AMD speaks on W10 scheduler and Ryzen

I like the part where @zMeul calls Anandtech an invalid source, but uses a random guy with a Ryzen logo as an avatar on their very forums as a source, simply because it agrees with his data. 

My personal stance is this: If a source cannot release their full testing methodology (list of all hardware, the speeds of their hardware, and the specific settings used in each test) then I cannot completely trust it as a valid source. In a lot of the CPU tests being used to test IPC, memory tends to play a very dramatic part in them. Who is to say the "14%" number you keep on quoting zMeul, doesn't come from the increased bandwidth/lower latency of DDR4? We won't know for certain, because we have no idea what memory was used.

Call Anandtech's numbers wrong all you like, but several sources match their Haswell to Broadwell IPC numbers (3-4%), and if you think Skylake/Kaby Lake yielded a 10% IPC boost over Broadwell, you are out of your mind. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Tomsen said:

Its quite simple. Because each CCX has its own L3 cache.

So the cores in CCX[0] can't see the cache in CCX[1]. [0] being the first and [1] being the second CCX cluster.

Except for the fact that core 2 quads were using MCM whereas ryzen is a single die.

It is not impossible for microsoft to optimize for zen architecture. For example, keep all the processes spawned from one program on a single CCX.

Ryzen is NOT a single die. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

12 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

-snip-

I'm not sure you were paying attention to what he was saying in that video...

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote-11.jpg

Isn't that guy basically another Patrick waiting for a ban? I was hoping intelligent discourse here, but whenever I see such a thing...

Knew it. Ryzen performs as it should, isn't a repeat of Bulldozer, and Windows 10 is still ass.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

Isn't that guy basically another Patrick waiting for a ban? I was hoping intelligent discourse here, but whenever I see such a thing...

I've heard a lot of stuff about this "Patrick" guy being awful, but what exactly was he doing that got him kicked off LTT?  I've personally never encountered him, and I'm curious.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

except it's ~14% xD

Ryzen on DDR4 does less than Haswell IPC .. or you did forgot that

Dat DDR3 1333 used with my 4790K......

PMSL

7 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

I've heard a lot of stuff about this "Patrick" guy being awful, but what exactly was he doing that got him kicked off LTT?  I've personally never encountered him, and I'm curious.

Stubborn =/= awful... mostly.  Man was he stubborn, but I like to think the forums were more interesting with him around.  His ego would not let him be proven wrong.  He was not a bad guy, not with any interaction I had with him.

The first time I argued with him, I kept calling him "Mr. Masters of Computer Science"... he was formally trained as an engineer of sorts.

36 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Ryzen is NOT a single die. 

Which means that the Core 2 uads could happen all over again-1 die being better binned than the other, and running 10oC cooler.

PMSL

25 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Stubborn =/= awful... mostly.  Man was he stubborn, but I like to think the forums were more interesting with him around.  His ego would not let him be proven wrong.  He was not a bad guy, not with any interaction I had with him.

The first time I argued with him, I kept calling him "Mr. Masters of Computer Science"... he was formally trained as an engineer of sorts.

Pretty much this. Intelligent guy which is the type of person I like talking to, unfortunately lacking in the social interaction and courtesy area.

Also he was educated in Computer Science, specifically in software development field, he wasn't all that knowledgeable in the hardware aspects of things and that is where most of his arguments stemmed from. Mostly in the high-end enterprise and high performance computing hardware discussions which is a field I directly work in being a Systems Engineer in an IT department of a university.

does anyone have a block diagram for Ryzen?

I'm searching for something rather detailed, like the one for Bulldozer:

Spoiler

AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_(8_core_CPU)

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

does anyone have a block diagram for Ryzen?

I'm searching for something rather detailed, like the one for Bulldozer:

Hide contents

AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_(8_core_CPU)

As far as I know they only showed this:

35743_amd%20ryzen%20ccx%20block%20diagra

5 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

As far as I know they only showed this:

I know that one, it's shit -_-

57 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

Nahh, zMeul seems to be pretty okay on topics that aren't AMD-related.  He gets into it with people, argues points hard, and tends to select the "AMD are morons" conclusion in any way he can with the data given, but typically keeps the arguments on-topic.  zMeul provides links to support his arguments.  I might disagree with his conclusions, but he's a sane person with an odd grudge.

