing with you that it's overkill, was just clarifying for people who read through in the future that the infographic you posted is not actually related to the 16/32GB SSDs from the OP. They're 3 different product classes.

These 16/32GB cache SSDs from the OP are "Optane System Accelerators".

The "Optane SSDs" refered to in that infographic are larger traditional m.2 nvme SSDs that don't act as cache.

And "Optane Memory" are the NVRAM SSDs meant more for server workloads.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

People who know how to read would see the surrounding text of what I said. If they ignore that, then that's on them for being dumb.

I see a lot of people completely not understanding this product and calling it a shitty SSD.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I don't really understand the purpose of this... It benefits HDD users a whole lot sure. but really how much for about SSD users? Shaving 1 or 2 seconds probably won't be worth $50 for most people, it has to offer something unique to SSD users if this technology is going to even be relevant in a few years.
Lets face it the HDD's days are numbered, Once 500GB SSDs are <$100, there is probably going to be a large spike in amount of SSD users, and once 1TB hits that price point, consider the HDD boot drive dead in all but the cheapest of prebuilts.
- I honestly see 500GB SSDs being under $100 in maybe 2 years.

EDIT:   Some googling for recommended SSDs from articles from years past have lead me to these numbers:
Right now SSDs sit at ~$0.30/GB,   3 years ago ~$0.80/GB,    6 years ago ~$1.80/GB.
Leading me to guess in 2020 SSDs will be... ~$0.12/GB - That put 1TB SSDs in the price range that cheaper 500GB SSDs and expensive 250GB SSDs are today.

3 hours ago, Sypran said:

Once 500GB SSDs are <$100

yeah .. ever -_-

Said it before, will say it again. Optane is a gimmick. Great idea on paper, but not practical in it's application. If you are going to cache a slow drive, you can use ram and get faster results. With modern platforms supporting 64gb of ram, you can keep 16gb of ram for your system, and have a 48gb primocache for your spinners, and achieve faster performance all around. Yes, it has the added drawback that if your system crashes, nothing will be saved, but even then, you could technically use Primocache's other feature, which simply uses your SSD itself to cache an HDD. Seeing as these Optane drives are no faster than other PCIe based M.2 SSD's, it would still be more economical to spend $200 on a 500gb PCIe SSD and go that route instead.

Optane will only be good for devices that have a finite amount of space for traditional storage. For consumers with larger PC's and laptops, it won't really matter at all. We can simply throw more ram and SSD's at this problem if we absolutely need to, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I'll just put this in here for those that haven't seen it yet :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

43 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Said it before, will say it again. Optane is a gimmick. Great idea on paper, but not practical in it's application. If you are going to cache a slow drive, you can use ram and get faster results. With modern platforms supporting 64gb of ram, you can keep 16gb of ram for your system, and have a 48gb primocache for your spinners, and achieve faster performance all around. Yes, it has the added drawback that if your system crashes, nothing will be saved, but even then, you could technically use Primocache's other feature, which simply uses your SSD itself to cache an HDD. Seeing as these Optane drives are no faster than other PCIe based M.2 SSD's, it would still be more economical to spend $200 on a 500gb PCIe SSD and go that route instead.

Optane will only be good for devices that have a finite amount of space for traditional storage. For consumers with larger PC's and laptops, it won't really matter at all. We can simply throw more ram and SSD's at this problem if we absolutely need to, lol. 

Shows how little you know. This is top tier stuff for the FANATIC GAMER and eSPORTS GAMER!!

41 minutes ago, Syfes said:

I'll just put this in here for those that haven't seen it yet :)

seen it, Linus being a mouthpiece for Intel

doesn't tell us anything on how it actually compares to SSDs

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

seen it, Linus being a mouthpiece for Intel

doesn't tell us anything on how it actually compares to SSDs

True enough, guess it'll be a couple more days / weeks until we see independent reviews. Based on the figures shown in this 'test', my guess is that this'll offer little or no improvements for people using SSD's with TRIM support.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

3 minutes ago, Syfes said:

True enough, guess it'll be a couple more days / weeks until we see independent reviews. Based on the figures shown in this 'test', my guess is that this'll offer little or no improvements for people using SSD's with TRIM support.

you mean month - actual availability is set for April 24th

TRIM has nothing to do with it

38 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Shows how little you know. This is top tier stuff for the FANATIC GAMER and eSPORTS GAMER!!

Fontastic.

20 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

buys an optane just to boot windows and launching minecraft is plain stupid, yet I can see some people will still do it

Yeah at least its only $50 so its not a huge waste.

Personally even crappier sandisk SSD i have is good enough mostly for my self I Push on the tower sit down hit screen on Moinitor loads up by the time moinitor detects the correct input and maybe switches to it windows login is there or logged in if i did it without visuals. anything faster wont make a big difference in a situation like this. rather put the $50 into a better or higher cap SSD