AMD speaks on W10 scheduler and Ryzen

30 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Can I just bottle up the tears of AMD fanboys?  They taste delicious and I want to be able to enjoy them year round.

looking at your signature you have more money than you could care for. I mean.. you seem like the person who cares purely about raw performance of saving money so good on ya

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

So basically if you're a pure gamer don't buy it. This still doesn't change my stance on the matter.

If you're only gaming, get the 7700k. If you're doing a mix of content creation and gaming, get the 1700. If you like giving AMD free money, get the 1800x or 1700x, and if you're filthy rich get the 6900k.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

And Intel has only improved on Haswell a little. So AMD is only a little behind in gaming performance, because that's what the benchmarks show.

9 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Exactly, and within 4 years, Intel managed to improve IPC by a whopping 5-8% when comparing Haswell to Kaby.

That's because Intel was(and still) so far ahead that they didn't feel the need to push further beyond.

i honestly find the point below that also worth mentioning

Temperature Reporting

The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy.

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X and 1800X carry a +20°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X can simply subtract 20°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor. No arithmetic is required for the Ryzen 7 1700. Long term, we expect temperature monitoring software to better understand our tCTL offsets to report the junction temperature automatically.

The table below serves as an example of how the tCTL sensor can be interpreted in a hypothetical scenario where a Ryzen processor is operating at 38°C.

Product Name True Junction Temp (Example) tCTL Offset for Fan Policy Temp Reported by tCTL
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1800X 38°C 20°C 58°C
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X 38°C 20°C 58°C
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 38°C 0°C 38°C

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

So basically if you're a pure gamer don't buy it. This still doesn't change my stance on the matter.

If you're only gaming, get the 7700k. If you're doing a mix of content creation and gaming, get the 1700. If you like giving AMD free money, get the 1800x or 1700x, and if you're filthy rich get the 6900k.

not that simple

Puget Systems has done some real world test workloads (not games) and concluded, in two cases, the 7700K is the better buy

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not that simple

Puget Systems has done some real world test workloads (not games) and concluded, in two cases, the 7700K is the better buy

Hmmm interesting. Seems like these workloads are more single core heavy than many rendering workloads. That's still pretty specific though, so generally for content creators I'd still recommend Ryzen.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

24 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except it's ~14% xD

Ryzen on DDR4 does less than Haswell IPC .. or you did forgot that

Where is that 14% number? We see Broadwell giving a 3% improvement, and Skylake/Kaby giving another 2-3% on top of that.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not that simple

Good ole Adobe, still can't optimise their software to save their lives.

You know they're shit when Apple can get FCPX on a MacBook Pro to beat a vastly more powerful custom Windows Workstation that's running Premiere Pro.

One day they'll get their finger out, and the world shall rejoice! 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

14 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

That's because Intel was(and still) so far ahead that they didn't feel the need to push further beyond.

No, it's because Intel can't do the impossible. The best we're going to see are minor clockspeed boosts, from refining of their manufacturing, and maybe a 1% IPC improvement in cherry picked scenarios, so long as we're still on silicon.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Where is that 14% number? We see Broadwell giving a 3% improvement, and Skylake/Kaby giving another 2-3% on top of that.

His bullshit 14% is his claim on how far behind Ryzen is, when in reality, under operating systems that are actually using Ryzen correctly, it falls in between Haswell and Broadwell for all but specific revisions of AVX.

And the 3% number for Broadwell is quite generous. It's more in the neighborhod of 1% for an across the board figure.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, it's because Intel can't do the impossible. The best we're going to see are minor clockspeed boosts, from refining of their manufacturing, and maybe a 1% IPC improvement in cherry picked scenarios, so long as we're still on silicon.

His bullshit 14% is his claim on how far behind Ryzen is, when in reality, under operating systems that are actually using Ryzen correctly, it falls in between Haswell and Broadwell for all but specific revisions of AVX.

And the 3% number for Broadwell is quite generous. It's more in the neighborhod of 1% for an across the board figure.

Actually, Haswell to Broadwell IPC improvments are just above 3%, not 1% ... and less than 3% from Broadwell to Skylake, so around 6% from Haswell to Skylake.

Source;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

30 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Still think that MS can mitigate the cache latency between CCXs by adjusting their scheduler.

How come ryzens latency within CCX'S is so much lower? 

20 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Check out stilts benchmarks from zmeuls IPC thread. It seems to indicate a roughly 14% IPC advantage for kaby lake. Although, there is also a lot of variance in test runs (in general), so it kind of makes me question the way we generally test IPC -- you really need to average out a lot of runs to minimize variances in testing, and I'm not sure how many tests reviewers end of averaging.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Actually, Haswell to Broadwell IPC improvments are just above 3%, not 1% ... and less than 3% from Broadwell to Skylake, so around 6% from Haswell to Skylake.

Source;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

To further add to the Broadwell/Haswell info pool: https://us.hardware.info/reviews/6215/2/intel-five-generation-ipc-test-broadwell-haswell-ivy-bridge-sandy-bridge-and-nehalem-results

Results seem very similar to what Anandtech saw. As for the Skylake vs Haswell argument, it's hard to find people that test DDR3 on Skylake to remove the variables.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Check out stilts benchmarks from zmeuls IPC thread. It seems to indicate a roughly 14% IPC advantage for kaby lake. Although, there is also a lot of variance in test runs (in general), so it kind of makes me question the way we generally test IPC -- you really need to average out a lot of runs to minimize variances in testing, and I'm not sure how many tests reviewers end of averaging.