Patrick made genuinely absurd claims, and would argue them to death, often making additional equally absurd claims in an attempt to either support his point or deflect entirely.  Also liked to whip his education out and attempt to belittle people.  I think the best example was the Bristol Ridge delid thread, where he was adament that the CPU in the image was actually an old xeon model that didn't actually exist.  He'd also cite unverifiable sources like "my contacts that work in ______ chip fab" say Ryzen will never clock above X.Y GHz (somewhere in the low 3's I think).

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

13 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Nahh, zMeul seems to be pretty okay on topics that aren't AMD-related.  He gets into it with people, argues points hard, and tends to select the "AMD are morons" conclusion in any way he can with the data given, but typically keeps the arguments on-topic.  zMeul provides links to support his arguments.  I might disagree with his conclusions, but he's a sane person with an odd grudge.

Patrick made genuinely absurd claims, and would argue them to death, often making additional equally absurd claims in an attempt to either support his point or deflect entirely.  Also liked to whip his education out and attempt to belittle people.  I think the best example was the Bristol Ridge delid thread, where he was adament that the CPU in the image was actually an old xeon model that didn't actually exist.  He'd also cite unverifiable sources like "my contacts that work in ______ chip fab" say Ryzen will never clock above X.Y GHz (somewhere in the low 3's I think).

Then there was "pirate this expensive textbook if you can't buy it".

PMSL

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

if you have that kind of workload, it should be no problem to use a Intel Xtreme CPU ...

If you have that kind of workload then you will do better to buy two ten core Xeons, a motherboard and ram for the price of the 6950x.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just now, Fetzie said:

If you have that kind of workload then you will do better to buy two ten core Xeons, a motherboard and ram for the price of the 6950x.

Even older, second hand Xeons.

PMSL

Just now, Fetzie said:

not if the workload is CPU core speed dependent

haven't you watched the Linus video already? he put a Xeon and saw crap performance, put the Xtreme chip and saw very good perf

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Even older, second hand Xeons.

And you would be getting ECC memory support (like on Ryzen, incidentally - z270 and X99 don't get that)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

I'm not sure you were paying attention to what he was saying in that video...

Hide contents

AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote-11.jpg

My apologies. No they are a single die but the way that looks to me is when data is transferred between CCX's there is going to be an increase in latency just due to design.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Pretty much this. Intelligent guy which is the type of person I like talking to, unfortunately lacking in the social interaction and courtesy area.

Also he was educated in Computer Science, specifically in software development field, he wasn't all that knowledgeable in the hardware aspects of things and that is where most of his arguments stemmed from. Mostly in the high-end enterprise and high performance computing hardware discussions which is a field I directly work in being a Systems Engineer in an IT department of a university.

Don't get ahead of yourself, patrick was only proven wrong twice here and that says enough, be would bring that up everytime you dared to tell him you've proven him wrong. Statistics matter. And he was the type that would never ignore your posts. Especially when you ask him for the 3rd time in 6 months to reply to your post, you were probably not worthy of his time. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Don't get ahead of yourself, patrick was only proven wrong twice here and that says enough, be would bring that up everytime you dared to tell him you've proven him wrong. Statistics matter. And he was the type that would never ignore your posts. Especially when you ask him for the 3rd time in 6 months to reply to your post, you were probably not worthy of his time. 

Well I don't exactly keep count of anyone been proven wrong ever, what would be the point of that? Anyway I know of more than two times he's been completely wrong, but so what no body is correct all the time. I'm not even sure why that even matters?

Intelligence or self belief in ones point of view does not excuse anyone from following the Community Standards, particularly in his case being civil to all members of the forum and not constantly trying to belittle everyone.

And just so you know I actually advocated for him to not be permanently banned.

Edit:

Take it to PM if you want to discuss it further, not exactly on topic to the thread.