I've seen that information. I am not entirely sold on it's validity. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

To further add to the Broadwell/Haswell info pool: https://us.hardware.info/reviews/6215/2/intel-five-generation-ipc-test-broadwell-haswell-ivy-bridge-sandy-bridge-and-nehalem-results

Results seem very similar to what Anandtech saw. As for the Skylake vs Haswell argument, it's hard to find people that test DDR3 on Skylake to remove the variables.

I've seen that information. I am not entirely sold on it's validity. 

It still points to a lot of inconsistencies between testing runs. Id just really like to see someone do a lot more in depth IPC testing taking into account testing inaccuracies. One thing I noticed, when I was digging into Stilt's results, is a 10%~ variance in CB runs, that's a pretty large variance when trying to compare two very close CPUs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

52 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Still think that MS can mitigate the cache latency between CCXs by adjusting their scheduler.

Not likely. That isn't a scheduling issue. Ryzen chips are built in a similar form to how the Core 2 Quads were made. They take a Quad core and connect it to another on the same package. The latency is the fact it is having to move data outside of one chip to another and then out. That is simply an architecture problem. Nothing microsoft can do.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

so generally for content creators I'd still recommend Ryzen.

you mean workloads that can be accelerated by GPUs?! it makes no sense to buy Zen

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

very very bad idea

if they adjust the CCX scheduling that will create issues further down the line for the 6 core and 4 core Zen CPUs, R5 and R3 ... if memory serves

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Source;

those tests have proven to be quite wrong

we had a lengthy debate over the Zen IPC thread and found out the results from Anand's testing do not match with other tests and my very own - the very specific Cinebench R15

one other thing: if some of the tests were done with W7 and others with W10, it invalidates the results

W10 scheduler aside, specially now. I'm more interested to see the effect of 'optimizations for Zen architecture' for software that doesn't leverage it to it's potential.

We've seen numerous games where it performs very good and some where it performs very odd. It all comes to how many cores each game use and API but still.

Though shame it can't have frequencies like latest FX CPUs though. That'd be great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

53 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Its quite simple. Because each CCX has its own L3 cache.

So the cores in CCX[0] can't see the cache in CCX[1]. [0] being the first and [1] being the second CCX cluster.

34 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Not likely. That isn't a scheduling issue. Ryzen chips are built in a similar form to how the Core 2 Quads were made. They take a Quad core and connect it to another on the same package. The latency is the fact it is having to move data outside of one chip to another and then out. That is simply an architecture problem. Nothing microsoft can do.

Except for the fact that core 2 quads were using MCM whereas ryzen is a single die.

It is not impossible for microsoft to optimize for zen architecture. For example, keep all the processes spawned from one program on a single CCX.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you mean workloads that can be accelerated by GPUs?! it makes no sense to buy Zen

With that logic, you could say that it also makes no sense to buy Intel Extreme processors.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

very very bad idea

if they adjust the CCX scheduling that will create issues further down the line for the 6 core and 4 core Zen CPUs, R5 and R3 ... if memory serves

You are dead wrong. The same scheduling optimization will work on the 6 core, and the 4 core wont even have the issue to begin with. Your memory is bugged.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

not that simple

I enjoy how ridiculous those Premiere benchmarks are considering they didn't give them all a solid clock to hold for the entire test nor did they mention what they ran at during the entirety of the benchmark other than, yeah, here's the turbo range, figure it out, but here's a solid clock for Ryzen. I'll take the other 20 reputable benchmarks from places like guru3d, gamernexus, anandtech, and pcper over pugetsystems, a company who I didn't even know still existed and is not a professional reviewer, clearly, from how they conduct their benchmarks.

The 1800x and 1700x consistently beats the 6900k in single thread benchmarks in Cinebench R15 as well as multi-thread, however that is just one benchmark. On average in rendering tests, the 1800x performs as follows:

-3% Corona Photorealism 1.3
-10% Blender 2.78
-5% Luxmark C++
-27% Luxmark OpenCl
+11% POV Ray 3.7
+4% Cinebench R15 Singlethread
+10% Cinebench R15 Multithread

All percentages were done comparing the 1800x at stock to the 6900k at stock using Anandtechs rendering benchmark scores.

So if an average of 10% loss in performance in some rendering tests is of concern to you and you need to spend another $520 for 10% more performance for your render, then well, you be you. If you are not insane however like @zMeul, and are an actual consumer looking for an amazing processor for the price for rendering, then this processor is for you!  

In addition, if you are playing at 1440p or above in a majority of games, you should expect parity with other processors including the 6900k. However, if you are gaming at 1080p and below, well I would say that you should hold off for a bit until the Ryzen platform matures a bit, if you seriously need a CPU like immediately because you can't wait any longer to make that sweet build, then I would recommend you go for the 7700k which overclocks like a beast or alternatively, if you wanted a good Quad core with no hyperthreading, I personally recommend the 7600k over the 6600k which is what I am running because Kaby Lake seems to overclock much better than the latter. Now if you are buying second hand, you could go for a 6600k/6700k or you can take it a step higher if you can find a good 5820k those overclock pretty easily and the extra 2 cores are great for more cpu intensive games like GTA V or The Division.

Edit: Benchmark links that were used

Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/18

Guru3d (Page 16 on): http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_processor_review,16.html

2 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

With that logic, you could say that it also makes no sense to buy Intel Extreme processors.

who the fuck even buys Intel Extreme?! you are that rich .. go ahead

if you have workloads that prefers i7-6950X, then it should be no problem paying for it - normal people don't have those types of workloads